BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LCD on my 2005 LT sucks! Unless the sun is behind me, the LCD panel in shadow is UNREADABLE. Plus the shiny plastic dash panel reflects the sun in my eyes as well. What a poor design of a control panel.

OK, enough venting.

Is there a way to improve the contrast on the LCD panel?

I may put black tape over the daylight sensors to keep the panel lit day and night.

This could have been a much better designed panel for a bike that costs this much to begin with.

This topic may have been covered previously, and if so, just point me at the post and I'll shut up.:(

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've ridden my '06 in every lighting condidtion imaginable and have never had a problem reading the display. Do you use polorized lens sunglasses, they sometimes play havoc with LCD panels.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have had no issues either (07). I also do not use polarized sunglasses, as they make seeing thru plastic tricky at best. In one of the cars, cannot read the radio panel with polarized glasses.

·
Registered
507 Posts
taylorjn said:
I have had no issues either (07). I also do not use polarized sunglasses, as they make seeing thru plastic tricky at best. In one of the cars, cannot read the radio panel with polarized glasses.
I occasionally use polarized sun glasses and have not had a problem reading the LCD on my '07. On the other hand, polarized sunglasses make it difficult to read my Garmin GPS which is the primary reason that I avoid using them. I'm sure you know that you can vary the brightness of the (orange) gauge lights and LCD backlight for night time viewing. I don't know if that has any impact on the LCD contrast during day light.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My sunglasses are NOT polarized.:)

I have read MOM and find NO adjustments for either brightness or contrast on the LCD panel for my 2005 LT. If there is an adjustment for brightness I'd love to know about it.:)

My GPS I can read fine except for when the sun is coming over my shoulder. However, I can hold my hand up and block the sun and then read it just fine.:)

So, I'm glad you've never had the problem, but I do and am still convinced the LCD is way under brightness and contrast.:(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Triker said:
[snip]... I have read MOM and find NO adjustments for either brightness or contrast on the LCD panel for my 2005 LT. If there is an adjustment for brightness I'd love to know about it. [end snip]
If the '05 manuals are the same as my '07 manuals, see page 31 of the Riders Manual related to On-board computer Display dimming where it explains that "the brightness of the backlit multifunction display is variable."

If you still can't find it: The Trip Reset button, when pressed once (not held down like you would to reset the trip meter) toggles the level of dimming display. Each time you press the button the brightness increases one level until max. After max, each time you press the button it decreases it one level. As I stated in my prior post, you can adjust the brightness but it it may not have an effect on contrast.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jhsonderb said:
If the '05 manuals are the same as my '07 manuals, see page 31 of the Riders Manual related to On-board computer Display dimming where it explains that "the brightness of the backlit multifunction display is variable."

If you still can't find it: The Trip Reset button, when pressed once (not held down like you would to reset the trip meter) toggles the level of dimming display. Each time you press the button the brightness increases one level until max. After max, each time you press the button it decreases it one level. As I stated in my prior post, you can adjust the brightness but it it may not have an effect on contrast.
so, the same button that changes the mileage display from total mileage to Trip A and Trip B is also controlling the brightness of the night time display? wow! I'd have never guessed it. Thanks.:wave

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I'd like to know if that works because every time I press that button the display moves on to the next function.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
Triker said:
so, the same button that changes the mileage display from total mileage to Trip A and Trip B is also controlling the brightness of the night time display? wow! I'd have never guessed it. Thanks.:wave

That feature was added between 06 and 07 after complaints that the display was too bright at night and is NOT available on the 05. I guess you could always order a newer dash assy $1,500!!! :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts