BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2008 K1200LT with just over 48,000 miles ...but this is my 2nd final drive on.. It has been working good for about 15,000 miles but since the last 5000 it has begun a leak at the rubber boot just in front of the FD..At first it looked like moisture ..But where is it coming from??? Well because I still had warranty on the FD for another month they would check it for free. but if it is the trans rear seal it would cost ..Took it in they said nothing wrong... Well giving it a good wash and parking it on a slight angle there is oil present... I could smell it.. but I do not know where it is coming from.. Trans seal or final drive front seal ????? I am able to do my own service work but if I don't need to I would let the dealer do it only under warranty.. Any one have any ideas ?????????
Mark Anderson

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You can start by pulling the boot and taking a peek inside.

Removing the FD is not a big deal if you want to check. Putting it back on is not a horror, but it can be tricky with just one set of hands.

Have you checked the oil in your FD? Does it look any different than it normally does?

I suspect one of the FD gurus, Dave, John, and/or Curtis will come across your post and give you some meaningful tips.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
motogp62 said:
Any one have any ideas ?????????
Mark Anderson
Drain the final drive and fill it with a different oil from that in the transmission. If it comes out red (BMW synthetic) then put in Royal Purple. Pull the boot back and clean the area with some rags and reinstall the boot. Watch it for a few days, weeks whatever it takes and then look at the color of the leaked fluid. Then you will know what is leaking. No rush on either one to fix as they are not show stoppers unless it is pouring out.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
The easy way to see if it is the FD leaking is to change to a different color gear oil. Go to a local parts store & ask if they have a different color oil than what you have in it now.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
See... I told ya!

Great idea... Will have to save that one (along with all of the others, going to need a bigger binder!).

·
Registered
929 Posts
Recently, I had what appeared to be a leaking final drive seal. I had switched to a different brand oil in my FD. Took a 3200 mile round trip and noticed the leakage...checked the level and it appeared to be normal. I then happened to read a very old thread where someone had the same experience as me...and they went back to their old brand and it stopped. I did the same and my leak stopped. Cleaned up everything--and 2000 miles later it's still clean. Not sure if you changed oil type in your FD or not...but it's just an idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys for the comments...I have changed the oil to red in the FD... so I will see what happens ... From there... Mark

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
motogp62 said:
Thanks Guys for the comments...I have changed the oil to red in the FD... so I will see what happens ... From there... Mark
Just a reminder no more than 230 ML or just a tick less than 8oz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts