BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i noticed the bike smelled like it was running very rich. Today I get to work and notice gas all over the lower right side plastics. Is there a known issue I should be looking for?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Dewey... You need these.

Once you get the right side plastic off, it's a matter of minutes to fix.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
hillcruiser said:
Or if you like your money you can get this (Part# 5478K419 from McMaster-Carr). You'll also need the Viton O-rings (Part# 9464K16).
I would not expect these to have the shut-off valves that the more expensive QD's have however. And that is something you WILL want for whenever you need to remove your tank!

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
I would not expect these to have the shut-off valves that the more expensive QD's have however. And that is something you WILL want for whenever you need to remove your tank!

John
...despite the fact the product description indicates they do? :)
I've got them on both my bikes and they do have the shutoffs just like the crappy plastic OEMs.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
In actuallity, BMW now has a metal male QD that will work just fine with the plastic side. P/N 13537700800 $29.72 per. The female side has never had a problem.

This will be going on mine when we rebuild it this weekend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great! Another typical issue arises. Thank you for all the replies. Hopefully, I'll get them by the weekend. Mine as well do the Jensen radio swap since the plastics are off and my becker crapped the bed (for good) last week.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
This would require 2 sets of the male connector ($11.00 ea.) and 2 sets of the female connector ($17 ea) for a total of $56.00 in order to change both the supply and return lines. Still saves $20.00, almost enough for a genuine BMW oil filter!

deweycop wrote: snip....since the plastics are off and my becker crapped the bed (for good) last week. endsnip. What's a becker and I'm sorry it crapped out for good!

hillcruiser said:
Or if you like your money you can get this (Part# 5478K419 from McMaster-Carr). You'll also need the Viton O-rings (Part# 9464K16).

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
deweychop said:
Great! Another typical issue arises. Thank you for all the replies.
Don't forget to replace your rubber valve stems with metal ones before they blowout. Tires set to 42 and 48. Never park on centerstand in neutral. Always stop with the front wheel straight ahead. Flush your brakes regularly.

Maybe we need to summarize all these and make it required reading when a new guy checks in.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought I needed the females too so I orderd four complete pairs. But the male snapped right into the OEM plastic female just like it should and I haven't had any issues in several hundred miles (still early, I know). From all appearances down to the stamped initialing the plastic OEMs, the plastic McMaster-Carr equivalents and the chrome-plated brass units appear identical in all regards ceptin' the color (OEM = black, McMaster = white) and material (plastic = um... plastic, metal = metal).

For those looking to go all the way, the matching female QD part number (with shut-off valve!) is 5478K229.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
hillcruiser said:
...despite the fact the product description indicates they do? :)
I've got them on both my bikes and they do have the shutoffs just like the crappy plastic OEMs.
Mea Culpa! I guess next time I should actually read the print rather than just looking at the price.

I am still amazed that they are available at that price. Good find!

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or for just a few dollars (less than ten) go to you local marine dealer and buy brass hose joiners and stainless steel hose clamps... I did this a few months back at around 140,000 klm. I don't understand why the need for QD's when it only takes a couple of turns with a screwdriver to disconnect these fuel lines..

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Col H said:
Or for just a few dollars (less than ten) go to you local marine dealer and buy brass hose joiners and stainless steel hose clamps... I did this a few months back at around 140,000 klm. I don't understand why the need for QD's when it only takes a couple of turns with a screwdriver to disconnect these fuel lines..
QDs stop the fuel flow immediately on separation.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
Book marked for future reference. Thanks!

I would do it now BEFORE you hav trouble!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hillcruiser said:
Unless you have smaller fuel lines than I do, these are the wrong part. I have a 5/16" fuel line with a 7/16 OD on the male quick disconnect. These ones are for a 1/4 fuel line and a 5/16" OD quick disconnect. According to their site, they don't carry a brass QD with a 7/16" OD :(

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
jzeiler said:
Never park on centerstand in neutral. .:)
John, did you mean to say "SIDESTAND"?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
John, did you mean to say "SIDESTAND"?

Yeah, but I was on a roll...

·
Registered
231 Posts
deweychop said:
Yesterday i noticed the bike smelled like it was running very rich. Today I get to work and notice gas all over the lower right side plastics. Is there a known issue I should be looking for?
It happened to my previous (2004) LT, right after the warranty expired. I replaced with OEM not knowing any better solution.
Now with my 2007 LT, it is still fine and I'm not gona touch it until I smell the fuel.
BJ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts