BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am going to do a round trip from VT. To Seattle next year, coved willing.
What is the latest date to head east? I will probably go west on the quickest route(90) and come east taking my time and seeing some of the splendor the northwest has to offer. Not sure how quick the weather changes in the northwest

·
Registered
34 Posts
This week Denver 94 on day and snow the next. that's a quick change
Good point, but I would have ridden my bike today but I changed tires and haven't installed the wheel again. Will take care of that tomorrow. Make sure you bring some colder weather gear. And in the HIGH country, snow can occur in July, but it rarely sticks that time of year. Bear Tooth Pass is a great choice to enter or leave Yellowstone Park on the NorthEast corner, but it's prone to abrupt closures due to snow. We went in late June and it got down to 40 degrees with snow along side the road, but it was sunny and clear for us. We talked with some who had crossed it in the drizzle and fog and low 40s and were miserable. The beautiful high mountain passes are all like that. Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite. They are best ridden in July or August, but at the same time, you have 90s and 100s at lower altitudes. No riding gear works in both places, but a heavier rain suit can help with lighter protective gear. Heated hand grips can help with spring gloves in the colder stuff and those are too heavy for the hot stuff. You don't have to hit the high country, but it sure is tempting and some of that is country you can't see any where else. It's hard to go through Colorado without hitting the high country. My first holiday weekend involved going down to Mesa Verde. I was planning on camping at Silverton which is about 10,000 feet and a conversation with my wife involved the question of the snow that was coming on Memorial day weekend to the high country. So I rode past Silverton and camped at Ouray only to wake up at 1 AM when the tent collapsed on me from the 3 inches of wet snow. I put the tent back up and about once an hour knocked the snow off the sides. In the morning the CB550 I was riding had snow on the outer two air filters, so it started on only the inner cylinders and after about 5 minutes was running good enough to leave. This is life in Colorado and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts