BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this forum to get information on the RT1200R as I am looking at buying a touring bike. I currently own a 2009 Nomad 1700 and just love it for the ride, handling and power. However, and here it is, I want to do some cross country riding and think I may be better off with a touring motorcycle. I checked one out at the international bike show and plan to rent one this winter when down south.
I am 60 and like having the the ability to move my legs into different positions. Other riders my age I know have moved from this standard ride sighting the need to stretch. So if there are any owners of the RT around my age, can you tell me if the one position leg room is okay for a long ride over several weeks. My friends push the GW but it doesn't appeal to me other than the leg room.
Thank you for taking the time to help out a potential BMW owner.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi CDNEH, if I understand what you're getting at, the leg position can be varied with a few different types of modifications -

Here's one on my bike - here it is closed -

and here it is open.

It's expressly made for a footrest, is plenty strong, and permits me to stretch out if I wish. There are other devices of this nature - I imagine some of the other usual suspects will also chime in with some helpful thoughts.

Best, John

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
cdneh said:
I have been reading this forum to get information on the RT1200R as I am looking at buying a touring bike. I currently own a 2009 Nomad 1700 and just love it for the ride, handling and power. However, and here it is, I want to do some cross country riding and think I may be better off with a touring motorcycle. I checked one out at the international bike show and plan to rent one this winter when down south.
I am 60 and like having the the ability to move my legs into different positions. Other riders my age I know have moved from this standard ride sighting the need to stretch. So if there are any owners of the RT around my age, can you tell me if the one position leg room is okay for a long ride over several weeks. My friends push the GW but it doesn't appeal to me other than the leg room.
Thank you for taking the time to help out a potential BMW owner.
As someone that came from a Nomad 1600 and I have ridden the Voyager, I can say if you ride a R1200R or RT, it'll blow away what you are used to. The Voyager is a craftsman lawn mower compared tot he RT. Try it and you'll be thinking to yourself, why didn't I do this sooner? The RT does everything well. It's competent. It stops very well, goes very well, has a greater load capacity than almost all other touring bikes (520lbs), and is still light enough that you still feel like you are riding a bike. It'll do circles around the Nomad and it'll get better gas mileage to boot. If you get a 2009 or older RT, you are talking about a 300 mile range on a tank.

You didn't say how tall you are and how long your legs are. For a bike that has a standard seating arrangement, it's about as good as you can get outside of a R1200GSA. You can get peg lowering kits if you need a little more room. I am 6'5 with a 34" inseam and it's doable for now. I probably will get the peg lowering kit and the handlebar risers before I tour on it, but that should do it as far as position.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have owned all kinds of cruisers over the yrs, I'm hanging onto 60 for 3 more weeks :( I am built like a football lineman, 6' tall 30" inch inseem with thick muscular calves which can get more cramped than someone thin and 34" inseem. As stated there are several options for hywy pegs, I always seem to buy some kind of hywy peg for what ever bike I may have but what works best for me on long rides is simply stretching one leg at a time while in a safe environment for only about 5 seconds or so at a time, and I have some spinal and joint problems. Once you get your body used to the sport touring riding position you will get more comphy and realize you are supporting your body more efficiently than the cruiser position.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I'm 66YOA, 6'4" tall, have a 34-inch inseam and own a 2008 R1200RT. On October 2 I took off for a 6000-mile trip from Boston to the Texas Panhandle and back. During the 11 months I owned the RT prior to the trip I added the Suburban Machinery Peg-Lowering kit, and put the Wunderlich Vario bar risers on the bike. The Wunderlich pieces brought the handlebar position back about 1.5 inches and outward about one inch (check the Wunderlich website for the exact dimensions.

The bike had the normal seat (not the low version) set in the high position. On top of that I added a "Beadrider" which probably raised me up another 3/4-inch.

I had a bursitis condition in my right hip which made getting on and off the bike a bit painful. I had a large BMW waterproof bag on the back of the pillion seat and the rack, thus, I had to thread my right left across the seat.

I found that I wanted to get off and walk around about every 90 minutes. I could delay this a bit by standing on the pegs when riding anywhere where traffic was light and speeds were under about 35-mph. This helped some. I think this was due to the bursitis condition, my unaffected left leg was just fine for more than 90 minutes.

I did learn that the OEM seat was just not right for me, so ordered and have received a Russell Day-Long seat built to my specs. Russell was very helpful in building the seat's pocket (where I sit) further back and higher, thus I think I've gained even more leg-room. That said, I have not ridden the bike yet due to bad road conditions in the Boston area. I may get out today. I have tried sitting on the bike with the new RDL seat, and I can still flat-foot the bike, but the position of my feet on the ground is now closer to the bike's centerline. Russell says that height will come down some as the saddle breaks in over 500-1000 miles.

I hope this is a little helpful.

John Gamel

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
nice videos, but I didn't see any highway pegs. I would like to see what you are using as I need something for my RT.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm 71 and do a fair amount of touring and did have problems with leg cramps on my 1100RT on long days keeping the legs in one position. I've put Ilium highway pegs on my new 1200RT, and they will make a huge difference on those rides. I don't know if I will keep my legs stretched out on the the pegs for long periods, but they will allow some relief when the legs start feeling crampy.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Trojan said:
It's expressly made for a footrest, is plenty strong, and permits me to stretch out if I wish.
I wouldn't have hurt my feelings if you had mentioned who made them and where to buy a set.

As far as leg position, I made a speed run 400 miles each way for a Patriot Guard mission, and had no issues with just the factory pegs. If the RT-P had floorboards and pedals like my KZP did, it would be the perfect motor, but as it is it's pretty close.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Solo6 said:
I wouldn't have hurt my feelings if you had mentioned who made them and where to buy a set.

As far as leg position, I made a speed run 400 miles each way for a Patriot Guard mission, and had no issues with just the factory pegs. If the RT-P had floorboards and pedals like my KZP did, it would be the perfect motor, but as it is it's pretty close.

Got 'em at Gina's BMW in Iowa City....

http://www.ginasbmwmotorcycles.com/

and as I understand it, they're machined by one of Gina's crackerjack mechanics, Jared, who with his father is in the business of machining these things, among other things. Others may make them as well. I'd encourage you to check with Gina's if you have an interest. They sure work great for me.

Best, John

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have the same set up as Trojan. Used them on 2 R1150R's, LT, 00'RT and my 08'. The best I have found but not cheap. I prefer used as you can get them for 2/3 the price. ;)
Here was what they look like "in action":

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Dieselweasel said:
I have owned all kinds of cruisers over the yrs, I'm hanging onto 60 for 3 more weeks :( I am built like a football lineman, 6' tall 30" inch inseem with thick muscular calves which can get more cramped than someone thin and 34" inseem. As stated there are several options for hywy pegs, I always seem to buy some kind of hywy peg for what ever bike I may have but what works best for me on long rides is simply stretching one leg at a time while in a safe environment for only about 5 seconds or so at a time, and I have some spinal and joint problems. Once you get your body used to the sport touring riding position you will get more comphy and realize you are supporting your body more efficiently than the cruiser position.
I am hardly thin at 300lbs... 54" chest, 44" waist.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My post was not aimed at you Ponch, I was generalizing. But I had a Kaw versys for a while, I installed risers and peg lowerers and found it caused me to sit in a way that curved my back the wrong way, it made my bad back even badder.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Dieselweasel said:
My post was not aimed at you Ponch, I was generalizing. But I had a Kaw versys for a while, I installed risers and peg lowerers and found it caused me to sit in a way that curved my back the wrong way, it made my bad back even badder.
Well, truth be told, my back started bothering me since I got the BMW. The problem with the Nomad was all my weight was on my ass and it would hurt after 30 minutes. The BMW cured that but I get lower back pain. I wonder if risers and peg lowering would help? It's not as problematic as the Nomad, but I haven't taken it on long trip yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GRB60 said:
Here's a link for the ilium works highway pegs for the camhead engine:

http://www.iliumworks.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=230661&InfoID=5919&ShowLarge=True

If anybody's got these I'd like to know what you think of them.
I installed some Iliums a few months ago. I haven't gone on really long rides yet with them. But they do allow a reasonably comfortable alternative leg position. They will be great on long straight runs, but I wouldn't use them on curvy roads. They are adjustable, easy to install, and very well made.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ponch said:
Well, truth be told, my back started bothering me since I got the BMW. The problem with the Nomad was all my weight was on my ass and it would hurt after 30 minutes. The BMW cured that but I get lower back pain. I wonder if risers and peg lowering would help? It's not as problematic as the Nomad, but I haven't taken it on long trip yet.
My V-Rod was the same. Butt was killing me after 200 miles. For the RT it has barbacks, Corbin and a backrest cured everything. Now I have a pain between my shoulders.....Have not figured this one out but I am thinking it is my helmet. Catching the wind and straining my neck. :confused:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts