BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
AntRT said:
This CANBUS power cable will power any GPS like a Zumo 600?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1759/PN-065-0282/CANbus-power-cable-GPS-60-76-176-V-SP-SPIII

How would this work if the Zumo is 5v and the auxiliary socket under the nose cone is 12v Most important do I even know what the hell I'm talking about? :p

Get the BMW "repair plug", part # 83300413585 at a dealer. It plugs straight into the GPS socket. It is a plug with three wires. The wires have VERY TINY numbers 1,2 & 3 written on them. #1 is ground (-), #2 is autospeed/volume and will only do anything if you're using a BMW GPS. Otherwise cut/tie it off. #3 is 12v power (+).

Splice the wires into a power cable for your GPS with the adapter to step down to 5 Volts and it will have power whenever the bike is turned on. The CanBus keeps the GPS powered on for approximately a minute after you turn the ignition off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
All your power supplies on the bike are going to be 12 volt, use the Zumo cables supplied and the voltage will be regulated by the built in transformer and will reduce power to the required voltage. You can tap into almost any wires that supply power with ignition on, lights are an easy one...otherwise find the above mentioned "repair plug", there's also a plug intended for a second horn which is taped to the left horizontal cross brace under the front fairing, Remove left mirror and look down, you'll see it taped up to the support.

If all else fails just wire directly to the battery and use the on/off button on the Zumo.

r
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
AntRT said:
How would this work if the Zumo is 5v and the auxiliary socket under the nose cone is 12v Most important do I even know what the hell I'm talking about? :p
Whoa buddy... lets slow down a little.

Before you splice into just any wire you run across, or before you spend that money on the Touratech set-up etc. Lets get some things straight...

The bike's 12 volts will be converted to the Garmins voltage automatically. Do not worry about this.

There is no "socket" under the front panel of the RT if you are thinking of a cigarette-plug socket.. There there is a plastic plug designed to be the factory BMW GPS II power source. You can buy the "maintenance plug set-up or you can tap the wires to that plug... if you are careful to get the positive to the positive and ground to ground.

If you are not familiar with these polarity concepts I urge you to avoid tapping. cutting, plugging etc. If you do not know how to determine this I suggest you let someone who is familiar show you.

This link will take you to the zumo forums page where I show the mounting, and other posters show how and where the plug is... you may have to join the forum but there is no cost.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2798.msg22843
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hopz said:
Whoa buddy... lets slow down a little.

Before you splice into just any wire you run across, or before you spend that money on the Touratech set-up etc. Lets get some things straight...

The bike's 12 volts will be converted to the Garmins voltage automatically. Do not worry about this.

There is no "socket" under the front panel of the RT if you are thinking of a cigarette-plug socket.. There there is a plastic plug designed to be the factory BMW GPS II power source. You can buy the "maintenance plug set-up or you can tap the wires to that plug... if you are careful to get the positive to the positive and ground to ground.

If you are not familiar with these polarity concepts I urge you to avoid tapping. cutting, plugging etc. If you do not know how to determine this I suggest you let someone who is familiar show you.

This link will take you to the zumo forums page where I show the mounting, and other posters show how and where the plug is... you may have to join the forum but there is no cost.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2798.msg22843

Still learning the lingo, I was referring to the plastic plug for the factory GPS. I have zero plan to do any splicing or cutting which is why I wondered if the plug I linked in my first post would work to power any GPS.

Glad to learn the Garmin does the converting to 5v, thanks for that!

Here's my mental dilema: Everytime I get close to pulling the trigger on the BMW Nav I cringe at the price and then start piecing out a cheaper alternatives but then go back to the simplicity of the plug n play of the Nav. Etc. I guess ther are worse dilemas a guy could be in eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
I too could not pull the trigger for the BMW Nav IV so I opted for a Garmin 660.

I have an '09 RT so I bought the corresponding Wunderlich dash mount, the connector cable that OttawaJim is recommending and then located the BMW connector on the front fork.

Very easy to hook up and working flawlessly. With the dash mount I have no interference from my BMW tank bag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noRThwind said:
I too could not pull the trigger for the BMW Nav IV so I opted for a Garmin 660.

I have an '09 RT so I bought the corresponding Wunderlich dash mount, the connector cable that OttawaJim is recommending and then located the BMW connector on the front fork.

Very easy to hook up and working flawlessly. With the dash mount I have no interference from my BMW tank bag.
This mount?
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8600887-888.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
I have the Wunderlich GPS mount, and it works great. Takes a bit of time to mount it, but otherwise it is a great addition to the bike, and a very solid mount for my Garmin 478 which is heavier than the Zumo. I did have to modify the mount a bit to take the Ram mount adapter by drilling a couple of extra holes to match the Wunderlich mounting plate.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
The advise you got here is all good.

This is what I have done on my 2010 RT...
I got the Zumo 660 mounted on a Wunderlich mount that is over the speedo/RPM gauges and connected to a FuzeBlock with a switched connection.

I have a number of other things connected to the FuzeBlock so that purchase is worthwhile for me. In addition, having switched power gives me the option to either leave the GPS on or switch it off (default mode is that it goes off in about 30 seconds or so). On short stops - something less than an hour - I normally leave the GPS on. If the bike is not running the GPS is running on its own built-in battery.

Notes:
1 - If you wire the GPS directly to the battery you will have to turn it off or disconnect it manually.
2 - I read somewhere that the GPS plug at the steering head has a delay off function. If that is the case you will not have the option to leave the GPS on until that plug power is dropped. I don't want to wait for this to happen. Someone can correct me on this since I never tested the plug power myself. I could be wrong. That is also the issue with using BMW plug power.
3 - You have a number of options for GPS audio out. Some say you don't need it - I like to have it (it's rather non intrusive unless it wants you to make a U turn!).

There's more detail in my blog if you care ot read it... this is already too long. :wave

tsp
Bike Blog: blog
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
tsperez said:
Notes:

2 - I read somewhere that the GPS plug at the steering head has a delay off function.
:wave
The "plug" under the headstock is CANBUS controlled, thus it remains "hot" for approximately 30 seconds after bike shutdown.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top