BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 LT with about 200,000 miles on it. I just found a small leak on the flange on the bottom of the right radiator on the outlet to the left radiator. Has anyone had any luck with using JB Weld on this spot or does anyone have any comments about doing this?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Barr's Stop Leak worked for me years ago. You have to add it again if you drain the system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you need to get home or want to keep riding for now; I'd try Stop Leak and/or JB. JB seems to work better as a glob, thin coat tends to crack for me :(

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I leak sees to be in a metal flange on the bottom where the hose attaches to connect to the left radiator. I wonder how this would hold long term. I had a friend fix a hole in the mail portion of his engine while in SA and it was still holding two years later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It should hold. I suggest clean the area thoroughly, scuff with some fine sandpaper which should help with adhesion. Glob on a bit JB and let cure. It doesn't have to hold much pressure after all.

I'd give JB a shot and keep a bottle of Stop Leak in a trunk until you feel confident with the repair. If I ever got to a point of tearing into the bike further for other needed work, I'd also pull the radiator and take to a shop or just replace it.

Some antique car radiators you end up chasing the leaks. One leak can mean other areas are close to compromise. You fix one spot and the next spot fails, etc. Stop Leak in trunk for insurance :) until you're comfortable. It's a 2006 bike not a 40-50 yr old bike, so radiator should otherwise be fine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Regardless what other members say, take the radiator out, is not that big of a job. Take it to a Radiator repair shop and they weld it for you. Will hold up for the next 50 Years.
Not just a joke, no burned Child.

Manfred

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
there is all ways E-bay. :wave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts