BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right side fork was leaking, I discovered while wiring my new mini HID driving lights.

Initial dread, then I read this post on the forum, and learned what an easy (and relatively inexpensive) fix it was!

I almost did both sides, as a preemptive strike, but decided to hold off on the left side (it it ain't broke, don't break it). :D

Thanks again, the the OP, and other contributors of this post. Made my day, and literally took only an extra 45 minutes of time from what I was doing. Used the old fork oil too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I personally don't like the idea of using old fork oil, as I am sure there is some junk in it. But who knows, may last forever, may not.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was leery too, but saw where many said they used old. The "old" looked perfectly pristine and clean.

Maybe it still looked clean because I caught the leak early, and fixed it within 24 hours.

·
Registered
999 Posts
+1 - ATF is inexpensive and old oil will have a certain amount of abbrasive debri in it

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I tried my hardest to tell my big bro that he should have changed that oil. He would not listen. I also had to tell him not to touch the other fork, too... He's a tad bit hard headed and never listens... :wave

But, in retrospect, he will have a ready made excuse the next time he can't keep up... I can hear it now...

"The right fork felt a little odd, so I had to slow down in the curves..."
"I couldn't complete the IBA 50CC, because I had to stop and replace the oil in my fork"
"I had to keep it under the speed limit to reduce the wear on my forks"

:dance:

Who loves ya...?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last time I pay YOU $8.00 S&H....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
hallzee said:
The right side fork was leaking, I discovered while wiring my new mini HID driving lights.

Initial dread, then I read this post on the forum, and learned what an easy (and relatively inexpensive) fix it was!

I almost did both sides, as a preemptive strike, but decided to hold off on the left side (it it ain't broke, don't break it). :D

Thanks again, the the OP, and other contributors of this post. Made my day, and literally took only an extra 45 minutes of time from what I was doing. Used the old fork oil too.
BMW dealer book price is "only" $280 parts and labor to change $30 forkseals.
Totally escapes me why they want $250 labor for less than a 1 hour job.
I offered to pay 1 hr labor and was turned down so used your same post and did both sides in 45 minutes. I also reused the oil with no adverse affects.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I replaced the right fork seal a week or two ago... Piece of cake.

I was tempted to reuse the oil as well, but decided why pinch pennies; a bottle of BMW fork oil was only $7.49 at the stealer. When I drained the old oil, there was some crap in the bottom of the tub. Probably would have stayed there and not hurt anything since fork is not an active part of the suspension.

Drained the oil, cleaned the tube, out in $3.75 worth of fork oil, and that was it.

I, too, opted not to change the left seal. Like you said, if it ain't broke, why break it. Gotta remember that one! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts