BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of Radio questions here... sorry to add to it.

I have a 2003 K1200LT with CD changer. I only get sound out of the right channel (front and rear). I already tried adjusting the balance and fader.

Any EZ fixes or things to look for? Not looking to remove all the tupperware.

I seldom use the stereo, I have a bluetooth helmet and stream from my phone... but it would be nice once in a while.

I am pretty sure I know the answer.

Also...

Any harm in wiring both rear speakers to just the right channel? I know it will not be stereo, but 2 speakers while riding is better than 1 and that would be a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I lost one channel at a time, until all were dead.

I tried a third-party car stereo, but it was a miserable failure for a few reasons:
* not loud enough to hear on the hw
* too loud when I came to a stop around town (no automatic volume)
* difficult to impossible to work with riding gloves on, and can't tell what one is doing when pushing buttons under the radio access cover. Usually, while trying to turn it down at a stoplight, I'd bump the magic button to launch it into lala land.

And that's after spending much of a day tearing plastic off, squeezing the new radio in, and figuring out where to tap power, and re-assembling.

My dealer had a rebuilt unit, which would work with the standard thumb controls. Granted, no mp3 ability, and crazy expensive for a bla radio...but worth it. I paid a few extra dollars ($50?) to get the external input cable on it, so I could play my phone through it. I'm kinda happy, though the new cd player seems a bit more sensitive to less-than-perfect CDs than the old one...and the external audio cable turned out to be non-operative. :(

Wish I had a spare LT to use as a test rig ... I suspect I could rebuild the audio amps on the player or even tap the audio and feed it to an external power amp, but since all the controls are on the bike, not the player/radio box, it's kinda hard to see how you are doing on the repair.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I sympathize. As great as bluetooth technology is, I still like having sound coming out of my bike speakers. This is exacerbated by the fact that I only wear helmets about 20% of the time. Right now, 3 out of my 4 channels work fine, but I know it is inevitable that they all fail me. I plan on having the LT for maybe another 3 years before I replace her with something else (GTL?, FJR 1300?). Hopefully at least 2 channels will still be functional (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I received this information from a guy here in the states that repairs LT Radios. Contact info below

Chrischenusa

[email protected]
http://www.beckerautosound.com/bmw-and-bmw-k1200-lt

Christophe Chenard <[email protected]>

What I usually do is simple, the customer agree with the price for the repair with option or not plus shipping cost, therefore the radio is sent to me (radio only), I do the repair, and ship it back within 2 days.
I accept Paypal or check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I contacted Becker Auto Sound and all they do is repair the head units. I've decided to use a four channel line level reducer with an external amp and upgraded speakers. This way I can keep the level down on the internal amp so I don't blow out the channels while still having good sound/volume.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,917 Posts
You would have money better spend with Chris. He upgrades the output amp chips to twice what the stock radio had and can add BT to the radio. He has a very good rep with this community. This way you don't have to find room for an amp and the speakers can handle it. He has many happy customers. Just trying to save you some headaches. The previous post was misleading as it also listed the Becker link and Chris is NOT associated with them.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think Chris's contact info is what I was looking for. Too late though, I already bought what I need for the upgrade. I'm going to mount a 600W amp in the right case on top of the frame for the CD changer. My sidecar makes that case pretty much useless anyway since it barely opens.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Too late though, I already bought what I need for the upgrade. I'm going to mount a 600W amp in the right case on top of the frame for the CD changer.
Is that going to work? I would have thought that once you lose output from the internal amps, one would be out of luck. Curious.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Don't go with Becker... You'll get the same S#**y Amps that will fail also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had Chris fix my radio on my 05LT. Here is some of the information:

Radio repair

$195 + $20 for shipping to USA

$195 + $45 shipping to Canada or Europe

Options: (Only if the AUX-B plug on the bottom right of the radio is unused)

$35 Bluetooth device

$10 Cables (type Jack 3.5mm - 1/8-inch) for Cellphone, Mp3 player, or Ipod

If the AUX-B port is already used, the Bluetooth or Jack option is obsolete.

Also, because some customers are sometime confused, the jack cable is an input, not an output, this means that you can’t plug a headset and listen to music through it.

I went with the Bluetooth. The radio works great! If I had to do it again I think I would have done the 3.5 jack. Bluetooth output is not as strong as cd or fm but works okay.

Attachments

Reactions: Munmi

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also really fast turn around. He received my radio on a Saturday, fixed it and reshipped it the same day. I got it on Monday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts