BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would like to suggest you take a look here --> http://www.hyperlites.com/bmw.html

These Hyperlites really draw attention to the rear on braking with the times slower flash as you slow down and then the rapid flashing and finally full on as you stop. I have had them on a GL1800 and on the '99 and the 2007 LT.

There are several sizes and you can mount them where you want to with the good double sided tape they supply. Clean off the bike surface good with alcohol and dry that place before you mount them.

They easily wire into the necessary places behind the LT rear lamp housing and you just follow instructions. No worry about the Canbus wiring crap.

Just my thoughts. Cheaper than all LEDS, faster to install and they work.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
You can but you will need a load resistor or the turn signals will go really fast. But many here have used LED lights with no issues. Just stay away from the center bulb as it will trigger a fail light.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have information for mods of 3 different BMW flashers to slow them back down after installing LED lights, including the newer unit on my 2006 LT.

Correct replacements will actually end up being as bright as or brighter than the original bulbs.

Various people have commented that my LED turn brake and tail lights are very noticeable. I got the tall 1157 equivalent from Superbright LEDs. They fit everywhere on the LT just fine. I also replaced all the other bulbs with LEDs. The small LEDs on either side of the high beam are much brighter than the little bulbs that were there. If you need help on sizing up replacements, I'd be happy to help.

I added a jumper to the middle bulb to have the brake filament on it light up with the brakes too. This doesn't effect the tail light bulb notification, but on my 2006 LT it did get rid of the high frequency flickering of the LED brake bulbs. There must be something in the brake circuitry that pulses the brake light circuit. Not fast enough to make a bulb glow, but the LEDs will flicker.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tsteeper -
Do you remember the product code of the LEDs that you used? I see on the superbrightled site, a 1157 Canbus LED product code 1157-x26-CBT, as well as others

Thankx

·
Registered
60 Posts
2 - Rear Turn Signals Amber color

2 - Rear Brake Lamps Red color

2 - Front Turn Signals, same as above except Amber color

2 - LED Park lights (either side of the high beam lamp) Cool White color

4 - Mini Bayonet base LED (map light on the LT, trunk light, and the "ground lighting" under the crash bars. Cool White color

OR You can get 2 of these in for the ground lighting if you really want something bright (they don't quite fit in the trunk and map light positions though).

Tsteeper -
Do you remember the product code of the LEDs that you used? I see on the superbrightled site, a 1157 Canbus LED product code 1157-x26-CBT, as well as others

Thankx

·
Registered
371 Posts
How much brighter are these compared to the OEM bulbs. Any pics?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tsteeper
Thanks for the product data.
Last question - you mentioned a "mod" for the flasher that eliminates the issues with leds. Can you expand on what it is you did?

Again, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
All of the mods are on the LEd web site.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have put the information for the OEM flasher modification here in a nice handy PDF format.

Tsteeper
Thanks for the product data.
Last question - you mentioned a "mod" for the flasher that eliminates the issues with leds. Can you expand on what it is you did?

Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You wanted some pics/videos of the LED signals, here they are. Short little clips captured with my iPhone in MOV format.

To give a wee bit of comparison, I turned the park lights on. The centre light at the back is still a bulb so it won't trip the lamp fault indicator (I may soon change it out and put a load resistor on it to deal with that too). The park lights on the front are with the LEDs installed.

Rear Signals, Front Signals.

·
Registered
46 Posts

4 - Mini Bayonet base LED (map light on the LT, trunk light, and the "ground lighting" under the crash bars. Cool White color

OR You can get 2 of these in for the ground lighting if you really want something bright (they don't quite fit in the trunk and map light positions though).
Tsteeper,

I'm in the middle of my first KLT 12K maintenance. Bought this bike last Oct and put about 60 miles on it. It has 29K miles. New Bridgestone BT020's, FOBO TPMS(comes with metal stems), Spiegler brake line kit, brakes, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, engine oil/filter, trans fluid, FD fluid, LED dash lights, H7 HID upgrade, etc. Found that a previous owner had installed the metal fuel line quick disconnnects. For the turn signals, I was planning on going with the rapid flash approach of installing the 1156 LED you describe above for rear turn signals. For front turn signals, your post says same as above but amber - so does that mean the immediately above which would be the 1157 in amber for the front? I'm asking because I installed 1156 at all four corners and it went squirrelly on me.

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
If yours is a 2005+ you need the 1157s in the front.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I'm still having trouble with my LED turn signals, maybe I'm doing something wrong. My bike is 2004. I purchased the bulbs as recommended above. For front and rear turn signals, the socket only accepts the 1156 bulb. For the two rear inner bulbs(tail/brake) the socket is for 1157. I'm leaving the center brake bulb alone as incandescent.

When I put amber 1156 LED in all four corners and try turn signals, nothing happens in front and get a very quick single flash from both rears.

Thoughts?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
You may have to add a load resistor across each of the turn signal bulbs. The BMW flasher module is an electronic unit and does not like LED bulbs.

A 5-10 ohm 20 watt resistor on each bulb should do it.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
These LED bulbs may be polarity sensitive. Since the front are just 2 pin, the wires may be reversed since it doesn't really matter for a bulb. If a normal bulb works on the bike, connect some wire leads to the LED and make sure it works. Then check with a meter to make sure the socket on the bike is wired with the same polarity as the LED bulb needs. The Pin is usually positive and the barrel is negative.

I'm still having trouble with my LED turn signals, maybe I'm doing something wrong. My bike is 2004. I purchased the bulbs as recommended above. For front and rear turn signals, the socket only accepts the 1156 bulb. For the two rear inner bulbs(tail/brake) the socket is for 1157. I'm leaving the center brake bulb alone as incandescent.

When I put amber 1156 LED in all four corners and try turn signals, nothing happens in front and get a very quick single flash from both rears.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
All,

For those of you choosing to use load resistors for your LED turn signals, where are you mounting the rear units with all of that plastic back there?

Or is heat not a concern because these are blinkers and not running lights?

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
If the plastic can handle the heat of a bulb it can handle the same heat from the resistors as it is the same amount of power. Most just mount them right on the sockets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts