BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,
I just completed a 22 hour, all weekend long safety course given by the State of Il through the University of Northern Illinois (NIU). My almost perfect score automatically grants me a M class license. My problem is that I have to go to the D.M.V. and get my present D class license updated and the D.M.V. is closed until tomorrow. I have all my insurance current, but do not know if I can legally ride. Should I just go for it since I am off work today and it will be a sunny 72*. I plan on going for a quiet cruise out in the country. Please vote yes as the itch is causing immense pain.
Ready to roll,
Steve

P,S, I have been riding dirt bikes for 3 years with my boys and I have at least 20 hours on this bike already. I also have the M class riding permit, as I took the test last fall so I could ride with friends.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Must be a drag to ride only on flatland, go to the rockies and enjoy some fun riding with graded roads :)

BTW I was at the aiport in Northern Illiniois Uni. back in 1988, flew in at winter with a blown heating apperatus and was freezing my a** of!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
If you ride to the Texas DMV on your MC without an endorsement, you will be "ticketed" by the clerk...er, officer.

If you can't get someone to ride it over to the DMV for you, just take the car.... (might be a good example to your kiddo's)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Probably can't ride legally- but that doesn't stop scores of riders. Decision is yours, of course, but I would say that you would not be riding legally if stopped by law enforcement. Go ride the dirt bikes instead? And wait til the DMV opens.

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
VTO said:
Dear friends,
I just completed a 22 hour, all weekend long safety course given by the State of Il through the University of Northern Illinois (NIU). My almost perfect score automatically grants me a M class license. My problem is that I have to go to the D.M.V. and get my present D class license updated and the D.M.V. is closed until tomorrow. I have all my insurance current, but do not know if I can legally ride. Should I just go for it since I am off work today and it will be a sunny 72*. I plan on going for a quiet cruise out in the country. Please vote yes as the itch is causing immense pain.
Ready to roll,
Steve

P,S, I have been riding dirt bikes for 3 years with my boys and I have at least 20 hours on this bike already. I also have the M class riding permit, as I took the test last fall so I could ride with friends.
I can't say I know what "automatically grants me a M class license" actually implies, but I also see that you know you have to go to the DMV. I would think that the LEO's wouldn't know of an update if they had to search your license data.
Totally your call, for sure. Just between you and me, it's gonna be an awesome day today for a ride.....

Jer

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
It is up to you but the weather today makes the decision so much harder!

FWIW a friend of mine who rides and is a leo does not have an M class license despite my harping on him. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I got my cycle endorsement in Michigan in 1986 I had to bring my own bike to the Secretary of State (they handle the DMV stuff here) for the skills test. I asked how I was supposed to get it there if I wasn't legal yet & was told "We don't ask how it gets here, you'll be legal when you leave though".

·
Registered
439 Posts
VTO said:
" I also have the M class riding permit, as I took the test last fall so I could ride with friends".
If the permit is still valid what is the problem ?
Did I miss something I offten do :)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
VTO said:
Dear friends,
Ready to roll,
Steve

FYI
The NIU/MSF completion certificate does NOT allow you to ride legally on the streets. As you stated it does eliminate the need to take the written or riding exam at the DMV.

I am not sure about the class "M" permit but suspect if it is still valid you can ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts