BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would share this on a recent civil case that ended this week. It is about a group ride that ended in one death and three injuries. One very serious, lost of limb.

It starts on a long stretch of roadway. Clear day. 5 motorcycles, 2 on trike. Lead rider is in the left front the rest are staggered behind. The trikes are in the center behind each other.

In the area of the collision there was bicyclist on the opposite shoulder. There were two vehicles approaching the bicyclist. The lead motorcyclist does not see the bicyclist, however stated she saw the cars 3/4 miles away approaching.

As vehicles and motorcycle approach the bicyclist one vehicle starts to move towards the dotted line. Lead riders keeps her ground, does not move. Second vehicle cross the dotted line and strikes the lead motorcycle and causes a chain reaction.

Lead rider stated she has a right to be in that lane and does not have to move over.

Case in point you can be "Dead Right".

Nice video by MSF on group riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erpkyD7SMfw

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Great point John! Another way to put it is "Right of Way" can equal "Dead of Way"! Hard headed is not the way to be on a Bike. Sure we are entitled to the lane, but it ain't worth dying for! You need to watch the whole road ahead of you and learn to anticipate what the other drivers are going to do.

John

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
How stupid! ... and tragic! :( If I even THINK that an oncoming car is getting too close to the centerline I move over. It's just common sense, isn't it?!?! :confused:

And just another reminder of why I don't group ride.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should have heard the whole testimony, you would be amazed............

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
And just another reminder of why I don't group ride.
I agree very stupid. Ths is why I only group ride with a few people that I know are good riders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts