BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding about once a month (I live about 500 miles from where the Big Girl is kept), and today, I discovered that brake fluid has been leaking on the shifter side of the front tire. Does anybody know what this problem might be and how to fix it?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
PilotPhil said:
I have been riding about once a month (I live about 500 miles from where the Big Girl is kept), and today, I discovered that brake fluid has been leaking on the shifter side of the front tire. Does anybody know what this problem might be and how to fix it?
It is most likely the rubber line has failed. Most of us that have had this happened have upgraded to Spiegler Stainless Steel lines. If the bike is more then 5 years old ALL the rubber lines need to be replaced. OEM replacement lines will cost about $400.00
HERE is just one of many threads about it

·
Registered
493 Posts
PilotPhil said:
Double check you are actually losing brake fluid. When the fork seals leak, it can look like the brake caliper is leaking. Check your fluid level and look up the forks to be sure the fluid isn't coming from farther up. Just something to look at.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In cleaning it up and looking closer, it's the dampener. The shop says that they cannot be rebuilt, but I rebuild airplane shimmy dampeners, so I don't see why this requires purchasing a new $350 part. Thanks for all your help!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts