BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 2011 GS bought in October of last year for 2011 R1200RT loaded up with all the goodies... My wife has her own bike but also enjoys riding with me and while we have been riding together without fail for 20 years , she could not get used to the rear "perch" on the GS. So I opted for an RT.
I rode my GS 45 miles to the dealer 3 weeks ago on a 45 degree day and rode the Rt home. The heated seat was nice but I had a pit in my stomach... the ergos were not suiting me , my arms were cramping at my wrists, and the windshield , or should I say the air management for someone my size (6'2) was horrid.
Soooo, Wunderlich and Cee Baileys to the rescue. A pair of Wunderlich air deflectors (the new design for the 10 and 11) went on first. I rode it and immediately found the air was off my shoulders. It previously has been hitting me square in the shoulders no matter what I did with the windshield. The air around my head was still very bad but I was heading the right direction.
I also installed a Wunderlich GPS bracket for my Garmin and mounted a ram ball on that mount also for my GoPro hero and whatever else needs to go up under the windshield on trips.
Next up was the Wunderlich bar risers. (The ones that allow you to back AND out. I set them back about 3/4" and out about an inch on each side. Heaven. My wrists are now not bearing any weight and my arms are spread perfectly for me. I've also ridden dirt bikes since I was 4 so the wider bars suit me better.
Finally today the Cee Baileys +2 windshield arrived. It was in the mid fifties all day so today was the day to test it. Took the afternoon off and away I went.
All I can say is someone at BMW needs to get on the ball with air management. The Cee Baileys windshield COMPLETELY eliminated the turbulent air I was getting directly in my forehead and roar in my ears. I havent ridden without quality ear plugs in 5 years and my first ride with the stock shield I thought I had forgot to put them in.
With the stock shield , There was NO position that worked. With the Cee Baileys I can go from some nice clean air in my face , to a perfect pocket. Dream land.
ok anyways , thats it for now , I just can't say enough about how well these changes work for me.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
533 Posts
Nice bike and I think you'll love it!

I recently put a +2 Cee Bailey on my 2010 RT. At first I didn't think that there was much difference but changed my mind after using it a bit. One thing I noticed was that I think the Cee Bailey is a little thinner than the stock screen. When installing the center retaining screw (under the covers) the screw bottomed out but left about a 1/16" gap between the washer and the windshield. I went to the local hardware and got a thicker nylon washer to replace the stock one to snug the screen down. Did you find the same problem?

It is starting to heat up here in So. Arizona. Coming home from work yesterday the temp sensor on the RT was showing 93 degrees! With the Cee Bailey all the way down I was getting almost no airflow and I am 6 ft tall. I was starting to overheat by the time I got home. I am considering going with one to their Rally Sport windshield for summer driving to get more air!

Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Where'd you get the Wunderlich deflectors? The site says they're not yet available, but taking pre-orders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In comparing the 2 I didn't notice that difference. I too was a tad disappointed at first, thinking they were similar. I started the ride with it fully up and once I lowered it 2 inches the difference was amazing. :) My screws snugged up fine and were not loose.


cessna said:
Nice bike and I think you'll love it!

I recently put a +2 Cee Bailey on my 2010 RT. At first I didn't think that there was much difference but changed my mind after using it a bit. One thing I noticed was that I think the Cee Bailey is a little thinner than the stock screen. When installing the center retaining screw (under the covers) the screw bottomed out but left about a 1/16" gap between the washer and the windshield. I went to the local hardware and got a thicker nylon washer to replace the stock one to snug the screen down. Did you find the same problem?

It is starting to heat up here in So. Arizona. Coming home from work yesterday the temp sensor on the RT was showing 93 degrees! With the Cee Bailey all the way down I was getting almost no airflow and I am 6 ft tall. I was starting to overheat by the time I got home. I am considering going with one to their Rally Sport windshield for summer driving to get more air!

Regards,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
Congratulations and welcome on board.

Nice start on the farkles.

My wife has been riding with me for 20+ years also and the thing we did that made a huge difference in our comfort factor was to have a custom seat builder re-foam and re-contour the seat, especially the passenger's. We are all-day riders now... no problem.

Get some Grip Puppies on those grips and the stand enlarger on the side stand foot and you will be even happier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
GRB60 said:
Where'd you get the Wunderlich deflectors? The site says they're not yet available, but taking pre-orders.
Greg,
I checked with Wunderlich today asking for clarification on the disparity between "taking pre-orders" in one section and "immediately available" in another.
I received a response from them indicating they have them in stock and immediately available. They also said they are revising their website to reflect this.

I am thinking that these deflectors might be a good idea. If you get them first let us know how well they work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may hold off until fall. I don't think I'd want them on in the warmer months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to call also to get clarification on availability of the deflectors. I had a chance to ride again today and prior to them the wind would hit me squarely in the hollows of my torso, putting strain on my upper torso. Now i have a slight amount of clean air moving around in that area. If you look at my pictures, you will see the deflectors slightly overlap the Cee Baileys windshield. I dont have a picture of them on with the stock shield, but there was a larger gap between them and the windshield. They became far more effective once the Cee Baileys went on. I personally dont think they block enough wind to make me take them off in warmer weather, tgere is still some air moving around but the way it is redirected is amazing. Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On closer inspection of my photos, I see that it isnt obvious they overlap, as the windshield is mid-way up in those shots. When down, they overlap..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
533 Posts
Midowmaker,

Do you need to drill holes in the fairing to mount the deflectors? It looks like they might be clamping on the edge of one of the fairing panels.

Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, no there is no drilling or modifications whatsoever. The mirror gets removed, the wunderlich bracket gets put in using existing bolts behind the mirror, mirror goes back on. I wouldnt put them on if it required drilling or holes :cool:

Regards,

Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
I never felt that the mirrors on my R1100RT, nor my K1200LT
provided adequate visibility to the rear and sides.
On both my K1200LT and my GS Adventure,
I'm using the Saeng Quick Scan mirrors.
Significantly increased my confidence
that I'm aware of what's happening behind and alongside me.

Shield-SS Quick-Scan wide-angle blind-spot mirrors mount to clear fairings and shields. Most units are attached high on the outboard corners to keep eye scan distance to a minimum.*
http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=253&category=61


http://lh6.ggpht.com/_wfnlfQzu0mM/TFRYpea0CuI/AAAAAAAAABY/uNPFLf_m3I0/s800/BMW R1200GS Adventure,Cockpit View, Closeup1.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Hello LT Pilot,

Do you have any idea where/how to mount those mirrors on the new RTs?
Do you know if I can find/see any photos to take a look at them?
Since the photos on the Saeng web are not very helpful.

I will apreciate any tips you can provide.


Thank you


LT_Pilot said:
I never felt that the mirrors on my R1100RT, nor my K1200LT
provided adequate visibility to the rear and sides.
On both my K1200LT and my GS Adventure,
I'm using the Saeng Quick Scan mirrors.
Significantly increased my confidence
that I'm aware of what's happening behind and alongside me.

Shield-SS Quick-Scan wide-angle blind-spot mirrors mount to clear fairings and shields. Most units are attached high on the outboard corners to keep eye scan distance to a minimum.*
http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=253&category=61


http://lh6.ggpht.com/_wfnlfQzu0mM/TFRYpea0CuI/AAAAAAAAABY/uNPFLf_m3I0/s800/BMW R1200GS Adventure,Cockpit View, Closeup1.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
7seas10 said:
Hello LT Pilot,

Do you have any idea where/how to mount those mirrors on the new RTs?
Do you know if I can find/see any photos to take a look at them?
Since the photos on the Saeng web are not very helpful.

I will apreciate any tips you can provide.


Thank you
On my LT, they're mounted on the fixed winglets at the base of the windshield.
If I'd mounted them on the windshield,
I'd have to adjust them every time I raised or lowered the windshield.
On my GSA, they're mounted on the stems of the mirrors, inboard of the mirror face.
If I had the Wunderlich winglets like Brad, I'd mount them there.
If not, I'd consider the horizontal surface just above and inboard of the mirrors.
The Quick-Scans come in various configurations.
The windshield mounts can come with single or double adhesive attachment points, depending on which one you order.
The single adhesive mounts just need a horizontal or vertical surface to mount.
The double wraps around the surface, like the winglet or windshield.

If you have questions or concerns, e-mail them; they're very responsive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Here are a couple of links to photos of a K1200RS and a 94 LT with Saeng mirrors.
Hope they work.

http://www.k12rs.com/aftermarket/safety.html

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34558

On the second like, they also show K1200S mirrors
mounted on an RT in the vacant mirror holes.
If I did that, I'd still mount the Saengs,
but with the stem mounts like on my GSA.

I can clearly see and identify what is approaching
and can see them even when they're alongside me.

On other posts, some have challenged the cost of the mirrors.
From where I see it, it's cheaper than repairing a wrecked motorcycle
and cheaper than a hospital stay and rehab.
That's what I'm trying to prevent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Thank you for your response

I will contact them.

Best

7seas
LT_Pilot said:
On my LT, they're mounted on the fixed winglets at the base of the windshield.
If I'd mounted them on the windshield,
I'd have to adjust them every time I raised or lowered the windshield.
On my GSA, they're mounted on the stems of the mirrors, inboard of the mirror face.
If I had the Wunderlich winglets like Brad, I'd mount them there.
If not, I'd consider the horizontal surface just above and inboard of the mirrors.
The Quick-Scans come in various configurations.
The windshield mounts can come with single or double adhesive attachment points, depending on which one you order.
The single adhesive mounts just need a horizontal or vertical surface to mount.
The double wraps around the surface, like the winglet or windshield.

If you have questions or concerns, e-mail them; they're very responsive.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top