BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At almost 41K miles, found oil in RD connecting boot to drive shaft housing. Believe it to be, smells like may be coming from transmission seal.

Stupid thing was, I changed RD fluid, before ! I checked boot for oil ! so if its the RD pinion, i just wasted my time ! :rolleyes:

Good thing was, RD fluid looked real good, with very little fuzz on magnet.

In shop, if transmission seal, will have slave checked while inside.

Any other suggestions while it is apart ?

Thanks.....

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
There is a chance it is coming from the output seal on the tranny. I can't remember for sure but I "think" you can access the rubber by the tranny without doing any major dissassemby. Lets hope someone that is sure wabout this will chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
You'll have to remove the rear swingarm. That's major because it's torqued at 147.5 ft. lbs. You also may require a special tool to replace the swingarm. You can make one yourself or borrow one from a member here. They're not hard to make and chances are if you do your own maintenance, you'll need it again in the future.................good luck........... :)

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
If you are only leaking a small amount, don't panic. Many (inc me) ride with a small tranny leak. You don't want a cup full mind you!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not resolved yet. shop has not been able to get it torn down to determine where the fluid is coming from. hopefully, its the pinion seal and not the trans output seal ! Will know something on Tueday. If it's the trans seal, i'm going to pick it up, check trans fluid level and go on my trip anyway. get it fixed when i return..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Leak ! Resolved

Well turns out it was Pinion Seal for RD. Easy fix, but also discoverd that half of my fork seals are bad, :eek: so another 3-4 hours labor to replace all the fork seals while it is apart !

That should take me all the way to retirement in about 4-5 years ? :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts