BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this nice little rubber piece when i pulled back my boot at the final drive. It is leaking somewhere. This piece was laying in front of the boot on the swingarm. Any help? Please tell me it is an easy fix. Went to the NC tech session and I knew it was leaking and John told me to check it so I did tonight and found this.
Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not an o-ring. Looks like something clamps around it because there is a groove around the outside. There is also a groove on one side and flat on the other.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hmmmm.

ironbuttwannabe said:
its not an o-ring. Looks like something clamps around it because there is a groove around the outside. There is also a groove on one side and flat on the other.
Universal joint bearing cap seal???

Good Luck.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup. just got out my service manual and it is a seal from a universal somewhere. I guess the only way to find which one is to tear the whole thing off. Just what I wanted to do. Reading here it says you cannot open up the universal. Is this true? That means I need a whole new driveshaft!!!
Whats anyones recommendations, drive it till failure or replace it? How long will it last?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
driveshaft = $504.00

this bike might be for sale not my 1100.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
driveshaft = $504.00

this bike might be for sale not my 1100.
Hi Neil,

At Chicago BMW, their price should be about $400. Also, try some boneyards. If these guys (http://www.cyclesrecycled.com/) have one for a decent price, I could go look at it for you to make sure it's in good shape.

Also, the u-joint seal probably doesn't have anything to do with the oil residue on your driveshaft housing. Were you able to determine if the leak ran down the housing from the tranny or from the rear drive, or both?

I didn't feel any vibrations for the the short ride I took on your bike. It's hard to say how long the u-joint will last with the seal missing or why it split and fell off.

Would you do this work yourself? There are a few special tools needed to accomplish the work. Sorry I'm not closer to help.

Hey Joe, go help the kid out:D

Or if any of you other Buckeyes have done the slave drill job you could help Neil do this work.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think its coming from the tranny didn't see any trail. Im guessing its coming from the final drive. Didn't look too much into it. The piece of rubber frustrated me enough. Well i better get some sleep. 2:30 is gonna come real fast.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Drive Shaft

First off, find out for sure where it came from. If it turns out that it is a joint cap seal you have options other than a new drive shaft. Channing suggested a decent one. If it turns out to be off of the rear joint (my bet) the stub shaft (rear section of the shaft assembly) should be available used. I think that part is discarded if a unit is triked. I think I have one from a drive I picked up as a spare. 1999 I think. I'll look and you yell if you need it. Shafts show up on Ebay once in awhile too.

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts