BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to do this but here I go anyway. :deadhorse

My LT has 3k miles on it. I am currently using conventional motor oil (BMW 20W50). What is the opinion as to the number of miles one should wait, break in period, before switching to a full synthetic?
I use currently use Red Line brand full synthetic in my car and quad and wanted to change to a full synthetic for better wear protection.

Thanks
TOM G.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just my own personal experience here, but I ran my '05 up to about 20K before switching to Golden Spectro. Nothing much really to report over the last 10K miles except it is just a tad quieter, it uses no oil whatsoever, and it never 'puffs' even if I put in on the side stand BEFORE I turn it off.
Gas mileage has stayed the same, right around 50 (measured) on the highway, and the oil still appeared to be very clean at the last oil change.
All in all it may have been exactly the same on straight dino!
The Golden Spectro costs a little more, but I can stretch oil change intervals out......so again, everything may be a wash, but I am going to stick with the Spectro.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
+1 My local BMW dealer, Ride West in Seattle, also said wait for 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I waited till about 18,000 miles, but in my opinion could have been done earlier. On all my other engines I have only waited till oil consumption stopped (generally meaning rings have seated). We road this hard the first couple of thousand miles and have not seen any oil consumption in over 200,000 miles. Last year had 8,500 miles in 2 weeks through desert heat and mountain climbs with no change in oil level.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I hear he puts in on her gams.

But what I really want to know is who is Sweet Pea's daddy? :mad:

There's no ifs or maybes
I'll never has babies!
I'm Popeye The Sailor Man!

Yep folks, this thread is OFFICIALLY hijacked and I am damn proud of it. :D

·
Registered
726 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Olive Oil abuses Popeye.
WOW The dealer I got my R1200RT from switched mine at 6000 miles?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
My dealer said 18,000 on up to 24,000 before Synth. Both of those mileage marks have come and gone and the Castrol 20-50 works just fine.

Curtis I heard Olive Oil was having a thing with Pluto, do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another dead horse issue.

Over the past many many years, ever since Sync. Oil came big on the scene. Over many different Brands and types of bikes. I found one common issue repeat itself.

* I have engine seals leaking, varries seals at different points. Main seals engine to trans seals etc

Engine oil Full Sync.

* I have never had any seals leak ever.

Engine Oil DINO.

I once had a tech tell me that DINO was better at keeping seals solid and that using
DINO Oils in the engine with more frequent changes than SYNC was the way to go.
Use SYNC in the gear boxes use DINO in the Engine.

I know another dead horse.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Got 62K on the clock on my '03 LT, still using the real thing, Mileage has never deviated from 40-50 mpg (depends on where and how I am riding :D ). Somtimes wait 6000+ miles before services.

Bike does smoke when on the side stand, sometimes.

SPANK THE DOG!

·
Registered
719 Posts
tom39 said:
Sorry to do this but here I go anyway. :deadhorse

My LT has 3k miles on it. I am currently using conventional motor oil (BMW 20W50). What is the opinion as to the number of miles one should wait, break in period, before switching to a full synthetic?
I use currently use Red Line brand full synthetic in my car and quad and wanted to change to a full synthetic for better wear protection.

Thanks
TOM G.
45,000 still using castro 20-50 dino oil

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just to confirm....once you go synthetic in the LT crankcase, you can't go back to DINO....correct? :confused:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
BlauBeeMr said:
Just to confirm....once you go synthetic in the LT crankcase, you can't go back to DINO....correct? :confused:
This used to be true, but I don't think it is any longer. But if I was to switch back from synth to dino, I would use a semi-synth/dino blend (like Valvoline DuraBlend ) before switching totally back to pure dino.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts