BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week-end I replaced my front and rear brake pads and flushed the brake fluid. I then went for a test ride to test the brakes and bed-in the brake pads. After few strong brakings the front left brake line just broke on me. I am lucky as it happened while I was testing the brakes and it did not take me too much by surprise. My LT is a 99 and the brake lines are original. I inspect the brake lines every time I work on the bike and while they looked in good condition I knew they were due to replacement. When I moved the calipers to change the pads I had to slightly twist the already fatigued lines just enough to accelerate the problem that was ready to happen anyway. Since my bike does not have the integrated brakes I still had the rear brake which enabled me to come back home safely.
Fortunatly it was just a wake up call this time.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Last week-end I replaced my front and rear brake pads and flushed the brake fluid. I then went for a test ride to test the brakes and bed-in the brake pads. After few strong brakings the front left brake line just broke on me. I am lucky it happened while I was testing the brakes as it did not take me too much by surprise. My LT is a 99 and the brake lines are original. I inspect the brake lines every time I work on the bike and while they looked in good condition I knew they were due to replacement. When I moved the calipers to change the pads I had to slightly twist the already fatigued lines just enough to accelerate the problem that was ready to happen anyway. Since my bike does not have the integrated brakes I still had the rear brake which enabled me to come back home safely.
Fortunatly it was just a waking call this time.
That happened to me twice before I was aware of the deterioration issue of the OEM lines. First was the short rear MC hose. Got on the bike and as I left my house, no rear brake so I turned around and found the reservoir empty. I filled it and checked for leaks and found the leaking hose. I replaced it with stock and a few weeks later, the rear line went also as I was leaving my house so I was lucky both times. It was at that time I learned of the issue and went with a Spiegler full set replacement never looking back. You will find me on the side of replacing all the OEM lines on any LT just as a matter of safety regardless of MFG date of the bike. Just get it done and not worry about it again.

Reactions: Voyager
1 - 2 of 2 Posts