BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to take 6 worksing days off this month (10-11 travel days) to burn some vacation time so a wing rider and I on my '09 LT are heading for a 50cc quest from JAX to SAN on Saturday.

We have been planning this for 4 months now and are all set.

Weather from http://www.wunderground.com/roadtrip looks great except for a 20% chance of rain on the gulf coast. ( See actual weather forcast here http://tinyurl.com/50CC2011 )

Wish us luck..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ride safe...with 4 months of planning, you probably have everything covered.

Keep an eye on traffic patterns and you will be just fine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Best of luck as we envy in quest for such a great ride... RIDE SAFE!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck Paul, I'll be making a trip to Austin myself in May for a Navy reunion. Looking forward to some Texas bbq and blues!!!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Hi Paul,

Hope that you'all have a great trip..... Be sure and slow down occasionally to enjoy the ride... Let us know how it is going...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Good luck with your ride.....give us a ride report when you get rested. It is always an adventure!

Ron

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You're gonna have a story to tell. Here first please. Sounds like real fun. Have a ball. :wave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Long run, are you a member of the BMWOA? If so don't forget to get your mileage checked for the mileage contest. Starts April 9th!!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Good luck, Paul. Don't forget to keep all the receipts and have your witness form signed, beginning and ending. Fire stations, EMS bases, or donut shops (I didnt' just say that, did I?) are usually staffed 24 hours. They are good witnesses for your ride if you can't find an IBA member. Be sure to stop whenever you need to take a break. Get gas before you think you need to. Once you're in west TX, NM, AZ, and CA, gas stops can get kind of spaced out. I used to run I-10 in a big truck. Beware the I-10 Express. 1, 2 am or so, the bull haulers are heading west.

Have a great trip. Post it up and let us know how it goes.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Don't blink twice Paul or you'll miss everything in between the two coasts :thumb: :yeah: . I'm looking forward to your report :wave .

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Have a great, save ride. Myself and a GS rider are doing this ride later in the year. Please let us all know how it goes. i will take any advice. Keep the rubber side down. Make sure you get your rest.(8 hrs) is all you get.
Be safe, Will be thinking of you guys all weekend.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
saddleman said:
Don't blink twice Paul or you'll miss everything in between the two coasts :thumb: :yeah: . I'm looking forward to your report :wave .
Same here. Have a good ride and then let us know how it went.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice.

I promise to take some time coming back to "smell the sceneary"

We are going up the Pacific Coast HWY out of San Diego up past LA, and over to the east side of the Sequoia National Forest for a ride thru Death Valley

Next is over to Vegas and then to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon

We have a few "rides" selected from hwww.motorcycleroads.com like the " Coronado Trail " before we make a bee line to New Orleans and then home to Orlando.

Should be fun..

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
All the best on your ride, Paul. We'll all be riding pillion with you and anxious to hear your reports!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Paul,
I ride the Coronado Trail at least once a year since I live close by. You're going to attack it at a fairly early time of year. Make sure the road is open. It's closed a lot during winter/spring. The altitude at the top near Hannigan Meadow is about 9400 feet.
Have fun and definitely let us know how it was.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I will be watching for your ride report. I am planning the 50cc for late August on the way to CCR. Documentation is not the hardest part, but it is a pain to do. I did the border to border two years ago. It looks like the CC will be harder.

Stay alert and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I had posted this on Sunday April 10th when we arrived in San Diego.

We arrived safely at ~8:30pm PST in San Diego. Total time = ~43.5 hours.

More details to follow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts