BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I posted earlier this week about my oil leak at the trans extension area and the consensus is that I have the blown spline seal.
At first I figured this was going to cause the clutch to slip but now after reading some posts I found that not to be an issue. Since some have driven many miles and years with this leak I decided to make a catch pan for the oil as I can't stand the sight of the dripping oil and the spot it will make every time I stop some place for a while. I dropped the crash guard and then cut and shaped the bottom of an anti freeze jug to fit around the engine extension and then lipped it behind the trans. Made it a tight fit and also put a rag in it and then reinstalled the belly guard which locks it in place tightly. Unless your a BMW rider you don't even know its there. I would like to see this bike roll over 100k before I part with it. Maybe an 08 or 09 LT in my future or possibly the 1600. But after close to 10yrs on this LT its of part of my soul and I've not wanted for any other bike.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Well as I posted earlier this week about my oil leak at the trans extension area and the consensus is that I have the blown spline seal.
At first I figured this was going to cause the clutch to slip but now after reading some posts I found that not to be an issue. Since some have driven many miles and years with this leak I decided to make a catch pan for the oil as I can't stand the sight of the dripping oil and the spot it will make every time I stop some place for a while. I dropped the crash guard and then cut and shaped the bottom of an anti freeze jug to fit around the engine extension and then lipped it behind the trans. Made it a tight fit and also put a rag in it and then reinstalled the belly guard which locks it in place tightly. Unless your a BMW rider you don't even know its there. I would like to see this bike roll over 100k before I part with it. Maybe an 08 or 09 LT in my future or possibly the 1600. But after close to 10yrs on this LT its of part of my soul and I've not wanted for any other bike.
Good luck with that. As mentioned by someone ( I think jzeller) in that other thread, it could be the rear main seal and that leaks out behind the clutch basket and not into it like the O-ring or the clutch slave cylinder leak.

If it is possibly the rear main seal and you are not going to immediately fix it, I would go ahead and drill the weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing to facilitate oil leaving that area. If enough accumulates, it can contaminate the clutch just like the other two failures. The weep hole will allow it to vacate better and you may be able to ride longer before needing to do the repair. This can be done without disassembling anything as long as the drill and bit fit under the bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping to buy a little time. Riding season is a month or two away yet and I'll get a few rides in here and there and see what happens. Thanks to all for their input and for that video of the repair. I also have the Clymers, just not the ambition yet.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I'm hoping to buy a little time. Riding season is a month or two away yet and I'll get a few rides in here and there and see what happens. Thanks to all for their input and for that video of the repair. I also have the Clymers, just not the ambition yet.
Drill the hole and you might just get that extra time. If it is the O-ring, all bets are off as that dumps inside the clutch basket. The attached pic shows a red dot about where it needs to be but it isn't critical. You should be able to find a point really close to that from underneath. Just don't keep going after you punch through and drill into your clutch ;) It doesn't have to be a large hole. 1/8 or 3/16, some drill larger but the larger it is, the more chance stuff will go in and not just come out. If you drill it, let us know if you get any quantity of oil out as i have heard it can hold something close to a pint.

Attachments

Reactions: bmwriderm

·
Registered
634 Posts
At first I figured this was going to cause the clutch to slip but now after reading some posts I found that not to be an issue. Since some have driven many miles and years with this leak I decided to make a catch pan for the oil as I can't stand the sight of the dripping oil and the spot it will make every time I stop some place for a while. I dropped the crash guard and then cut and shaped the bottom of an anti freeze jug to fit around the engine extension and then lipped it behind the trans. Made it a tight fit and also put a rag in it and then reinstalled the belly guard which locks it in place tightly. ..

. I would like to see this bike roll over 100k before I part with it. .

:wtf:

lazy mans fix????

I'd chose another word for it. :rolleyes:

If it works for YOU, then fine I guess...

But hopefully you have the decency to fix the problem before you sell it OR at least disclose the problem to any buyers.

If I bought a bike and got home and found something like that,
You would have a BIG problem.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you bought a bike with 100K miles on it and sold AS IS, you better expect to find problems like this and sometimes more.

You wouldn't do anything except spout off on some interwebs forum.

The seller would not have any BIG problems...
It is not the sellers fault you did not properly inspect the bike or get a mechanic to inspect the bike.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you bought a bike with 100K miles on it and sold AS IS, you better expect to find problems like this and sometimes more.

You wouldn't do anything except spout off on some interwebs forum.

The seller would not have any BIG problems...
It is not the sellers fault you did not properly inspect the bike or get a mechanic to inspect the bike.
Nice try Mike.

Troll elsewhere.

·
Registered
794 Posts

:wtf:

lazy mans fix????

I'd chose another word for it. :rolleyes:

If it works for YOU, then fine I guess...

But hopefully you have the decency to fix the problem before you sell it OR at least disclose the problem to any buyers.

If I bought a bike and got home and found something like that,
You would have a BIG problem.

Read the threats you just posted on a friendly BMW forum... King Troll.

What does it matter how he chooses to use his bike?
And who do you think you are flaming him for it?

Way to go keyboard commando.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sell it, no. I'm planning on riding it for a while yet. I drilled the weep hole and no oil ran out. I did put the stop leak in with the hope that it was the rear main seal. I put the heated gear on and have taken it on 2 drives and I have no oil getting by my fix which was very simple to do. I have not dropped the skid plate to see if I still have a leak or if the stop leak worked.
Clutch is fine so I'm going to ride on for now.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Sell it, no. I'm planning on riding it for a while yet. I drilled the weep hole and no oil ran out. I did put the stop leak in with the hope that it was the rear main seal. I put the heated gear on and have taken it on 2 drives and I have no oil getting by my fix which was very simple to do. I have not dropped the skid plate to see if I still have a leak or if the stop leak worked.
Clutch is fine so I'm going to ride on for now.
I am not sure if stop leak works on teflon seals or not. I did a little googling but didn't find anything conclusive. I know that it can turn regular seals into goo so be careful how much you put in.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I work at a Chrysler dealer and I know the Germans like there Teflon seals. I installed some Blue Devil stop leak. I can't see this hurting anything so I figured why not try it. I've done transmission and rear diff repairs for 27 years and have been shop foreman for last 4 years. The reason I'm trying this crap is I have 2 sore shoulders no drive to do this repair and as much as I like this LT I would like to wait until I have a clutch issue before I have to do the tear down.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I work at a Chrysler dealer and I know the Germans like there Teflon seals. I installed some Blue Devil stop leak. I can't see this hurting anything so I figured why not try it. I've done transmission and rear diff repairs for 27 years and have been shop foreman for last 4 years. The reason I'm trying this crap is I have 2 sore shoulders no drive to do this repair and as much as I like this LT I would like to wait until I have a clutch issue before I have to do the tear down.
Very understandable. Having said that, I just went in and did that job with no apparent issues because I didn't want to deal with it later, having no papers and not knowing if anything had ever been replaced was eating at me. Made a good winter project also.

I hope to have my LT for a long time and just didn't want to mess with those unknowns while being out somewhere on the highway. Unlike you, I have only had it for 3 years and knew nothing about any potential issues when I bought it. Yours is already leaking and you know it and that is fine. I hope the stop leak helps and if it doesn't, I hope your " lazy man's fix" at least keeps the oil off your rear tire even if it doesn't manage to keep it off your clutch. I went down once from a stupid over filling of a dry sump and the overflow was onto the rear tire. Brilliant!! I don't know if no oil coming out of the weep hole was a good sign or not. At least you know it isn't pooling up in the housing.

Keep us posted when you get to tackling the job and let us know what you find.

Go Mopar!

Reactions: bmwriderm
1 - 13 of 13 Posts