BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years into a stock RT battery, no problems, have it on a trickle charger as per recommendations by guys at the shop most of the time.

Just wanted to know how many months your RT battery lasted before it failed or started to give you problems and you purchased a new one.

I'm taking a ride out from San Diego to Colorado and a ride from San Diego to Sturgis this year and if they start failing around 30 months I'd just go ahead and pick one up now, rather than be waiting for the UPS guy to show up when I'm in some podunk place in the middle of nowhere.

Also, what's the most popular replacement.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Two dealer warranty replacements , still cranked slow when sub freezing . I gave up an replaced with an Oddesy . I tryed a test push start a big no go , would not turn over just skid . So if she flatlines out on the road jumper cables are the only chance .

Bob G
2011RT

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They don't go from "Good" to "Good Grief!" overnight. You will notice hard starting long before the battery goes completely dead, especially if you use a battery conditioner every so often.

The AGM battery is a standard size, and you can get a replacement at Batteries Plus, or shipped overnight from a dozen different vendors on the net, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you take standard tools when you travel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bought 2009 RT June 2009.
Replace it last month per buyers request. He payed for it.
On a battery tender over the winter
Cranked a little slower then when it was new.

·
Registered
419 Posts
gphusky1 said:
Two years into a stock RT battery, no problems, have it on a trickle charger as per recommendations by guys at the shop most of the time.

Just wanted to know how many months your RT battery lasted before it failed or started to give you problems and you purchased a new one.

I'm taking a ride out from San Diego to Colorado and a ride from San Diego to Sturgis this year and if they start failing around 30 months I'd just go ahead and pick one up now, rather than be waiting for the UPS guy to show up when I'm in some podunk place in the middle of nowhere.

Also, what's the most popular replacement.
I'm about 30 months on my OEM battery. The bikes sits for several days each week and always keep it on a trickle charger. So far it seems fine. Have investigated replacements and am considering the lithium Shorai battery.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Living in temp range of 50 to 100 F.
Mine lasted in excess of 4 years. Actually I changed before any issues at 4.5 years.
regards
paul

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I suggest not leaving your tender connected for long periods of time. One day every week or two is plenty. Also push starting will work as long as there's enough current left to charge the fuel rail and you use third gear (not first) to do your push start.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just changed mine, just over 3 years after purchasing from new.

I ride virtually the whole year round, only stopping when there is ice / snow on the road. I think that this year with the winter that would not quit, caused the battery to fail. As I ride regularly, and she is outside all the time - I rarely use the trickle charger. SO I am not too displeased by how long it lasted. The garage believes that between 2-3 years is normal, depending on usage & conditions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Solo6 said:
They don't go from "Good" to "Good Grief!" overnight. You will notice hard starting long before the battery goes completely dead, especially if you use a battery conditioner every so often.

Hi Solo have to agree to disagree with you there - was out on my 2009 GS no sign of hard starting did about 200 k and stopped at a service station ATM to draw some money - when I came out stone dead no start - got the service station to hook up booster battery to start and then rode home - also had this happen to me with my Ford V6. :)

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I suggest not leaving your tender connected for long periods of time. .............
Why not?

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
156 Posts
Travman said:
I'm about 30 months on my OEM battery. The bikes sits for several days each week and always keep it on a trickle charger. So far it seems fine. Have investigated replacements and am considering the lithium Shorai battery.
I am also two years into a stock battery on my 2011 RT - the Shorai lithium sounds good but I have no idea what the cost is. You cannot lose anyway if you believe their ad I quote " LFX Lithium-Iron batteries are 70% to 80% lighter than lead acid batteries improving handling while reducing fuel consumption" if anyone believes that they still believe in the tooth fairy :rotf:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bought Bike May of 2009 about 10K miles, Original battery 4 years going strong!And I have a ton of accessories, but through a Centech AP-2.

BMW non-Canbus charger always used through rewired front socket. Bike always store in garage.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Phillo said:
Solo6 said:

Hi Solo have to agree to disagree with you there - was out on my 2009 GS no sign of hard starting did about 200 k and stopped at a service station ATM to draw some money - when I came out stone dead no start - got the service station to hook up booster battery to start and then rode home - also had this happen to me with my Ford V6. :)
I've never had this happen, and you've had it happen twice. Maybe batteries are allergic to you . . ? :D

Seriously, your experience is a statistical blip, so we can say that GENERALLY this doesn't happen.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I am two and a half years into mine and since it was a leftover, I have no idea how old it really is. The bike was built in January of 2009 and I bought it November 2010. Anyway, this past winter it was a bit slow on days where the temps were in the low 30's. It's still doesn't crank fast like the Jap bikes I owned. It never did. I imagine I will get a surprise at some point where it will go click...I'll probably buy an Odessey if I am proactive.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Phillo said:
I am also two years into a stock battery on my 2011 RT - the Shorai lithium sounds good but I have no idea what the cost is. You cannot lose anyway if you believe their ad I quote " LFX Lithium-Iron batteries are 70% to 80% lighter than lead acid batteries improving handling while reducing fuel consumption" if anyone believes that they still believe in the tooth fairy :rotf:
If I want to lose that kind of weight I can take some magnesium citrate.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
PadG said:
Because chargers are not perfect and things like corrosion on the connections can interfere with proper charging of the battery. Besides, if one day every two weeks is sufficient, the other 13 days you are just wasting electricity. Overcharging can ruin a battery just like complete discharge. Granted, a fully automatic charger can theoretically be left connected indefinitely, but I'm not willing to trust my hundred dollar battery to a float charger without checking it regularly. I'm much more comfortable letting it partially discharge and then checking it after a few hours to see that it has recharged properly. This will also give you early warning when it starts to go bad. When they get weak, they charge up too quickly or not at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been considering the same thing as I am getting ready for a 4 day trip up to the Pacific Northwest. I have had the original battery for 5 years/30,000 miles. I ride about 8 months out of the year, rest of the time stored in my garage and on a charger every two weeks or so. I have not noticed any issues with the battery but like you don't want to take a chance for my trip, so looking to change it out. The Oddesy seems like a nice battery and cheaper but if my original has done this well, why go with a different make?

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Because chargers are not perfect and things like corrosion on the connections can interfere with proper charging of the battery. Besides, if one day every two weeks is sufficient, the other 13 days you are just wasting electricity. Overcharging can ruin a battery just like complete discharge. Granted, a fully automatic charger can theoretically be left connected indefinitely, but I'm not willing to trust my hundred dollar battery to a float charger without checking it regularly. I'm much more comfortable letting it partially discharge and then checking it after a few hours to see that it has recharged properly. This will also give you early warning when it starts to go bad. When they get weak, they charge up too quickly or not at all.
Thanks. I was curious about your reasoning. I agree with all of them, but I do have my charger connected all the time. It's not that I "trust" my charger, but I can see the status light of the charger every time that I step into my garage, and so I can tell if something is amiss.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts