BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My instrument cluster LCD screen started to bubble and delaminate.
Probably better to replace the instrument panel. Don’t want to loose my mileage info though.
Any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
There is a plastic cover over the whole instrument cluster that could be replaced. I know it has a coating on the inside that you should not touch from a member that did remove his trying to "calibrate" the speedometer by removing and replacing the pointer a small amount. You can probably get by by just replacing the clear cover.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you !

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the delaminating film. Now I know why the other person advised not to touch the LCD screen.
Well, it has a glue that under a polarizing film (that's what it was) any fingerprints or glue residue shows as a dark area, making the rest of the screen unreadable.
I used 3M contact cleaner, and Plexus to clean and condition the glue until it all was gone. There are two small spots of glue that wouldn't go away, and appear dark on the polarizer film, but not too much.

Then, I realized I need to get polarizer film, which obviously you cannot get in this country (Nicaragua).
So, had to order from Amazon, and the LT will be in pieces until it arrives. maybe in three weeks.
I will use the time to install the aftermarket amp.
I also bought the red LEDs, but not sure if I want to do that now...

BTW, how do you remove the needles?
Just pry them out?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
I have never removed them but that same guy "calibrated" his speedometer by pulling the needle off and pushing it back on a few degrees over.

I didn't realize you meant the little screen, I was talking about the clear cover for the whole assembly. Guess that Nicaragua sun is pretty brutal.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never removed them but that same guy "calibrated" his speedometer by pulling the needle off and pushing it back on a few degrees over.

I didn't realize you meant the little screen, I was talking about the clear cover for the whole assembly. Guess that Nicaragua sun is pretty brutal.
The UV index is 12. All year round.

I spent 4 hours two days ago in the sun. I got a freaking headache, and got an unintentional little tan.
Not very friendly to white people, and definitively not friendly to gingers.
My american friends have developed a permanent tan over time.
I was wearing sunscreen, otherwise, I can get a little sunburn, and it takes up to two months to get my regular skin color back.

Mostly is because I don't have a garage, and I have covers in all the bikes, but they only last one year.
I got a BMW LT cover, and it lasted 9 months.
I got a Lifetime cover, that I read it lasts decades in the US in the outdoors.
It lasted about 2 years. It's brutal.

It's out of my budget, but I will be building a little annex to shelter the bikes out of the sun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed the polarizing film.
I think I rubbed the liquid crystal too hard and made the dark spots worse.
Anyways. It’s legible.

I’ll find another instrument cluster in time.
And keep it out of this sun.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
I have a BMR shelf over my dash and I mounted my GPS to it. My wife made me a fabric cover for the GPS and it also had a "bib" that came down and shaded the rest of the dash. I had seen some LTs where the LCD had gone darker on them and it was a good thing to keep the sun off it. It was held on with velcro and was easy to install and remove.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was completely dark.
The polarizing film delaminated and wrinkled.
Just before installed the new film I cleaned the LCD again and I think I put too much pressure and some segments are faded now.
But it’s readable.

Care to share a pic of your setup?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: mondrage
1 - 10 of 10 Posts