BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Australia we had a law that all bikes must have there lights on when starting. Thus most bikes have no light switch except for high/low beam. Therefore when turning the ignition the lights are always on. This is really inconvenience sometimes, I left my bike on parking lights on (using the ignition) accidently when going to do some shopping. After a couple of hours and on my return the battery had gone nearly flat. There was probably enough to start it but the headlights again were on!!, thus draining whatever charge there was.

I have seen a thread "Custom Navigation Setup... there was some photos of an LT with a proper light switch. My enquiry is, is there anyone out there who has one of these light switches that I can purchase? and/or have had one installed. What are the electrics that need to be done?

Please advise

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
It is the same here in the US. Even some European contries are now switching to always on headlights.

You can find part numbers for many things under the "Techincal" link at the top of the page here.

The part number for the "Euro" headlight switch is: 60 31 7 650 742

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
After you price those parts you might consider what I have done
to be able to work on the bike without the headlight on.

When I installed my HID low beam
I ran a heavy gauge wire from the headlight back to under the passenger seat
(where all my other accessory fuses are)
I put a fuse holder for the headlight inline
and placed it so the fuse just "peeks" out from under the rear seat,

I simply lift the riders seat and pull the fuse, simple and very inexpensive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Headlight switch

I put a headight switch in every bike I own. If the battery is low or you want to idle (for testing) for extended times I can shut off the biggest power drain. Use a lighted single throw-double pole (or DTDP) 10 amp switch. Cut into to 2 positive wires (NOT brown) going to the headlight bulbs under the front fairing. Mount the switch in an open area under the Trip Computer, bottom right. Run 4 wires to the from the cut headlight wires to the switch. A lighted switch will need a ground. Wrap the wires to prevent chaffing.
DO NOT leave the switch off when riding!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Head Light Switch

Thanks for the info. It maybe the only options. Will try for the part firstly and if cannot get I will go with the switch idea.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Just another word of caution besides the already mentioned
"do not forget to turn the headlight on"

I don't know anything about Australia law,
but the motorcycle headlight on is mandated by the government here in the USA.

If you knowingly "disable" or interrupt a safety device (headlight on)
Your motorcycle insurance company "could" technically refuse to pay a claim and argue that the "collision" was caused by a lack of headlight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Load shed

And just another point, the load shed circuit on the bike turns off the headlight while cranking, so that load is not really an issue starting on a low battery.

I certainly understand wanting it off while working on the bike...

-Scurrie

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
DaveDragon said:
On CAN-BUS BMW Bikes you can kill the headlight once the engine is running by:
Press & hold the TS Cancel Button for 5 seconds then immediately press & hold the Right TS switch for 5 seconds.

The headlight goes out!
Yep. And most CanBus bikes won't fire the headlight when you turn the key on, but wait until after you actually start the bike. Very convenient.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
Here in the UK we can still ride without lights in the daytime, though bikes built since around 2005 have been fitted with continuous lighting.
Prior to that all 1200LT's, RS/GT and Boxers had a factory fited separate 3 position light switch.

This is mounted as part of the right hand switch block to the left of the heated grip button (where there is a horizontal line between the switch block and the handlebar). (I have a Jpeg image but can't seem to load it to this site, but will do so to anyone who e-mails me at [email protected]).

The three positions are OFF - SIDE LIGHTS - MAIN/DIP BEAM. (The Side light position is the same as the PARK position on the steering lock except it also adds the lights on the instrument cluster). This allows UK riders to use no lights, side lights or main/beam as they choose.

You should be able to source this 3 position switch in the UK from BMW dealers here, but to be perfectly correct, you may also wish to have the black switch housing marked in white dots showing the three positions. If so, it might be better to source a second hand complete right hand switch with wiring looms (which will be slightly different (see Clymer wiring diagrams).

Happy riding
Waz

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Light Switch

Waz said:
Hi,
Here in the UK we can still ride without lights in the daytime, though bikes built since around 2005 have been fitted with continuous lighting.
Prior to that all 1200LT's, RS/GT and Boxers had a factory fited separate 3 position light switch.

This is mounted as part of the right hand switch block to the left of the heated grip button (where there is a horizontal line between the switch block and the handlebar). (I have a Jpeg image but can't seem to load it to this site, but will do so to anyone who e-mails me at [email protected]).

The three positions are OFF - SIDE LIGHTS - MAIN/DIP BEAM. (The Side light position is the same as the PARK position on the steering lock except it also adds the lights on the instrument cluster). This allows UK riders to use no lights, side lights or main/beam as they choose.

You should be able to source this 3 position switch in the UK from BMW dealers here, but to be perfectly correct, you may also wish to have the black switch housing marked in white dots showing the three positions. If so, it might be better to source a second hand complete right hand switch with wiring looms (which will be slightly different (see Clymer wiring diagrams).

Happy riding
Waz
Waz

Have sent an email to re the switch and diagram. Thanks for this.

Regards

Graham

1 - 10 of 10 Posts