BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Ski. You're the very first I've heard that has a fault when running your Cyclops headlights on high beams. I haven't experienced that at all. Have you contacted them about it? I'm curious and would like to know what they have to say about it.

I hate to tell you, but other than the headlights on your 2016 RT which do come with "bulbs", your OEM turn indicators and brake light are already LEDs. No "bulbs" to be replaced. As I warned about advise from guys who have older bikes that are not current generation "wethead" BMWs, they want to be helpful, but they are recommending "bulbs" that aren't part of this generation that have circuit boards and integrated LEDs instead of "bulb" receptacles. There are plenty of after-market products that can provide additional lighting and span older generations, but not to replace "bulbs" in receptacles that do not exist.

The Skene product mentioned is popular for additional brake lighting as are some LED lighting packages for the OEM 49L top case. I've seen LED strip lighting added to the case that includes integrated turn indicators as well by aid of a brake and turn signal controller. And of course there are additional add-on driving lights from Denali, Clearwater and others that shouldn't have heat or power issues as they are out in the wind.

Good luck.
You're right about the turn signal indicators - I figured it out looking at the schematics for the bike. I have both the Skene Photon Blaster and P3 units for front and rear. I'm trying to figure out how I can connect my front turn signals to the photon controller so that they will become running lights that blink "off" instead of dark lights that blink "on".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Curiosity question....Did you install the high beams with the resistors included in the kit? I think that that instructions say that they can be excluded (I have to read them again to confirm).
I installed both resistors. Cyclops suggests I check them again but I really don't want to tear down the front of the bike to get to the headlight assenbly so I can check.

Ski

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've got the same intermittent "bulb out" issue with my 2018 RT with Cyclops on high beams. They sent me a replacement set which I installed and still have the same issue so I have to believe it's my overly sensitive bike and not the lights. I really like the lights but think I will be removing them if anyone is interested in buying a slightly used set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the same intermittent "bulb out" issue with my 2018 RT with Cyclops on high beams. They sent me a replacement set which I installed and still have the same issue so I have to believe it's my overly sensitive bike and not the lights. I really like the lights but think I will be removing them if anyone is interested in buying a slightly used set.
I'm thinking the same thing...............

·
Registered
16 Posts
BD, does your code rectify itself within a few seconds, or does it stay on?

I just did a test ride with High Beams on. The bike threw the code after 5 minutes and then again at 22 minutes but the code recified itself and the warning light went out after about 30 seconds both times.

·
Registered
159 Posts
BD, does your code rectify itself within a few seconds, or does it stay on?

I just did a test ride with High Beams on. The bike threw the code after 5 minutes and then again at 22 minutes but the code recified itself and the warning light went out after about 30 seconds both times.
Yes, dash warning goes away after a few seconds,headlights never actually go out, never happens in Low Beam, only High.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts