BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a couple of 4inch white LED strip lights, one in each front signal lense. Looks really good actually. :)

Check it out: http://youtu.be/6WAzlsZLMl4

Video still uploading.... 11:14pm PST, it'll be another hour or so. Stupid slow upload speed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Looks really good Peter :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nice ones! Just out of curiosity: Are those legal in the States (or Canada :) ) or is it so that nobody IRL just don't care?

In Europe the authorities are pretty manic about all lights being nothing but that defined in different directives. And "xxxxx city's finest" really care and flag you off if you are lit up like christmas tree...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I will certainly do that to my 2003 really soon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Happy to share. :)

Don't think there are any legal implications... aside from the white colour but I think the 2005+ have a dual filament bulb there so essentially this is copying that, just not yellow.

No issues here in BC Canada. They don't pull you over unless you have underbody NEON and glow like a nuke. In Europe they are a bit more strict. But I have to say, on my 09' Jetta TDI I put in some blue LED bulbs on the license plate... looked fantastic - with the taillights... red/blue just like the dash lighting. Damn cops, had to replace them..... meanwhile.... they run some red colour CONSUL plates here for embassy people... you can't read the damn thing from 15ft away. I suppose so it's when foreign diplomats do criminal activities they get away with it??

They appear ok in daylight but impossible at night:
and this was my car:

I thought it just looked so integrated like BMW would have designed that.... vs sticking the strip on the body panels somewhere. I looked around the bike placing them just with my fingers to see how it looked. Then I thought of inside the lenses.

There's a battery and momentary ON switch with the package of lights so you can try them before you stick'em on, or in the store.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice mod! I know in NY the light would have to be amber by law, but being seen is the number one priority if you ask me.

My 05 has running lights (amber) in there so it's not a mod I'd need. But being a bit of an LED guy, I converted my Honda VTX to LED and HID. In that instance I used some Custom Dynamics LEDs with a dual brightness adapter in amber, that way i have amber running lights and turn signals all in one. A bit of wiring to do but it is definitely possible. Because I swapped the original turn signal bulb to LED I also needed a load adapter to keep the flash rate at the right speed.

Anyway, nice job and thanks for videoing it for us all to see!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recently I put LED bulbs in my 01' F250 and instead of load resistors went with a replacement "LED" signal relay from Napa. Works great, but the flash rate is slightly faster than OEM but that's just the electronic relay nothing I can do about that.

Response time of LED's is also much quicker than regular bulbs, very useful for brake lights.

The LED's in the truck are these: GP Thunder 3157 LED bulbs not cheap but sold by the pair. Believe it or not they were brighter than my OEM bulbs!! I run clear frosted OE looking taillights, on a white truck looks real clean with lights off.

I got the front signal bulbs also in 3157 amber GP Thunder units... but NOT impressed. Not that bright so stick with just red replacements for now if you do them.

Here's the video on those: F250 LED taillight bulbs

I think the K1200LT uses the 1157 taillight bulbs right? Like these: 1157 LED bulbs you can get some crazy bright ones now. Like I said, very fast "on" time.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Looking good.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
westvandude said:
But I have to say, on my 09' Jetta TDI I put in some blue LED bulbs on the license plate... looked fantastic - with the taillights... red/blue just like the dash lighting. Damn cops, had to replace them.....
Looks nice, but I would pull you over in a heartbeat, and probably write you a citation as a souvenir of our time together.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The LED looks really nice in the turn signal housing.

A few of things to consider, neither of which takes away from how good they look or from your awesome video:

1. Easy to convert turn signal to include running light function. Just swap out socket for a brake lamp socket (available from virtually any dealer) and power the running lamp from parking lamp (what you tapped into for your LED) or, if using a switched aux fuse block, from said fuse block. Having this conversion in addition to your LED mod might look cool.

2. The stock amber lenses have a reflector moulded into the trailing portion (where you put your LED). You might get even more brightness if you put some white SOLAS or DOT C-2 reflective tape on the back (silver) portion of the housing. With the way you have your LED oriented, I suspect it would be even brighter than it is now.

3. The parking lamp bulbs (in headlamp housing) were originally amber. I, too, replaced mine with LEDs, but I stuck with amber to add an additional color band to the front. My current LT, however, is an '05 and so the parking lamps are in the high-beam housing, apart from the low-beam lamp(s) (I have twin low-beam projector HIDs in my Ducati Designs kit).

Again, great job and thank you for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Brilliant! Nice video too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
nice mod ! as a newbie to this stuff how did you wire into the headlight for power i would really like to do this to my lt. the more visability the better.
thanks for the video

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Nice video.
Wish everything we bought or added came with a How To video like yours. Explanation was very good and clear. One bit of advice grow your Thumb finger nail :) you will have that tape off in a snap.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts