BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys ever used a 'motorcycle jack' to lift an LT ?...as opposed to a lift-table.

I have a table type, but do not want to tie it up, and the jack style,allows both wheels to hang free.

Ron

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The "Jack Type" won't work on the LT, because tupperware, exhaust, center stand, etc., get in the way.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
hallzee said:
The "Jack Type" won't work on the LT, because tupperware, exhaust, center stand, etc., get in the way.
And, there is no frame for the jack to lift on. Those type motorcycle jacks depend on a lower frame tube on each side, there is NOTHING on the LT you can use. Once tupperware,centerstand, exhaust system are removed, there is nothing flat down there to lift on. The oil pan is fairly flat, but I would not want all that weight on it, and nothing to the rear to match it.

The Frame of the LT is over the top of the engine, engine and transmission are suspended below it, hanging on rubber bushings.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
dshealey said:
And, there is no frame for the jack to lift on. Those type motorcycle jacks depend on a lower frame tube on each side, there is NOTHING on the LT you can use. Once tupperware,centerstand, exhaust system are removed, there is nothing flat down there to lift on. The oil pan is fairly flat, but I would not want all that weight on it, and nothing to the rear to match it.

The Frame of the LT is over the top of the engine, engine and transmission are suspended below it, hanging on rubber bushings.
What he said too...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Should be entirely possible. All you need to do is build a frame for your motorcycle jack that supports the front and rear wheels as they are the only support points strong enough to hold the thing up. Sounds like a table lift to me.

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That looks pretty cool, Dan. What contact points does it use? The vertical bar that comes up the side of the bike.. is that some sort of safety device?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
dfinazzo said:
I have a bike lift that picks up the bike - as others have mentioned to the best of the collective knowledge you cannot use a jack type lift . . . for a lift type click below!!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=440319&postcount=14
As you said in the picture caption, I'd do all torque work on the ground. That's a little high and tight as far as center of gravity for my liking; but to each his own. For simple work, like routine maintenance, might be OK.

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Here is the site for the lift

http://www.lifts-and-stands.com/index.php/eazy-rizer-blue-lift.html

I bought it at the BMWMOA Rally in Johnson City for $400 with an adapter to lift the K1200LT.

Took a little adjustment to work properly - they made a bracket the LT that goes into the two
holes on the side of the bike. Takes a strong drill to raise the bike and as I said before the bike is
a little wobbly on the stand and you do not want to do major work that requires a lot of forces
on the bike.

Would I do it again probably not as I now use this for my lighter bikes . . .

·
Registered
62 Posts
dfinazzo said:
I have a bike lift that picks up the bike - as others have mentioned to the best of the collective knowledge you cannot use a jack type lift . . . for a lift type click below!!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=440319&postcount=14
I use that type of lift on my LT it's called the "Big Blue" works a treat I feel at ease working under the bike when it's up in the air, a bit wobbly but you get used to that. They do various attachments to pick a variety of bikes up. I would recommend this type of lift.

Bren

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Pros for Big Blue is you can:

1. have both wheels off at the same time
2. does not require a seperate jack or a drop plate on a lift
3. if you have a Unigo hitch (I do) you do not neet to take it off to change the rear wheel
4. you have greater access to the bike since there is no plate in your way
5. stores easy and can be moved around - down in the basement for winter time rebuilds.

As usual there are pros and cons to all equipment - I believe these are more popular in Europe where garages are small to non-existent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts