BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (to me) 05 has a slight bend in the front rim... bought a clean one from Ebay, 97-04, yup, u guessed it... doesn't fit properly... arghhhhhhhh..
05-10 is what I needed...
Lesson learned.....

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
My new (to me) 05 has a slight bend in the front rim... bought a clean one from Ebay, 97-04, yup, u guessed it... doesn't fit properly... arghhhhhhhh..
05-10 is what I needed...
Lesson learned.....
Ouch. Not a bad idea to post things you are considering here as there are lots of folks who will catch things like that before you commit to the purchase.

Reactions: feelergaugephil

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
It would more likely you got a 97 - 01 in the US market with Bermbo calipers. The BMW calipers on 02 up used a different sensor ring and wheel. Look for one with the stamped steel sensor ring attached and NOT the cast iron ring. Don't have a picture of an 02 UP wheel, only the stamped sensor ring. Without the sensor ring still attached, I am not sure how you tell if those that have an inaccurate description covering 99 - 09 or 99 - 03 are actually off an 02 or up. Please someone tell me if there was another change to the front wheel after the whizzy BMW caliper brakes in 02 US.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
. Please someone tell me if there was another change to the front wheel after the whizzy BMW caliper brakes in 02 US.
Nope they are all the same if the caliper is BMW.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Nope they are all the same if the caliper is BMW.
That was my understanding but then again, I don't know everything. :wink:

Best to ask and get a definitive response.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
1999 to 2001 USA LT's front rim brake rotor bosses are machined in farther toward the center.
Probably difficult to see visually in a Ebay photo whether the rim is newer model or older based on the depth of the bosses machining. Unfortunately, all the rims currently on Ebay have been stripped of the rotors and sensor ring as the visual queue to the year fitment. You may have to contact the seller and get confirmation on what year it came from when they list a range of 99 - 09.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Putting the wheels side by side, the look identical, when looking closer, the older wheel has a slightly smaller hub area, I put my rotors on it, bolted straight up, right caliper bolted up, left caliper, no chance of fitting, will not slide in to bolt up.
So, I guess I'll sell that wheel, its damn perfect..
I took the wheel to local automotive shop who straightens motorcycle rims, he advised wheel will be 100% true when finished.
Next time, I'll ask you guys before I buy when I'm in doubt.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would more likely you got a 97 - 01 in the US market with Bermbo calipers. The BMW calipers on 02 up used a different sensor ring and wheel. Look for one with the stamped steel sensor ring attached and NOT the cast iron ring. Don't have a picture of an 02 UP wheel, only the stamped sensor ring. Without the sensor ring still attached, I am not sure how you tell if those that have an inaccurate description covering 99 - 09 or 99 - 03 are actually off an 02 or up. Please someone tell me if there was another change to the front wheel after the whizzy BMW caliper brakes in 02 US.
You are correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts