BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I suggest not leaving your tender connected for long periods of time. One day every week or two is plenty. Also push starting will work as long as there's enough current left to charge the fuel rail and you use third gear (not first) to do your push start.

I'm curious about your suggestion. I have tender that's supposed to monitor and trickle charge as needed. Why do you recommend not leaving it connected?

·
Registered
429 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I suggest not leaving your tender connected for long periods of time. One day every week or two is plenty. Also push starting will work as long as there's enough current left to charge the fuel rail and you use third gear (not first) to do your push start.

Oops, never mind. I think you already answered my question to someone else.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just pulled my stock battery out after 6.5 years and 33K miles, and it was still cranking like new.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine died this spring @ 4yrs/8K miles.
Replaced it with a WestCo AGM.
I think the electrics on these bikes have a pretty heavy drain factor.
When I hook her up to the trickle charger, it almost always takes 30+ minutes to top off.
On my other bikes, it's like ~5 minutes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the electrics on these bikes have a pretty heavy drain factor.
When I hook her up to the trickle charger, it almost always takes 30+ minutes to top off.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Markhp said:
Same here. My LT only took 5 minutes no matter how long it sat. My RT is about 30 minutes to top off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 08 with the original battery. I will replace it within the next two weeks. I just feel I am pushing my luck by not replacing the battery. I use a battery tender for part of the winter months when there is snow on the ground, but not all winter if I can ride.

Man, I feel like the cost of these batteries are unjust. BMW battery $179-$200. Why? I think the price of many BMW related products are extremely outrageous and really I can afford them. I just dislike price gouging. Odyssey $116-$160 a little better but for a two year warranty, that sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I love my RT, but the aftermarket costs for products related to maintenance is vicious.

I have question. who has info or success with a cheap battery?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
JCapo33 said:
I have question. who has info or success with a cheap battery?
Yo!

The batteries we're using around here are the cheap ones. The local motor bureaus buy in bulk and split the bill (each of our motors has 2 batteries, so it adds up). We're paying about $25 per, and I've seen this same battery online in the $40 range.

My POV 2007 RTP has the last batteries put into it before I bought it out at the end of the lease. Same for my POV 2004, which got its last battery in 2009.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Travman said:
I'm about 30 months on my OEM battery. The bikes sits for several days each week and always keep it on a trickle charger. So far it seems fine. Have investigated replacements and am considering the lithium Shorai battery.
I checked out the Shorai batteries here in South Africa for the RT - R:2450.00 / $:272.00 pretty damn expensive I think :(

·
Registered
456 Posts
I did a lot of research on batteries, and here are most of the maintenance free options. Feel free to double check my work. The Deka is an interesting option. They have a great reputation. I went with a Panasonic. Came with a 2-year free replacement for only about $85.

Westco 12V20P
CCA: 275
Ah: 20

Universal UB12220
CCA: 420
Ah: 22

Yuasa YTX20HL-BS or YTX20HL
CCA: 310
Ah: 18
Made in USA
(Must rotate battery cable ends to lay horrizontally on battery)

Panasonic LC-X1220P
CCA: 275
Ah: 20
(Available with nut/bolt connectors or threaded terminals, which is the LC-X1220AP)

Odyssey PC680
CCA: 220
Ah: 16
(Must rotate battery cable ends to lay horrizontally on battery or use their "L" connectors)

Deka ETX20L
CCA: 310
Ah: 17.5
Made in USA
(Must rotate battery cable ends to lay horrizontally on battery. Threaded terminals)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My 2007 R1200R had two instances of the OEM Exide batteries die without warning and instantly at around two years in service. Oddly both deaths occurred over lunch stops, whatever that means.

Odyssey PC680 went into the RT at the 24 month point (3 months ago now) .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I finally replaced the stock battery in my 2006 RT about 8 months ago.
This is after 110,000 miles, and only because I could feel that it was getting a little tired.
Upon starting, especially when it was cold outside, it just wasn't as strong as it had been.

Maybe this is not the normal life of a stock battery, but this was my experience.

·
Registered
156 Posts
onmyrt said:
I finally replaced the stock battery in my 2006 RT about 8 months ago.
This is after 110,000 miles, and only because I could feel that it was getting a little tired.
Upon starting, especially when it was cold outside, it just wasn't as strong as it had been.

Maybe this is not the normal life of a stock battery, but this was my experience.
Not normal I would say but certainly can happen, way back around 1985 the Willard in my wife's 72 VW Beetle gave up after 13 years - something of a recoed I would guess :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Three years for me, only because I left the after market radio on when I cam home from work, -5c over a week end. Forgot to plug in Battery tender. So may be it would have lasted way longer, you just never know.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well I thought I had more time but while at the STC last weekend, the RT barely turned over in the morning cold and luckily fired up quickly because the battery did not feel like it was going to give any more. After that it seemed to start fine throughout the day. So I'm going to change it out just in case.

Leading contenders:
Odyssey PC680 - $112

Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 - $179

Decisions, Decisions!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2012 RT is still fine as it is new. 4400 miles.

But I bought a Shorai 21 AH (equivalent) for my big ole fat 2008 C90T Suk cruiser. Kind of as an expensive experiment & being a bit sceptical that it would do the job, Was I surprised.

It sat in my unheated garage most of this winter, no charging and it turns over that big slug 1500cc V-Twin like nothing and it is10 lbs lighter to boot. (only 8.5:1 compression tho)

So when the day comes that the RT needs a battery, it will be getting the Shorai Lithium battery.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
My 2007 RT still has original battery. Seems to be working o.k. I attach it to the Battery Tender gel charger frequently.

Bought an official BMW charger years ago. It did not last long. Battery Tender has been solid.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Vffr1 said:
I'm still on the original RT battery from 2006, guess I should get a new one soon. The Oddesy is looking pretty attractive.

Triple
I had a couple of hundred bucks to spare and thought that 8 years on the stock battery was pushing it. I've added a few extra lights as well so it was time to spring for a Shorai. Bike feels like it runs better, lights seem a bit brighter.

So far, so good,

Triple

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
live in southwest
I keep in on the BMW trickle charger
5 years - I replaced it out of an abundance of caution in prep for our Alaska Ride this summer

21 - 40 of 68 Posts