BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing that there are now recent new H7 options for alternative blubs for "Tubby" I was wondering if anyone has tried them yet?

I know there are respected distributors of some very reliable blubs for other bikes, H3 being the most common, but now there are some nice H7's out there.

My thought for going LED was to stay away from the common "ballast" issue many on other bikes struggle with...

Thanx
M

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well since no one has yet tried these out, and the fact that 2 different distributors suggest leaving the back cover off to keep the back side of the LED unit cool, I'll just install a HID H7 5000k.

Cheers,
M

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
This is the first I have heard that LED H7s were available. Been pretty happy with the HID for the last 10 years.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
In my headlight, an 00, the high beam bulb is within a BMW designed housing. As a result, one cannot easily replace the bulb. to use a brighter halogen bulb I bought the assembly parts from a bmw dealer and after experimenting used a small hose clamp to ground the bulb to the metal housing.

If you are looking for a LED high beam, consider pre made units which look small enough to be mounted under the mirrors. If you use a separate switch and relay if necessary, you can aim them differently and switch off the high beam that interferes with traffic in the opposite lane on interstates. Or aim them both the same way and then if a needed relay ceases functioning, you don't loose both high beams.

bob

Reactions: sparkx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob, yeah it is nice that companies are producing them.
But you're right, while a new idea, I'll go towards installing just a HID low beam assembly as leaving in 5 weeks for my cross country trip on the K1200LT I really do not want to mess with an unknown, presently.
Thanks!
M

In my headlight, an 00, the high beam bulb is within a BMW designed housing. As a result, one cannot easily replace the bulb. to use a brighter halogen bulb I bought the assembly parts from a bmw dealer and after experimenting used a small hose clamp to ground the bulb to the metal housing.

If you are looking for a LED high beam, consider pre made units which look small enough to be mounted under the mirrors. If you use a separate switch and relay if necessary, you can aim them differently and switch off the high beam that interferes with traffic in the opposite lane on interstates. Or aim them both the same way and then if a needed relay ceases functioning, you don't loose both high beams.

bob

·
Registered
193 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but now there are "good" LED H7 blubs available from reputable suppliers.

I put the HID in last year, but have never been happy with the blast of light because the housing is not built for an HID. The beam broadcasts too high and at night I get flashed by other drivers too often. I suspect it's not safe for drivers coming towards me, which makes it unsafe for me.

Has anyone tried the LED headlight yet? If not, I may purchase one and try it. If I do this does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but now there are "good" LED H7 blubs available from reputable suppliers.

I put the HID in last year, but have never been happy with the blast of light because the housing is not built for an HID. The beam broadcasts too high and at night I get flashed by other drivers too often. I suspect it's not safe for drivers coming towards me, which makes it unsafe for me.

Has anyone tried the LED headlight yet? If not, I may purchase one and try it. If I do this does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
I am in the same boat as you... I think the HID is even worse than the stock halogen, and that's saying something!

I've been researching the LEDs, and one consistent thing I seem to hear about them is to not purchase the ones with fans, but rather with the ribbon cable heat syncs. Apparently the fans are prone to failure, and obviously the light would fail without proper cooling.

Please update us on how it goes... I for one am very curious!

Thanks, Adam.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's LED! Unless I crash I shouldn't need another one. Then again, if I have a crash, I may not need the second one :)

Maybe we can split a pair.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Similar to what I'm considering here, but because the ones I'm looking at aren't specifically for motorcycles, it's a pair. Figured it would make an excellent spare... Same price as yours :)
Here is another one on Amazon but using the same Phillips LED's rather than the Cree similar to the link to Xenon Depot and it is also less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Kit/dp/B00X74Y6Q0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_40?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GPWP5BVN4HW42GRB2GV

Just ordered it to see what it will do and how hard it is to install.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you did the HID, it will be easier than that. If you didn't do the HID, it's not that difficult. There's a metal bar that holds the back cover on. It pops down and then the cover comes off and you can work with it just like a car. You'll have to remove the ballast for the HID when you replace it. Should take 15-30min.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
If you did the HID, it will be easier than that. If you didn't do the HID, it's not that difficult. There's a metal bar that holds the back cover on. It pops down and then the cover comes off and you can work with it just like a car. You'll have to remove the ballast for the HID when you replace it. Should take 15-30min.
I figure it should be pretty easy. Lights are currently stock as far as I know but I haven't been inside the headlight area yet. I have seen pictures of the bar and the back cover so I know what to look for.

Since it is a 2 pack, I figure it comes with a spare ahead of time should it decide to fail :) Small enough to drag along for safety reasons and no extra cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a LED low beam bulb at Billings. It has a small ballast that is not a problem and it also has a small fan behind the bulb. It is very bright and so far no problems.

Reactions: ALL4BMW

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I bought a LED low beam bulb at Billings. It has a small ballast that is not a problem and it also has a small fan behind the bulb. It is very bright and so far no problems.
I looked at those also with the fan and there are a myriad of them. Both Cree and Phillips make one with a flexible copper band heat sink rather than a fan so nothing to break causing the bulb to overheat if the spinning fan stops.

I chose the Phillips over the Cree as there were a few problem reviews with the Cree. Should have them by Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
OK, I got my LED bulbs today and since it is raining, it was a good day to go ahead and install it. They came 2 H7's to a pack so since my original Halogen was still good, I have that and one additional H7 LED as spares.

Installation was fairly easy but the bulb clips were a bugger seeing the normal power plug comes off the Halogen bulb and the clips are then easy to spring open to remove the bulb. The LED has a large square block on the back where the heat sink band connects so that is in the way and getting the lower clip on takes some acrobatics with the bulb in pulling out the lower side so the clip can be worked in under the block and into the slot to secure the bulb in place.

It can be done with a little patience and a good bright light so you can see what you are doing up there. No Tupperware removal required.

Even with the ballast and the heat sink band, it all fit up in the housing and the cover went back on with little difficulty.

After looking at the pictures side by side, this is definitely an upgrade and hopefully longer or as long lasting as the HID alternative.

The light is much whiter than the Halogen as you can see in the attached pictures and no warm up time as with the HID.

I did a side by side comparrison to see where the LED element lined up with the Halogen and they look equally positioned. I don't expect to need any headlight adjustment and the disbursement pattern on the wall looks about equal as expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks great. On the final picture with the three light patterns, is one with the high beam and the LED? Also, is the LED broadcasting right and left enough? The Hal photo looks a little broader.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Looks great. On the final picture with the three light patterns, is one with the high beam and the LED? Also, is the LED broadcasting right and left enough? The Hal photo looks a little broader.
The final picture is from top to bottom. Original Halogen, new LED and new LED with original High beam. You can tell as it is the yellow spot in the center. I realize I didn't get the scale the same on my cut and paste but the disbursement pattern is pretty close from old to new. I am posting the original photos unedited so you can compare. I didn't do a great job of taking the pics from the same point so there is some difference but you should be able to get some reference points to see and compare the side to side.

Attachments

Reactions: Hayduke
1 - 20 of 105 Posts