BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unable to find any threads on this subject, so I am asking here.
I have a 2010 RT with a little over 12K miles. All of a sudden the front brake reservoir has started to leak around the screwed on cap. It is especially bad when the weather is warm and the direct sunlight hits it. It does not leak much and fluid levels are well within parameters, but it is peeling the paint off the cap. Screw tightening does no good and I already tried a new boot (gasket) which also did not solve the problem.

Has this been a reported problem with the late model RT's? Hate the new design.

Ultra LT

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
I do recall reading something about your problem in the past! you might want to try a search. Besides, it should be covered under your warranty, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Although I did not spot any leaking, the paint did peel off my reservoir cover (2010 RT). It was replaced under warranty but paint is only covered for one year so push hard on this point. I would hope they would take care of you because this is a known problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have just become a 2010 RT owner and have exactly the same issue. It is the only blemish on an otherwise perfect bike. The two year warranty had just expired when I bought it. Does anyone think BMW would still cover this under warranty. Otherwise I will pay for it to be replaced when next serviced later in the year.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Gs921441 said:
I have just become a 2010 RT owner and have exactly the same issue. It is the only blemish on an otherwise perfect bike. The two year warranty had just expired when I bought it. Does anyone think BMW would still cover this under warranty. Otherwise I will pay for it to be replaced when next serviced later in the year.
Just ask the dealer; all they can say is No.

If they won't replace it you might also consider the Touratech aluminum option:
http://www.streetline-usa.com/Store...ir-cap-anodized-aluminium-BMW-R1200RT-2010-on

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Best to go ask right now closer to your expired date rather than later. Can it be dealt with by just replacing the rubber bellows/gasket inside? Or, is it an issue with the cap or reservoir edge? Something simple has to be leaking. If you have to pay for it yourself I would start with a new cap and bellows/gasket first, then move to the reservoir if needed. Gee, if the edge of the reservoir is smooth what gives? :confused:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update: finally got to the dealer and they found the boot (that's the rubber gasket thingy inside the reservoir) was pinched and said that was the reason for the leaking. The brake fluid was changed by the original owner's dealer in Sarasota, FL before I bought the bike. So no warranty claim here, just bad workmanship by that dealer. Since I live 700 + miles away, I cannot hold them accountable. Anyway, no further leaks at this time. Cap looks very bad with the pealing paint.

Ultra LT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.