BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When on, I've noticed that my right hand grip is aways about twice the temperature of the left grip.

I don't think the left is broken, is there some sort of rheostat that controls the heat to either grip? If so is it adjustable?

Regards
jeremy

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

Not sure this helps, but, my 05 (US-05) model has "about" the same heat each hand.

As far as I know there is no regulation between grips.

Is the LH grip hot and the right scalding, or the right hot and the left cool.

Both my grips, above about 48 F with summer gloves are too hot to leave on all the time.

Sounds like a potential connection problem to me.

Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe

The right grip on the higher setting becomes too hot to leave on.
At the same time the left grip is warm (perhaps cooler than I would like but not over hot).

j

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Unlike the seats that have two elements, the grips only have one. There are two feed wires selected by the switch - one is straight wire the other is wire with some resistance. These feed wires are jointed at the end before they go to each grip so both grips always receive the same current. I would say that the right gets hotter because it is in a sleeve that rotates (throttle) as opposed to the left grip that may be more in contact (heat sink) with the handle bar steele.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Jerry.. welcome aboard... if you can find someone with a remote thermometer, I'd ask them to do a readout of both.

On my "05" I find the right a bit warmer as I tend to squeeze the grip tighter while maintaining throttle control. Yes, It gets "too hot"...so I have to click down to "one dot" on the switch. However, this being Texas, I don't have a huge need for it.. thank Goodness.

Now, during warranty, the right grip heater quit completely... the left temp did not change.

Following replacement, all is well in "Thor-ville" again.

So, if the grips do test "significantly different" in temp and the bike is under warranty, tell the dealer.. have it "documented"...

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I noticed a big difference between the right and left temps on my 99 LT, but not so much so on my 03 and then on my 05.
I did wonder if perhaps my left heating element was worn out or something as there was a big diff. I sold the bike before I investigated any further.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Jeremy,

I just had the identical problem with my 2003 LTE. Last week I changed out the left grip with one that I had bought off of ebay and the problem is cured. What a job, I might add. The connector is difficult to get at, and once you are there you may as well plan on replacing the connector. I destroyed mine trying to get the wires out. It is something you may want to do during a 12000 mile check. With the tank out of the way, the connector is no problem.

Remember to use a feeder wire as you pull the old wires from the handlebars, so that you can feed the new one back through.

The wires from the right and left grips meet in that connector( 2 black and 2 brown)

Hope that helps,

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts