BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

What tool best accesses the torx screw for removal/install of the left side lift handle? It's tight access and I don't have the greatest selection of tools, but will acquire what's needed. I want to remove the ABS for refurbishment and upgrade to Speigler ( on hand ) brake lines.
Jer

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Hi all,

What tool best accesses the torx screw for removal/install of the left side lift handle? It's tight access and I don't have the greatest selection of tools, but will acquire what's needed. I want to remove the ABS for refurbishment and upgrade to Speigler ( on hand ) brake lines.

Jer
Yeah, that fastener is a pita. I used an Allen (hex) wrench, 1/6 of a turn at a time. Once loosened, I was able to use a ball end Allen wrench. But even with the ball end wrench it was slow going.

I have a craftsman set that looks like these:
26 pc. Standard and Metric Key Set: Get the Grip You Need with Sears

I don't have anything like this, but I wonder if the hex bit in the little ratchet would be small enough to fit:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05045018?CS_010=05045018&item=05045018&CS_003=7867724&src=pla&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test

Using a bit ratchet like that in above link with a shortened hex bit would do the trick I suspect.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
I use a Allen ball driver. I have not seen one that was Torx. 5 mm IIRC

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow! Thanks Curtis & John. Ball end driver it is. Like I said, my tool selection isn't extensive, but building over the years. Looks tight for the hex bit in the little ratchet. Though, I really like the idea.
Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave, and thanks to you and Lee for giving me the 411 on brake lines.

Jer

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you can get the ABS unit out with only removing the lift handle, you are a better man than I. I had to tear down to practically nothing and remove the back up controller, and you'll need more than a ball end Allen Wrench (although a set of those will go a long way on this bike).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just for my own information, what is a lift handle? I have torn my bike apart replacing the clutch and I don't know what you consider a lift handle. The only handle I use is the one on the bags to pick it up when it takes a nap!

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for my own information, what is a lift handle? I have torn my bike apart replacing the clutch and I don't know what you consider a lift handle. The only handle I use is the one on the bags to pick it up when it takes a nap!
The handle under your left cheek. :)

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can get the ABS unit out with only removing the lift handle, you are a better man than I. I had to tear down to practically nothing and remove the back up controller, and you'll need more than a ball end Allen Wrench (although a set of those will go a long way on this bike).
Just getting started. I'm sure I'll run into more issues and need more tools. Good start, though.

Thanks,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I assume the lift handle isn't on the newer LTs with the hydraulic center stand... That one threw me too, until I saw that the guys talking about them had '04's and older bikes. :corn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts