BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how long the U joints are likely to last on the shaft. Has anyone had a problem with this?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I lost a seal around 32K. Haven't torn into it yet to see how the u-joint is.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
c00k1e said:
I am wondering how long the U joints are likely to last on the shaft. Has anyone had a problem with this?
The only drive shaft problems that I can remember over the years were a small number of them that had the vulcanized rubber sleeve between the two drive shaft tubes fail. I do not actually remember any universal joints failing. A few seals, but that is not a drive shaft problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ujoint replacement

I had to replace my drive shaft at 68,000 miles when I discovered a rough "U" joint that was caused by the needle bearing rubber "O" ring type of seal had broken and fell off of one of the joint's needle bearing. This then let the grease escape from the needle bearing and caused it to go dry and joint become very sticky / rough. I found a used drive shaft assembly on Ebay that only had 5,000 miles on it to replace mine it came from a 2005 that was triked.

There is supposed to be a company out there somewhere that will replace these BMW motorcycle staked in "U" joint's in the drive shaft but I have not had any luck in locating them yet.

·
Banned
588 Posts
No problems when I sold my 2000 K1200LT at 137,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
The repair source is in Canada. They do great work, but it is expensive. The real gain is that they install a lubrication zerk in the new one. If you really want the info I will go back in my files and find it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Just getting a bit paranoid I guess.
I don't want this new final drive to go because I havn't swopped out every possible defective part.

·
Registered
261 Posts
U-Joint Replacement

HP1BMW yes I would like to get the name & address of the company that replaces the u-joints. If the price is less than a good used drive shaft then I would have an extra drive shaft assy ready to install or to provide to someone else in need.

·
Registered
348 Posts
U-Joints

Like you, I was paranoid about the u-joint life. At 130k I bought a low-mileage driveshaft from Fred Rowland. After I swapped out the old one I realized I had wasted my money. The old one's U-joints looked like new, just the least bit of lube visible around the bearing seals. The splines looked absolutley like new.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
No problem with Red Rover's in 124K miles.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Vulcanized rubber began to fail on mine at 48k. Hard acceleration in first and second created a “slip” in revs vs speed.

Wasn’t clear if it was the clutch or shaft until it was taken apart.

Shaft rubber.

However, clutch was very near to end of life as well. So replaced shaft and clutch.

And for good measure, replaced all trans seals as well as engine main seal.

Just returned from a 9500 mile cross country excursion. Aside from a nail puncture on rear tire and oil consumption of about 1.4 quarts, the bike was flawless

1 - 14 of 14 Posts