BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has an option of buying a K1200LTC that was returned to BMW under the lemon law. Unfortunately, the cause of the return is not public information. However, the bike has been titled to BMW of America for 3 months, this explained to rework the bike from the ground up and eliminate any problems with it. So, he would be getting a factory fresh, just rebuilt and tuned bike with full warranty. And it's going for under $17 grand.
He's worried that the bike was problematic and that he might get stuck with it. My theory, is they're not gonna wax it and put it back up for sale without fixing it, I'm sure there's laws against that. The warranty would cover any problems he might have down the road as he would with any new motorcycle. And if the problem resurfaces, he still has the option of using the lemon law to recoup his money as they are stating the bike is fit for sale.
I'd jump on it but just blew my load on my bike.
Would you purchase this bike knowing these facts?
Ed
P.S. There is 2600 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
There have been several '05's listed in our classifieds for under 17k lately, without the lemon label.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hoog62 said:
There have been several '05's listed in our classifieds for under 17k lately, without the lemon label.
But that is my point. Buying from there is buying from a private reseller. Buying this bike is buying from BMW of America, eliminating the "Caveat Emptor" factor.

·
Registered
284 Posts
lemon law

not I

why risk getting someone elses problems

ESPECIALLY if they wont disclose the nature of the problem

plenty of fine K1200LTs to be had for 17 grand without the risk

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
Couldn't one run the VIN and see the past repair attempts history? And I don't understand Lemon Law activity not being public information, nor the seller's unwillingness to be above board about the situation. I'd think about getting the seller to include an extended warranty policy - assuming the carrier would accept coverage on a Lemon Law re-sale.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
He will be buying a used bike, even though it is being sold by the dealer. It will no longer be covered under the lemon law. The warrantee does transfer.... even for private party sales, but it has been titled and therefor is a used bike.

There is no provision for making the defect that caused the bike to be covered under the lemon law, in the law. The dealer must give written documentation that the bike was a lemon, and the next buyer must sign it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, but for dimes on the dollar.

I would knock off at -least- $5,000 from the cost of the bike. I would also get it in writing what the cause (lemon) was. If they aren't willing to do this then I wouldn't buy it. Like was said above, this is a -used- bike with known problems (even if they are supposedly fixed.) This is not a new bike. So keep that in mind when thinking about buying it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I wouldn't buy a rattlesnake. I depend on my machine to get me there and back. The last thing I would want is to be crossing the Mojave in June and find out it was returned for an ittermittent overheating issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The few lemon law cases that I've seen have been for units (motorcycles, cars, RV's) that have had several, persistent problems that could not be resolved. If BMW couldn't resolve the problems for the original owner, what would make you think they'd be more successful when the bike is their's again, and destined for an unsuspecting buyer.

I'd rather take my chances with a used one that has a better track record.

In short... I wouldn't do it.

Bill B.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Most states brand the title of a buy back. As a rule of thumb, branded title vehicles are worth about half of retail, now and in the future should you decide to sell it. I wouldn't buy it unless got a much better price and disclosure as to what the original problem was.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
eliminating the "Caveat Emptor" factor.

Ed sed: "....Buying this bike is buying from BMW of America, eliminating the "Caveat Emptor" factor."

LOL, sorry Ed, not meaning to poke fun but.....
oh, never mind.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CharlieVT said:
Ed sed: "....Buying this bike is buying from BMW of America, eliminating the "Caveat Emptor" factor."

LOL, sorry Ed, not meaning to poke fun but.....
oh, never mind.
I understand what your saying, and there have been a few issues on these models. But hasn't BMW always taken care of them? Is there something on these bikes that blows up and BMW says, "oh well." I think they go out of their way more often then any other manufacturer.
Any man made product is bound to have flaws, it a fact. At the very least they take responsibility, unlike unnamed others that sell junk and expect the aftermarket companies to fix their engineering fuxups.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A year and a half ago I bought one of these "reworked" buy-backs from a local BMW dealer who, after several tries to fix continuing problems, agreed to refund my purchase price. I don't think that bikes like this are good deals. They are lemons and won't ever change into something more delicious!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
paulcbrowne said:
A year and a half ago I bought one of these "reworked" buy-backs from a local BMW dealer who, after several tries to fix continuing problems, agreed to refund my purchase price. I don't think that bikes like this are good deals. They are lemons and won't ever change into something more delicious!
Well, this is the million dollar answer! I guess in my haste to get my bud on a bike I wasn't looking at the big picture. But here is someone who has tried it 1st hand.
Well, I'm sorry it didn't work out. Luckily you were able to amend it without getting stuck.
Ed

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
"But hasn't BMW always taken care of them?"

edonthenet said:
I understand what your saying, and there have been a few issues on these models. But hasn't BMW always taken care of them? Is there something on these bikes that blows up and BMW says, "oh well." I think they go out of their way more often then any other manufacturer.
Any man made product is bound to have flaws, it a fact. At the very least they take responsibility, unlike unnamed others that sell junk and expect the aftermarket companies to fix their engineering fuxups.
Maybe BMWNA does go out of their way more than anyother manufacturer, I wouldn't venture a comment on that, but there are plenty of issues where bmw fixes only the squeeky wheel, lots of folks have been left to fend for themselves regarding hot weather hesitation, final drive failure to mention a couple. If you have been reading this board long enough there are plenty of examples of where bmw did not "step up to the plate". No worse than any other company? Perhaps not. But none-the-less a shortcoming in my eyes, and why I couldn't pass by the comment that caveat emptor need not apply where bmwna is involved. It most certainly does apply.
Hey, anything can be fixed and fixed right; we are talking about a machine afterall. However, I agree with those who counsel to stay away from this "lemon". I agree with the comment that if they couldn't fix it for the original owner, what makes you think they have it fixed now? I'd shop around for another bike. On the other hand, if you really like this dealership, and you spend lots of $ in their service department, and it is a good service department, and they really like you, and you bring donuts, maybe they will successfully solve any problem you might have with this bike.
I am of the opinion that at least half of BMW mechanics are below average, and are not all that good at diagnosing and fixing problems. I'd rather have a bike with no history of problems than one that had been "fixed".
I had a friend in my Naval career who was a helocopter pilot in a "ferry squadron". His job: to fly broken helicopters to the repair facility and bring back the fixed ones. Guess which ones he considered most dangerous to fly? Ans: the ones that were just fixed, at least he knew what was wrong with the broken ones.
Fly safe.
Charlie

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never in a million years. Just imagine all the headaches if it wasn't fixed correctly by the dealer. Would you really want to take it back to the dealer over and over again all to "maybe" save a few bucks?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I don't think anyone has addressed the other side of the buyer's options...buying a used bike. Most LT's I've seen for sale or sold used are pristine and covered with farkles. Most LT owners take the same care of their LT as they would with a fine automobile, and with the resale prices being soft, there is no doubt where I'd put my money.

Its not like he's out buying a used Monster 900, or a GSXR 600!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Great deal - for $7,000

oops my bad :eek: I just re-read your post "$17,000" not $7,000.

Like the song says:
run run run run run away

I had a friend turn a car back. Just for fun he tracked down the new owner (he had connections) - new owner got a great deal but had the same problems after about 3 months. 2nd owner ended selling it at auction.

Dave

1 - 20 of 46 Posts