BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, on the side of the road. Called a friend with a trailer to come pick me up. My 2005 LT1200 died going down the road like I turned the switch off. Sounds like the fuel pump runs. I turn the switch on and let everything start up it goes quiet I than turn the kill switch off and than on and hear the pump run for a short while. Ok you pros is it the fuel filter hosing? If filter hose leaks wouldn't the pump run all the time to maintain fuel pressure? Is there something else I should consider?
Thanks
randy

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Ignition sensor wiring. Side stand switch. Other folks who know something will help I'm sure. Fuel system continuity is of course to be considered.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Most often a sudden death is the hoses on the fuel pump. Those are now 15 years old and have been exposed to ethanol. I changed mine at 12 years and they still looked good BUT... Better safe than stranded.

No until the ECU senses the engine is running it does not command the pump to run, it just primes it for a second or two.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Most often a sudden death is the hoses on the fuel pump. Those are now 15 years old and have been exposed to ethanol. I changed mine at 12 years and they still looked good BUT... Better safe than stranded.

No until the ECU senses the engine is running it does not command the pump to run, it just primes it for a second or two.
My internal U-hose failed after 7 years. That is my suspicion. Remove gas cap and look inside and turn the key on. If you see gas swirling or a geyser, then your hose has failed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your right. I turned the switch on and I can see a geyser. Gas is spraying inside the tank. The question is can you take the pump element out the bottom of tank with out removing the tank? Is there room to do that? Has anyone tried that? I've got maybe 2 gals of gas in it. Thanks
randyg

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I think your right. I turned the switch on and I can see a geyser. Gas is spraying inside the tank. The question is can you take the pump element out the bottom of tank with out removing the tank? Is there room to do that? Has anyone tried that? I've got maybe 2 gals of gas in it. Thanks
randyg
Yes, I did it a few weeks ago. You have to remove the right side bumper frame and draining the tank is a pain so you will make a mess trying to catch what is left. Your best bet is to get a rubber strap wrench to get the pump nut loose and get the pump assembly out. You will have to twist it some to get the best position of the pump and filter to drop out the bottom.

If you have quick disconnects, you may be able to open the valve on the return line and use that hose to drain the remaining fuel to some container. Reusing that fuel may depend on a few things and is up to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch. This has a Hannigan Trike conversion and it has the running boards on it as well so that side would have to be removed. It also has the fuel line disconnects on it to. I'll try to suck most of the gas out of it before I start removing the the pump. Good project for this week. Again thanks a bunch.
randyg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Take your fuel cap off then turn key on. Put your ear close to tank and listen for agitation, cavitation. If you hear anything it's the fuel line that attaches to your fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
randgy,

That trick to remove the pump from the bottom while the tank is in place is also done on the side stand so there is very little fuel to spill as it is elevated. Really more of an emergency on the road procedure.

Since you have a trike, I think I would go ahead and remove the other side panel and just pull the tank. Not that much more work and you could change that air filter...and might as well do the fuel filter too.

Reactions: Patric
1 - 9 of 9 Posts