BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this 2000 K1200 LT for about 7 years and I just noticed last night after an hour long ride, the floor of the left saddlebag gets pretty damn hot. I understand it is right above the muffler, but is that normal?

I had a soft cooler with ice in there (beer was gone :wink:). I checked the floor of the bag to see if the cooler leaked. It didn't, but that's when I noticed how hot the floor was.

Thanks.
Doug B.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
So I've had this 2000 K1200 LT for about 7 years and I just noticed last night after an hour long ride, the floor of the left saddlebag gets pretty damn hot. I understand it is right above the muffler, but is that normal?

I had a soft cooler with ice in there (beer was gone :wink:). I checked the floor of the bag to see if the cooler leaked. It didn't, but that's when I noticed how hot the floor was.

Thanks.
Doug B.
I’ve never noticed mine being unusually warm, but then I can’t say I’ve really checked it close after riding either. If I could ride, I’d go out and test it, but until I get this cast off I’m out of service.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,774 Posts
There is a heat reflector mounted under the case, I have seen them deteriorate and fall off before. Yours may be missing.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a heat reflector mounted under the case, I have seen them deteriorate and fall off before. Yours may be missing.

I assume it is part #7 in the MAX BMW fiche below.

It is on the bottom of my bag. It looks like an asbestos pad.
As far as I can tell, it is intact and not damaged.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
Is the heat shield on your exhaust pipe intact? Any signs of the bike running rich? Poor fuel mileage, etc.? Running raw fuel through the catcon can generate some pretty high temps.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,774 Posts
I never noticed mine getting hot but then the only thing that ever goes in that bag is the wife's travel purse and she never complained it was getting hot.:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've noticed the heat on mine. There's only so much that insulating pad can do & exhaust pipe is right below the bag. (Heat rises.) If you load heat sensitive stuff in left bag, I'd put additional insulation inside on bottom.
-Dean

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the heat shield on your exhaust pipe intact? Any signs of the bike running rich? Poor fuel mileage, etc.? Running raw fuel through the catcon can generate some pretty high temps.

The heat shield on the exhaust is good.
My MPG does suck though. Probably runs rich. I've been told exhaust smells like gas.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The heat shield on the exhaust is good.
My MPG does suck though. Probably runs rich. I've been told exhaust smells like gas.
If indeed the MPG has been getting worse, most probable would be the O2 sensor (Oxygen / lambda) is defective or not plugged properly.

The best method to evaluate if replacement is needed is to run a GS911 diagnostic in real-time (with graph) to see O2 sensor behavior. The GS911 would also give any fault codes if any - although sometimes the sensor has no fault codes, but real-time graph can still show response to be too slow.

Because the sensor is in fact made by BOSH, there are much lower cost replacement than buying at the dealer - the BMW dealers sells the same sensor in a BMW box for a lot more $$$.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If indeed the MPG has been getting worse, most probable would be the O2 sensor (Oxygen / lambda) is defective or not plugged properly.

The best method to evaluate if replacement is needed is to run a GS911 diagnostic in real-time (with graph) to see O2 sensor behavior. The GS911 would also give any fault codes if any - although sometimes the sensor has no fault codes, but real-time graph can still show response to be too slow.

Because the sensor is in fact made by BOSH, there are much lower cost replacement than buying at the dealer - the BMW dealers sells the same sensor in a BMW box for a lot more $$$.

I am on my third O2 sensor and second exhaust. Original exhaust had cracks (which I had welded,) and rattled when shaken. I assume something in the cat converter broke loose.

Bought a used exhaust off ebay and it seems better. No leaks I can find and it didn't rattle.

I do have a GS911. I haven't tried it again since I swapped out my MCU. Anecdotal, but that seems to have made an improvement.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
I am on my third O2 sensor and second exhaust. Original exhaust had cracks (which I had welded,) and rattled when shaken. I assume something in the cat converter broke loose.

Bought a used exhaust off ebay and it seems better. No leaks I can find and it didn't rattle.

I do have a GS911. I haven't tried it again since I swapped out my MCU. Anecdotal, but that seems to have made an improvement.
Well, running rich and hot will crack the catcon after a while and the pieces will rattle around inside. And the thermal range from really hot to cold will thermally fatigue the metal causing exhaust failure also.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Running lean is hot but running rich will foul the cat.
If there is raw fuel getting to the muffler, that is more than an oxygen sensor problem. Leaky injector. Very leaky.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
Running lean is hot but running rich will foul the cat.
If there is raw fuel getting to the muffler, that is more than an oxygen sensor problem. Leaky injector. Very leaky.
I was talking catcon, not engine. Running rich makes the catcon hot, particularly when raw fuel gets through as with misfires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts