BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You might want to try an Air Hawk seat pad before cutting the stock seat up. If you get the chance to try it try it far a week or so to see if it makes you more comfortable.
Thanks for joining in bud. I don’t know if this would increase the ride height for me. Can’t afford to lose touch with the road with my little legs. I have a sheepskin here with the elasticated strips ready to sew on, just never got around to it. Don’t know if would help much though and won’t unless I actually get round to putting it on. Always seems there’s to much to do around the acreage. Still working on renovations and now falls arrived here in Canada got to start and clean up outside. Been busy laying a stone bed for a new/used shed. Hoping to get that puppy put together before the snow flies. No time and little energy to get to all the tasks on my list. Thanks for the suggestion bud. God bless.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hi Wazza, wasn’t ignoring you in any way by not replying. I’m glad the seat worked out for you. I have the seat at the low setting all the time as I would find it more difficult to flat foot at stops. As I age and shrink and lose muscle mass and weight it’s better for me to be lower on the bike to get more control. I also can get spasms in my hips sometimes just cocking my leg over the bike. Even walking can be painful after a while. Cor blimey mate I’m falling apart aren’t I. But still this winter I have to decide one way or another whether to keep this machine or look for something more manageable. I truly don’t want to become a problem on the road because my ego tells me you can handle her no problem. Thanks for the reply from down under and God bless mate. 🍻
And God bless to you too mate. Aging is something we all go through but it's also something we can work with. I started doing a little resistance work about 12 months ago and the difference it can make to how you feel is amazing. I'm 63 but I think I feel better today then when I was in my 40's. What I do for a living does keep me pretty active but adding some dumbbell workouts has been a real game changer for me. I'm not talking about hard slog at the gym. All I do is perhaps 20 minutes a day. I got covid last month and it did slow me down and I have lost a little condition but I'm working that back now. Just because we age doesn't mean we need to let ourselves go. Muscle mass can be maintained. It doesn't need to be much. We don't need to look like Arnie but we can do just enough to keep us standing up straight and enjoying what we want to enjoy, like riding motorcycles perhaps. I remember a couple of years ago I was riding out along a country road and was think about my Grandfather. When he was my age all I remember him doing was sitting in an arm chair, watching the cricket and burning holes in his white shirt with dropped cigarette ash. He retired and gave up on life. He got the life he chose but we can also get the life we want by choosing not to give up. If we work at staying a little limber we can still throw a leg over.
A motorcycle.;)

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
My wife and I walk about 5 miles a day each morning, then we do light weight training after we get home... so I can keep riding the beast, and she stays in shape. For me, losing an inch in height over the last five years, and weighing only 125-130 lbs. requires a bit of effort when rolling 850+ lbs. cross-country. A bonus is, my wife doesn't ride... and we are both happy about that! Cheers!

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT, 2003 K1200LT Hannigan Conversion Trike
133 Posts
I may take a look at the price of a conversion. The Spyder aren’t cheap but have nice lines and may have more luggage space. I originally bought the LT back in 2011 with the hopes of getting my better half on the back. But that never happened. The LT is more bike than I need really as I’m destined to ride solo. But my wife has hinted she wouldn’t mind trying out the Spyder. For me that’s a result. She’s retiring next year and so we could potentially have some good travels together. But that stock seat would need to go ASAP. The bike runs like a dream, only has 23500 kilometres on her. She’s passes slower traffic like it’s not there. When I checked the gps my fastest speed was 168klm per hour. So just over the ton, and she reached that no problem and was no way near reved out. But we’ll see what transpired over the winter. Thanks for replying. God bless bud. 🍻
My wife was absolutely against riding on two wheels. But when I bought the Hannigan converted LT she fell in love with motorcycling to where we do 6k - 10k rides each year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, and yes you are 100% spot on with not being a good a rider at the start compared to the end of a season. I try to tell myself to that I’m in control. Guess gravity doesn’t agree 😂 The seat still has to go though that’s a given. Before I retired I was longhaul truck driving so to sit for maybe 12 hours plus didn’t bother me. But these stock seats are something else. I know there’s answers to my seat problem out there and that will also be in my winter thought’s for the next season. Thanks for the reply. God bless bud.
get a Russell

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
My wife and I walk about 5 miles a day each morning, then we do light weight training after we get home... so I can keep riding the beast, and she stays in shape. For me, losing an inch in height over the last five years, and weighing only 125-130 lbs. requires a bit of effort when rolling 850+ lbs. cross-country. A bonus is, my wife doesn't ride... and we are both happy about that! Cheers!
Thats great you guys keeping in shape. Try as I might I’ve never been the same since my quad bypass back in 2009. Just last week I had to go and get heart checked again using nuclear medicine as I can’t do the treadmill tests anymore. Becoming a bit breathless again. Hoping it’s not the old pipes furring up again, they can’t do any more bypass surgery once you’ve already had it done once before. If needed only option is stents or balloons. If the pipes are good, then we start to look at the lungs. This is how I get tired quickly and jobs seem to take forever. But I keep plugging away and do what I can to the max. Keep up the regime, I’m envious. God bless.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
And God bless to you too mate. Aging is something we all go through but it's also something we can work with. I started doing a little resistance work about 12 months ago and the difference it can make to how you feel is amazing. I'm 63 but I think I feel better today then when I was in my 40's. What I do for a living does keep me pretty active but adding some dumbbell workouts has been a real game changer for me. I'm not talking about hard slog at the gym. All I do is perhaps 20 minutes a day. I got covid last month and it did slow me down and I have lost a little condition but I'm working that back now. Just because we age doesn't mean we need to let ourselves go. Muscle mass can be maintained. It doesn't need to be much. We don't need to look like Arnie but we can do just enough to keep us standing up straight and enjoying what we want to enjoy, like riding motorcycles perhaps. I remember a couple of years ago I was riding out along a country road and was think about my Grandfather. When he was my age all I remember him doing was sitting in an arm chair, watching the cricket and burning holes in his white shirt with dropped cigarette ash. He retired and gave up on life. He got the life he chose but we can also get the life we want by choosing not to give up. If we work at staying a little limber we can still throw a leg over.
A motorcycle.;)
It’s funny you should mention how our parents where like at our ages. My mum and dad always where old to me, and so was all the aunts and uncles and church friend. They had me late in life. The last of three brothers so I was brought up around old people. My dad finished work at 63 due to I’ll health. His daytime regime was dust and Hoover the home, then in and out all day to the greenhouse. On the night time he would walk the dog. That kept him semi active but once she passed away he lost all interest in walking and basically shut down waiting for God. He lasted till he was 84 but it wasn’t pleasant watching him go back. In comparison despite my heart problems it’s night and day. Maybe it’s a mindset. I still feel very youthful in my mind, I haven’t let the old man in yet. Maybe our parents generation where more serious about life. After all they had gone through WW2 and all the crap afterwards. Dad worked three shifts for over 35 years at the power plant. Everyday he walked to work and back whatever the weather. His evenings at times where cobbling his shoes as money was tight. Like many others of their day they had a tough life, women where creative with the available food etc. In hindsight we should have nothing to complain about really. Thanks for replying. God bless.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It’s funny you should mention how our parents where like at our ages. My mum and dad always where old to me, and so was all the aunts and uncles and church friend. They had me late in life. The last of three brothers so I was brought up around old people. My dad finished work at 63 due to I’ll health. His daytime regime was dust and Hoover the home, then in and out all day to the greenhouse. On the night time he would walk the dog. That kept him semi active but once she passed away he lost all interest in walking and basically shut down waiting for God. He lasted till he was 84 but it wasn’t pleasant watching him go back. In comparison despite my heart problems it’s night and day. Maybe it’s a mindset. I still feel very youthful in my mind, I haven’t let the old man in yet. Maybe our parents generation where more serious about life. After all they had gone through WW2 and all the crap afterwards. Dad worked three shifts for over 35 years at the power plant. Everyday he walked to work and back whatever the weather. His evenings at times where cobbling his shoes as money was tight. Like many others of their day they had a tough life, women where creative with the available food etc. In hindsight we should have nothing to complain about really. Thanks for replying. God bless.
Yes I think the post war generation had the benefit of better medical and diet and perhaps just a different mind set.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Motorcycling is a Sport. You really need to get a few rides in before going off on along tour. Blame the motorcycle if you want, but I think maybe your physical condition may be the problem that has to be worked on.
A little harsh, we all have our own conditions to deal with. Sometimes the biggest obstacle to overcome is the organ between our ears but none of us are a cooky cutter ideal of what a motorcycle rider should be. The important thing is that we want to keep riding, how we achieve that is an individual journey.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Monday gone was my first ride this year. Yes late I know, but have had other more pressing things to do and the bike took last place. I had done the usual servicing at Easter time then parked the girl. Anyways come Monday morning I rode the bike out onto my driveway. It’s sloped enough to roll off the side stand and the centre stand is also on the brink to do the same. So I put in reverse and begin to back up to a level area, turning the front wheel to direct my path when she takes a nap on her right side 🤬🤬🤬. After calling for supernatural help I’m able to get it back up. It was a struggle as the gas tank was full from end of last season. I finally caught me breath, readied myself and left at 9:30am. After an hour my butt is starting to ache 😣 I do the usual move dancing around to find a spot that didn’t hurt even standing for a while to get blood flow back. After a while it settled down and so I thought great now enjoy the ride. Sadly that didn’t happen. My round trip took me until 6:55pm in the evening to complete for a total 720 kilometres (448 miles) I ended this trip in complete agony, barely able to walk after dismountig in my garage. It’s taken until today to gain relief in my derrière and lower back. Shoulders where good after two days, knees also. The trip was absolute torture, for a flagship motorcycle BMW put zero money into seat design. Add to this the top heaviness, high maintenance and I’m starting to rethink ownership. At closing in on 69 years maybe a CanAm Spyder is the way to go. No worries holding this heavy pig up in slow traffic and parking lots, giving myself a hernia and needing an arse transplant from this ridiculous seat. Anyways that’s my tale guys, just needed to vent. Safe riding and God bless you all.
Hello from a 67 year old with a '22 RT.

Your mistress, the Bike, was jealous because of no attention from you. She was mad. More riding will cure this as motorcycles do not appreciate gifts of jewelry 🙃

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Wazza, wasn’t ignoring you in any way by not replying. I’m glad the seat worked out for you. I have the seat at the low setting all the time as I would find it more difficult to flat foot at stops. As I age and shrink and lose muscle mass and weight it’s better for me to be lower on the bike to get more control. I also can get spasms in my hips sometimes just cocking my leg over the bike. Even walking can be painful after a while. Cor blimey mate I’m falling apart aren’t I. But still this winter I have to decide one way or another whether to keep this machine or look for something more manageable. I truly don’t want to become a problem on the road because my ego tells me you can handle her no problem. Thanks for the reply from down under and God bless mate. 🍻
Been there, done that. I loved the LT above 10mph, with a Russell Day Long. For me, after my last parking lot fall-over, the answer was a lighter bike. 2 RTs later, both with Day Long saddles, and I'm still enjoying 2 wheels at 68.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I’m sure there’s more horror stories from other riders concerning these stock seats. Instruments of torture. The bike itself ran flawlessly all day. Only used two tanks of gas also. So that’s impressive at least to me it is. It may have been my fault also for not adjusting myself to the bike on shorter rides prior to taking this long one. But this riding season has somehow slipped by me. Have had made plans a number of times but something always came up to put a block on me getting out and about. This winter will see me having to bleed the brakes again, the battery is due also to be changed out. It’s an Odyssey 680 I believe the mode number is, AGM type. Bought back in 2011 and on a maintainer constantly. Never let me down and the bike starts by just showing it the key. Everything has been done to this girl so she’s a great buy for someone, also has the UniGo trailer with it and lots of extras. Sad thing is though the price I’d probably get for it isn’t going to be much. I’ll chew on it over the winter and see what the trike conversion will be mentioned in another comment, and put that against the cost of a Spyder Sea to Sky model. But if I should decide to keep her a few more years that seat is destined for the garbage. No way will I put myself in that situation again. Like you said, riding when so uncomfortable can make a person lose concentration and each mile keeps getting longer. Cheers 🍻 and God bless.
Monday gone was my first ride this year. Yes late I know, but have had other more pressing things to do and the bike took last place. I had done the usual servicing at Easter time then parked the girl. Anyways come Monday morning I rode the bike out onto my driveway. It’s sloped enough to roll off the side stand and the centre stand is also on the brink to do the same. So I put in reverse and begin to back up to a level area, turning the front wheel to direct my path when she takes a nap on her right side 🤬🤬🤬. After calling for supernatural help I’m able to get it back up. It was a struggle as the gas tank was full from end of last season. I finally caught me breath, readied myself and left at 9:30am. After an hour my butt is starting to ache 😣 I do the usual move dancing around to find a spot that didn’t hurt even standing for a while to get blood flow back. After a while it settled down and so I thought great now enjoy the ride. Sadly that didn’t happen. My round trip took me until 6:55pm in the evening to complete for a total 720 kilometres (448 miles) I ended this trip in complete agony, barely able to walk after dismountig in my garage. It’s taken until today to gain relief in my derrière and lower back. Shoulders where good after two days, knees also. The trip was absolute torture, for a flagship motorcycle BMW put zero money into seat design. Add to this the top heaviness, high maintenance and I’m starting to rethink ownership. At closing in on 69 years maybe a CanAm Spyder is the way to go. No worries holding this heavy pig up in slow traffic and parking lots, giving myself a hernia and needing an arse transplant from this ridiculous seat. Anyways that’s my tale guys, just needed to vent. Safe riding and God bless you all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is always trike conversion by Hannigan...... I absolutely love mine!
I will be 80 in april, i have been riding for 67 years ,no interruptions. I never get tired on my "2018 Grand America" . It is the finest motorcycle that i have ever owned. I started with a Cushman motor scooter,98 bikes later I still have a 2005 FJR 1300 {71,000} 1985 Yamaha V Max [50,000],and my BMW , I😊 put 6,000 mi on the BMW this year

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,113 Posts
Motorcycling is a Sport. You really need to get a few rides in before going off on along tour. Blame the motorcycle if you want, but I think maybe your physical condition may be the problem that has to be worked on.
Motorcycling is not a sport for many of us. For me it is transportation to get me from point A to point B & be outdoors while I'm doing it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hello from a 67 year old with a '22 RT.

Your mistress, the Bike, was jealous because of no attention from you. She was mad. More riding will cure this as motorcycles do not appreciate gifts of jewelry 🙃
That could very well be the case 😂 I’m sure I heard her say on a few occasions “when are we getting together again” She is well looked after, kept warm and well fed, oiled and greased up always ready to go. But the other mistresses in my life this summer have been more demanding. So yes she was feeling spurned 😡 I’m hoping to get a few more local rides in before the white stuff arrives. My registration expires the end of October, but here in Alberta the weather can turn on a dime and a month could be lost quite easily. Thanks for the reply God bless.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
There’s lots of replies here all with good advice and options to consider. For me motorcycling isn’t a sport, I look at it as mental therapy it’s the escape from everyday life and it’s problems. I never ever use the radio, the view and the sound of the engine and the freedom of being on the outside is what gives me a buzz. To feel the warmth and the cold parts of the roads, the smells of farm lands and the wind. The feeling of accelerating and high speed etc etc. We all age differently, some better than others, perhaps that’s down to genes or how we looked after ourselves when younger, who knows, life can be a crap shoot. I’m fitter than some people younger than me, and not so fit as others older than me. We all have our good and bad points health wise. I’m thankful that I’m still as mobile as I am. The bike has been used as my daily transport in the past, but mainly it’s been for pleasure. The LT has been the best bike I’ve ever owned, in hindsight I wished I could have had one sooner. But I guess I had to wait until such times the cost to purchase one was more aligned with what my income could afford without getting into debt. I have looked at the newer inline sixes of the brand. The bagger and the grand America does appeal to me. But like the LT pricing was during its production years out of my reach, so are the 6 cyclinder BMW’s currently available. Add to the fact the short riding season and the low mileage I do, they can’t be considered a viable option for me. Over this winter I will take into consideration all options available to me that my budget can afford. Then come next spring, I’ll evaluate my health and what I can and cannot do. Plus as my dear wife will be retiring I will need to consider her wants and needs regarding moving over to a three wheel option. We can never truly know what’s around the corner, and so I tend not to get ahead of myself if I can help it. Plan yes, by all means, but never take for granted that’s how life will play out. Please accept, each and every one of you who have taken the time to respond, my sincerest thanks and gratitude. You all are wonderful people who I’m never ever going to meet on this side of the veil, and that makes me sad. On a side note, I have noticed from the menu showing all the models and subjects this forum is for, the K1200LT forum is THE most highly used one with new comments daily. That is proof the LT’s and their owners are still a formidable motorcycle force. I hope it will continue for many many more years. BMW missed an opportunity back in 2009 discontinuing this model. With some modifications and the use of the six cylinder engine this bike would be a complete world beater. Thanks again and God bless each and everyone of you and you’re families forever.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
Motorcycling isn’t a sport for me. It is adventuresome transportation to interesting places. Yes, it does take more conditioning to ride a bike than drive a car, but not really much more. Physical condition matters and should not be ignored, but the reality is that motorcycles come in a wide range of comfort levels and this is a huge factor in long distance riding. My RDL seat made a huge difference as does the electrically adjustable windshield. My KLR is FAR less comfortable than my LT. There is almost no way I could get in good enough shape at age 62 to allow me to ride 500 mile days on my KLR, whereas, this isn’t a huge deal on the LT.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts