BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not used the COMM system at all since I purchased my 2000 LT w/50K miles 6 months ago.

After performing a complete fluid change. (I changed every fluid I could find) and brake line replacement along with a few other items, it is time to move on to the COMM system.

I have searched and searched the threads and come up blank on what I have?

I do believe that it is not factory since my model appears to be a base model and in 2000 the base model did not have any of the "options".

If you can point me to the model of the COMM system I have and a manual I would be grateful.

Also what headset cords I need to get? I am not sure I would use it as a two up since my SO is afraid of the bike to the point she let me build a wall to partition off the motorcycle area from her Prius. (a bonus for me since I now have a complete work area all to myself :) )

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
well Paul, I'm afraid you have the very early version of the BMW Comm System. It is either a BC-1 or BC-2. There were a lot of problems with them, and there was only a certain type of headset that seemed to work with them. I forget what the differences between the two were, but the stark panel is the indicator it is one of them. I believe the adjustment pots were a little different between them.

They finally came out with one that they called the BC-3 Comm System, by J&M Corp. and it was a winner overall.

I am attaching a couple of pdf files that may, (or may not) help.

HTH,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently bought a 2000 LT with the BC1 COMM system. I believe you may have the BC2, as it is slightly different from mine. But just a warning, I purchased the J&M headsets (which cost me 350 big ones) and some lower cords to fit the 6 pin OEM outlets on the bike. After purchasing the headsets and a custom install in our helmets, I plugged them in to the bike only to find that the COMM system was wacked out. It did work, if you want to call it that. It would play on the left side for a while, then the right side for a while and the side it wasn't playing from would hiss, when talking everything hissed, they were too annoying to even use. After conversing with several members here and reading some archived threads, I found that the units are known to have issues and they can most likely not be repaired. The manufacturer went out of business after BMW quit using them in their bikes so no one will even work on them. I have found some newer BMW systems, the V.O.I.C.E. Comm system BMW went with on later models. I think I have seen them on line at Sierra BMW and if I recall correctly, they were asking about $900.00 dollars. I personally went with an Autocom system for about 250.00. It is an easy install and seems to do the job. I would recommend testing out your unit before you purchase your headsets. By the way, I do still have the J&M headsets and if you find you system operational, I would make you a good deal on them. Good luck with you Comm system!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I installed what seemed to be a very simple Autocom and am still very pleased with it's performance. If what you have doesn't work and you decide to replace it, there are several others that also seem to get high remarks. The after market com units are quite easy to install and have a lot of nice features. If I had to do it again, today, I'd go in the direction of Bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanDiver said:
I installed what seemed to be a very simple Autocom and am still very pleased with it's performance. If what you have doesn't work and you decide to replace it, there are several others that also seem to get high remarks. The after market com units are quite easy to install and have a lot of nice features. If I had to do it again, today, I'd go in the direction of Bluetooth.
Dan, can you explain what you mean by go Blue Tooth?

Most of what I have is blue tooth.

I have the G4 Scala rider already for myself.

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I think that there are Bluetooth communication systems available. My Autocom is attached to my helmet with a cable.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DanDiver said:
I think that there are Bluetooth communication systems available. My Autocom is attached to my helmet with a cable.
OK got ya.

since I have the Scala Rider already, I would like to have a bluetooth radio. The closest I have is that the Scala has bluetooth, the Garmin I ordered has blue tooth and MP3 player and will sync to my Scala rider,

I think I am set, except for the CB which i have not used yet.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I am hooked up same as Dan, I have just taken all my cb gear "off" after 8 years I have replaced more batterys in the cb than talked on it, I can hear the music fine straight out of the speakers, and now use a scala Q2 teamset with the missus, good thing is when she is on her own bike as you would know we can still talk to each other, If I want the cb I will put it in my pocket and use ext mike with speaker

·
Registered
607 Posts
Axle said:
I am hooked up same as Dan, I have just taken all my cb gear "off" after 8 years I have replaced more batterys in the cb than talked on it, I can hear the music fine straight out of the speakers, and now use a scala Q2 teamset with the missus, good thing is when she is on her own bike as you would know we can still talk to each other, If I want the cb I will put it in my pocket and use ext mike with speaker

Linton, what kind of CB do (did) you use?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I also 'inherited' a used bike with that communication system, and tried to figure it out, get tangled in the wires every time we got off the bike, etc. Our solution; Interphone wireless headsets, they have been the perfect answer to our conversations for the past three years. When solo, i keep it connected to the Zumo 550, and my Iphone, and this has been a simple and inexpensive fix. No wires, charges in a short time, we can hear each other just fine. I've never wanted music in my ears, so the mono doesn't bother me-I hear the new set is stereo however.

i put all my wires, and pins and headsets for sale and they went quickly.

dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts