BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday gone was my first ride this year. Yes late I know, but have had other more pressing things to do and the bike took last place. I had done the usual servicing at Easter time then parked the girl. Anyways come Monday morning I rode the bike out onto my driveway. It鈥檚 sloped enough to roll off the side stand and the centre stand is also on the brink to do the same. So I put in reverse and begin to back up to a level area, turning the front wheel to direct my path when she takes a nap on her right side 馃が馃が馃が. After calling for supernatural help I鈥檓 able to get it back up. It was a struggle as the gas tank was full from end of last season. I finally caught me breath, readied myself and left at 9:30am. After an hour my butt is starting to ache 馃槪 I do the usual move dancing around to find a spot that didn鈥檛 hurt even standing for a while to get blood flow back. After a while it settled down and so I thought great now enjoy the ride. Sadly that didn鈥檛 happen. My round trip took me until 6:55pm in the evening to complete for a total 720 kilometres (448 miles) I ended this trip in complete agony, barely able to walk after dismountig in my garage. It鈥檚 taken until today to gain relief in my derri猫re and lower back. Shoulders where good after two days, knees also. The trip was absolute torture, for a flagship motorcycle BMW put zero money into seat design. Add to this the top heaviness, high maintenance and I鈥檓 starting to rethink ownership. At closing in on 69 years maybe a CanAm Spyder is the way to go. No worries holding this heavy pig up in slow traffic and parking lots, giving myself a hernia and needing an arse transplant from this ridiculous seat. Anyways that鈥檚 my tale guys, just needed to vent. Safe riding and God bless you all.

Registered
2009 R1200RT, 2003 K1200LT Hannigan Conversion Trike
Monday gone was my first ride this year. Yes late I know, but have had other more pressing things to do and the bike took last place. I had done the usual servicing at Easter time then parked the girl. Anyways come Monday morning I rode the bike out onto my driveway. It鈥檚 sloped enough to roll off the side stand and the centre stand is also on the brink to do the same. So I put in reverse and begin to back up to a level area, turning the front wheel to direct my path when she takes a nap on her right side 馃が馃が馃が. After calling for supernatural help I鈥檓 able to get it back up. It was a struggle as the gas tank was full from end of last season. I finally caught me breath, readied myself and left at 9:30am. After an hour my butt is starting to ache 馃槪 I do the usual move dancing around to find a spot that didn鈥檛 hurt even standing for a while to get blood flow back. After a while it settled down and so I thought great now enjoy the ride. Sadly that didn鈥檛 happen. My round trip took me until 6:55pm in the evening to complete for a total 720 kilometres (448 miles) I ended this trip in complete agony, barely able to walk after dismountig in my garage. It鈥檚 taken until today to gain relief in my derri猫re and lower back. Shoulders where good after two days, knees also. The trip was absolute torture, for a flagship motorcycle BMW put zero money into seat design. Add to this the top heaviness, high maintenance and I鈥檓 starting to rethink ownership. At closing in on 69 years maybe a CanAm Spyder is the way to go. No worries holding this heavy pig up in slow traffic and parking lots, giving myself a hernia and needing an arse transplant from this ridiculous seat. Anyways that鈥檚 my tale guys, just needed to vent. Safe riding and God bless you all.
There is always trike conversion by Hannigan...... I absolutely love mine!

Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
No laughter here. In 2000 I rode a 1997 Kawaski Vulcan to Sturgis and back in the same day. About 450 miles round trip. This was the first long distance trip I'd been on with this bike. When I arrived in Sturgis, I knew the trip home was going to be difficult because my body was really aching. I managed the trip home with difficulty, even after making multiple stops to rest. Must have sat on a nerve or something because my ass was numb for two days. No joking. About the time I was considering a visit to the doctor I started to get feeling back.

I traded in that bike for a sport tourer the very next week. I still do not miss that bike.

Glad you made it home "safe". It's hard to concentrate when you're uncomfortable or in pain.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is always trike conversion by Hannigan...... I absolutely love mine!
I may take a look at the price of a conversion. The Spyder aren鈥檛 cheap but have nice lines and may have more luggage space. I originally bought the LT back in 2011 with the hopes of getting my better half on the back. But that never happened. The LT is more bike than I need really as I鈥檓 destined to ride solo. But my wife has hinted she wouldn鈥檛 mind trying out the Spyder. For me that鈥檚 a result. She鈥檚 retiring next year and so we could potentially have some good travels together. But that stock seat would need to go ASAP. The bike runs like a dream, only has 23500 kilometres on her. She鈥檚 passes slower traffic like it鈥檚 not there. When I checked the gps my fastest speed was 168klm per hour. So just over the ton, and she reached that no problem and was no way near reved out. But we鈥檒l see what transpired over the winter. Thanks for replying. God bless bud. 馃嵒

Reactions: CaliCruiser

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No laughter here. In 2000 I rode a 1997 Kawaski Vulcan to Sturgis and back in the same day. About 450 miles round trip. This was the first long distance trip I'd been on with this bike. When I arrived in Sturgis, I knew the trip home was going to be difficult because my body was really aching. I managed the trip home with difficulty, even after making multiple stops to rest. Must have sat on a nerve or something because my ass was numb for two days. No joking. About the time I was considering a visit to the doctor I started to get feeling back.

I traded in that bike for a sport tourer the very next week. I still do not miss that bike.

Glad you made it home "safe". It's hard to concentrate when you're uncomfortable or in pain.
Thanks for the reply, I鈥檓 sure there鈥檚 more horror stories from other riders concerning these stock seats. Instruments of torture. The bike itself ran flawlessly all day. Only used two tanks of gas also. So that鈥檚 impressive at least to me it is. It may have been my fault also for not adjusting myself to the bike on shorter rides prior to taking this long one. But this riding season has somehow slipped by me. Have had made plans a number of times but something always came up to put a block on me getting out and about. This winter will see me having to bleed the brakes again, the battery is due also to be changed out. It鈥檚 an Odyssey 680 I believe the mode number is, AGM type. Bought back in 2011 and on a maintainer constantly. Never let me down and the bike starts by just showing it the key. Everything has been done to this girl so she鈥檚 a great buy for someone, also has the UniGo trailer with it and lots of extras. Sad thing is though the price I鈥檇 probably get for it isn鈥檛 going to be much. I鈥檒l chew on it over the winter and see what the trike conversion will be mentioned in another comment, and put that against the cost of a Spyder Sea to Sky model. But if I should decide to keep her a few more years that seat is destined for the garbage. No way will I put myself in that situation again. Like you said, riding when so uncomfortable can make a person lose concentration and each mile keeps getting longer. Cheers 馃嵒 and God bless.

Registered
Way too many miles for the first ride or in case of advanced age any ride. I used to think nothing of 500 or 600 miles in a day and if pushed 900. But now 300 is just right. Quit early, have a nap, then visit with fellow riders. Don't slam yourself for getting older. Just adapt and continue. My fellow riders are now planning rides that are fun but not as long. Meet up at designated motels and continue. I only enjoy 3 maybe 4 days on the road at a time. Used to go ten days or a couple of weeks, no more.
Then there is the issue of breaking in for the fresh riding season. You are not going to be as good a rider the first few weeks as the last few weeks. At the end of the season, I ride well and enjoy it. Practice makes perfect.

Registered
K1200LT 2005
When I was 21 I rode a Honda CB175 from Michigan to Los Angeles--my ten day great adventure. Slept 24 hours once I arrived. Now that I'm a bit older, though I've ridden most every day since, I find I'm less comfortable on long rides--three hours or longer. I attribute that more to me than to my bike. :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Way too many miles for the first ride or in case of advanced age any ride. I used to think nothing of 500 or 600 miles in a day and if pushed 900. But now 300 is just right. Quit early, have a nap, then visit with fellow riders. Don't slam yourself for getting older. Just adapt and continue. My fellow riders are now planning rides that are fun but not as long. Meet up at designated motels and continue. I only enjoy 3 maybe 4 days on the road at a time. Used to go ten days or a couple of weeks, no more.
Then there is the issue of breaking in for the fresh riding season. You are not going to be as good a rider the first few weeks as the last few weeks. At the end of the season, I ride well and enjoy it. Practice makes perfect.
Thanks for the encouragement, and yes you are 100% spot on with not being a good a rider at the start compared to the end of a season. I try to tell myself to that I鈥檓 in control. Guess gravity doesn鈥檛 agree 馃槀 The seat still has to go though that鈥檚 a given. Before I retired I was longhaul truck driving so to sit for maybe 12 hours plus didn鈥檛 bother me. But these stock seats are something else. I know there鈥檚 answers to my seat problem out there and that will also be in my winter thought鈥檚 for the next season. Thanks for the reply. God bless bud.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was 21 I rode a Honda CB175 from Michigan to Los Angeles--my ten day great adventure. Slept 24 hours once I arrived. Now that I'm a bit older, though I've ridden most every day since, I find I'm less comfortable on long rides--three hours or longer. I attribute that more to me than to my bike. :cool:
I can see the sleeping for 24 hours could be necessary. That a long way to go without a lay over. I found also on this first trip the wind wore me down a lot. Eyes started to dry out and mouth dried also, I felt drained and It became a chore towards the end, I just wanted it to be over. Kept asking myself WHY DID I DO THIS. At least it鈥檚 behind me now, and one to chalk up to experience never to do again. Trouble with Canada is there鈥檚 nothing that close, roads are to straight and unless on a highway it takes a lifetime to get anywhere. My birth country (UK) offers great twistie roads and places of interest nicely close to each other. So the rides where more enjoyable and easily completed in a day including rest stops. North American continent not so. But I guess a small island has its merits and many faults like overcrowding. Thanks for replying bud. God bless.

Premium Member
I may take a look at the price of a conversion. The Spyder aren鈥檛 cheap but have nice lines and may have more luggage space. I originally bought the LT back in 2011 with the hopes of getting my better half on the back. But that never happened. The LT is more bike than I need really as I鈥檓 destined to ride solo. But my wife has hinted she wouldn鈥檛 mind trying out the Spyder. For me that鈥檚 a result. She鈥檚 retiring next year and so we could potentially have some good travels together. But that stock seat would need to go ASAP. The bike runs like a dream, only has 23500 kilometres on her. She鈥檚 passes slower traffic like it鈥檚 not there. When I checked the gps my fastest speed was 168klm per hour. So just over the ton, and she reached that no problem and was no way near reved out. But we鈥檒l see what transpired over the winter. Thanks for replying. God bless bud. 馃嵒
I鈥檝e never regretted converting my 2006 KLT to a Hannigan trike in 2012. It鈥檚 a joy to ride and the wife continues to accompany me always. I didn鈥檛 care for the Spyder, there鈥檚 too much structure up front but that鈥檚 a personal opinion. I鈥檓 just shy of 70 with her being a few years younger. But, there are also certain characteristics of a trike conversion you might want to bear in mind. On the highway, its plain bliss for me sometimes even forgetting there are 3 wheels on the tarmac. Gradual curves are also a breeze to navigate. But on any kind of twisties you鈥檙e gonna work those arms and shoulders! I still have to take a break after 5-6 hours of continuous highway riding even with a reworked seat. Also, with the limited BMW dealer network it鈥檚 already challenging enough to get service or repair work done without traveling a thousand miles, (exaggerated)! As a trike its damn near impossible for any kind of service. I鈥檓 lucky enough to be in fairly good shape which allows me to continue doing my own work, so far! Good luck with whatever decision you make鈥︹.

Registered
I have always found the standard seat on my 05 KLT to be very comfortable. The only time I had a problem with it was when I tried to ride long distances with the seat at it's low setting. My hips would cramp up quite badly. The moment I raised the seat that discomfort went away. I came off a 5 hour ride a while back feeling fresh. I do use it at the low setting around town for a little better reach for my feet but when I hit the highway I just put the seat up.

Premium Member
Since I have a 30" inseam, I cut most of the padding out of my seat and cut the sides down about an 1" off each side.
I added a sheepskin cover and I generally ride for 2 hours, take a 15-20 minute break to snack and drink water... and continue that for 500 miles each day (usually a ten hour day in and out of the saddle).
Pivotpegz and J-Pegs help a lot!
At 66 it works for me.

Registered
No laughing here either but sounds like it's time to purchase a much lighter bike.

Registered
I rode my 2000LT with stock seat for over 223,000 miles. For some reason, the seat 'fit' me and I never looked back. I know with my 29-30" inseam I couldn't do a Day long, so settled in. I sold the bike a year ago, and moved to a 2019 RT. It's much easier for me to manage as I get a bit older, and while I'm learning to love it, I still long for the ride of the LT.

Premium Member
My round trip took me until 6:55pm in the evening to complete for a total 720 kilometres (448 miles) I ended this trip in complete agony, barely able to walk after dismountig in my garage.
After not riding for a spell, I can't do that many miles in the first ride. My old bones don't like it either. I need to work up to longer trips.

One of our friends sends us texts about her running. She is working up to running a marathon. She wrote that she had ran twenty miles Saturday morning. I said, "I ran to the bathroom the other day." I got no reply...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No laughing here either but sounds like it's time to purchase a much lighter bike.
I鈥檓 leaning that way to, to be concerned the bike could get the better of me spoils the fun. It鈥檚 only this year I鈥檝e felt this way regarding the weight. Riding through downtown Calgary on that trip was nerve racking. Cage drivers weaving in and out cutting you off. Others tailgating me, and add to that a strange place doesn鈥檛 add up to having a good time. I was using my Zumo GPS but it was lagging in comparison to my actual position for some reason. Oh well such is life. Thanks for the reply. God bless.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After not riding for a spell, I can't do that many miles in the first ride. My old bones don't like it either. I need to work up to longer trips.

One of our friends sends us texts about her running. She is working up to running a marathon. She wrote that she had ran twenty miles Saturday morning. I said, "I ran to the bathroom the other day." I got no reply...
My problem is I still feel 18 between the ears, never really giving any thought to age and health. But when reality bites it hurts. Thanks for the reply bud. God bless.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rode my 2000LT with stock seat for over 223,000 miles. For some reason, the seat 'fit' me and I never looked back. I know with my 29-30" inseam I couldn't do a Day long, so settled in. I sold the bike a year ago, and moved to a 2019 RT. It's much easier for me to manage as I get a bit older, and while I'm learning to love it, I still long for the ride of the LT.
Sounds like we have very similar inside leg measurements. I always feel my body weight concentrated on those two pointy bones in my butt. The back of my leg never seems to take any of the weight. I have been thinking since to sit on some memory foam for an imprint and quickly transfer that to the stock seat, mark it and remove the cover and dig holes in those areas so I sit more evenly, spreading out my weight. This will be a winter project. If I ruin the seat I鈥檒l just get it refurbished somewhere in Edmonton and then start looking for another ride. I could end up back at square one with the seat on a replacement machine though and that鈥檚 a concern. Not forgetting other possible mechanical problems that I鈥檝e already remedied on the LT. Thanks for the reply. God bless.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have always found the standard seat on my 05 KLT to be very comfortable. The only time I had a problem with it was when I tried to ride long distances with the seat at it's low setting. My hips would cramp up quite badly. The moment I raised the seat that discomfort went away. I came off a 5 hour ride a while back feeling fresh. I do use it at the low setting around town for a little better reach for my feet but when I hit the highway I just put the seat up.
Hi Wazza, wasn鈥檛 ignoring you in any way by not replying. I鈥檓 glad the seat worked out for you. I have the seat at the low setting all the time as I would find it more difficult to flat foot at stops. As I age and shrink and lose muscle mass and weight it鈥檚 better for me to be lower on the bike to get more control. I also can get spasms in my hips sometimes just cocking my leg over the bike. Even walking can be painful after a while. Cor blimey mate I鈥檓 falling apart aren鈥檛 I. But still this winter I have to decide one way or another whether to keep this machine or look for something more manageable. I truly don鈥檛 want to become a problem on the road because my ego tells me you can handle her no problem. Thanks for the reply from down under and God bless mate. 馃嵒

1 - 20 of 49 Posts