BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
BsquareWI said:
Seriously, if you are going shell out that much for training wheels, just get a smaller bike...
It's cheaper than a trike or sidecar rig. Looks like an interesting alternative to triking the bike or adding a sidecar.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Folding stairs

Now all we need are folding stairs so the vertically challenged can mount up!

Looking at the BMW frame, it just seems "plausible" they could provide a lower seat position without giving us a 2x4 to sit on...

·
Registered
167 Posts
BsquareWI said:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/4814/

Seriously, if you are going shell out that much for training wheels, just get a smaller bike...
Really? Seriously? Let's see. I'm going on a four hundred mile trip and it would be better to have a 750cc motorcycle than a GoldWing or LT with "training wheels"? Uh, duh, NO! No on so many levels including comfort, weather protection, sound system (iPod), well, every reason why you bought an LT in the first place.

I don't need something like this ... yet. But if I ever have to choose between triking, a side car, a smaller motorcycle, or "training wheels" I will definitely be choose the latter. Why? Because it will still turn like a motorcycle which is 98% of why I ride motorcycles as compared to driving a car.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
cfell said:
Looking at the BMW frame, it just seems "plausible" they could provide a lower seat position without giving us a 2x4 to sit on...
Here's your

Your choice.
;) :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez folks take it easy. Sorry for the (apparently poor) attempt at a joke. It was just a way of pointing out there are a little pricey. And funny looking. Definitely funny looking.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi,

I saw a program on TV a while back where a guy who had been paralysed in a road accident from the waist down had wheels similar to those shown. As he pulled away and got up to 10 mph the wheels would lift off the ground. As he slowed down they would deploy again to hold the bike up.

Looks like what has been done to the LT in your picture.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I think that's pretty darned clever, and I could think of more than a few times when I've been fully loaded with Momma, the poodle and a near 250 lb. trailer when those bad boys would come in REAL handy. And I ain't no wussy boy.

All you would need to complete the scenario is the sound of a turbine engine spooling down - blazing over the speakers - as you come to a stop. ;)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I think that's pretty darned clever, and I could think of more than a few times when I've been fully loaded with Momma, the poodle and a near 250 lb. trailer when those bad boys would come in REAL handy. And I ain't no wussy boy.

All you would need to complete the scenario is the sound of a turbine engine spooling down - blazing over the speakers - as you come to a stop. ;)
You ain't no wussy boy???? Hmmmm, just the fact Ron. BTW, since we are both (you more so than I) inventors, I always thought that some MP3 device that plugged into the AUX and perhaps had its own amplifier, etc with varying sounds:
e.g. 1998 Fat Boy/HD with Two Bros. pipes WAV file.
GE Diesel locomotive
F18 at take-off
etc. etc.
And, some control to simulate the doppler effect(s) of the noise. Now there's a farkle!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Steve, was that my "cake"? haha.. thanks!

Sorry if I seemed to "smart off".. I was just thinking BMW could lower the seat level for some folks. At 6' 2" I stand flat-footed over the LT, yet it would be great to have an adequate seat... I know, quit whinin'...

The idea of the "wheels" seems a good one for folks who need the extra reach.. When I think of situations where you still might "high center" or get off kilter coming in and out of driveways and such, it just makes me pucker all the more.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
It's not cake

cfell said:
Steve, was that my "cake"? haha.. thanks!

Sorry if I seemed to "smart off".. I was just thinking BMW could lower the seat level for some folks. At 6' 2" I stand flat-footed over the LT, yet it would be great to have an adequate seat... I know, quit whinin'...

The idea of the "wheels" seems a good one for folks who need the extra reach.. When I think of situations where you still might "high center" or get off kilter coming in and out of driveways and such, it just makes me pucker all the more.
Hey Channing,

Just pulling your leg a little with the plate of cheeses. "The devil made me do it and all." You need to show up next time, we get Dick up for dinner from Boerne when jackd and I come to Austin in the spring.

Ride safe and keep the pucker factors to a minimum. ;)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I always thought that some MP3 device that plugged into the AUX and perhaps had its own amplifier, etc with varying sounds:
e.g. 1998 Fat Boy/HD with Two Bros. pipes WAV file.
GE Diesel locomotive
F18 at take-off
etc. etc.
And, some control to simulate the doppler effect(s) of the noise. Now there's a farkle!

Potato, potato, potato, potato. If you build it John, they will come! ;)

(how about the sound of my 1972 Kawasaki 500 triple two stroke for my LT - heck I've already got the blue smoke part down!)

·
Registered
241 Posts
myk_edwards said:
Hi,

I saw a program on TV a while back where a guy who had been paralysed in a road accident from the waist down had wheels similar to those shown. As he pulled away and got up to 10 mph the wheels would lift off the ground. As he slowed down they would deploy again to hold the bike up.

I saw a Wing with something like this installed on pull up to a red light one time a few years ago. As the bike slowed to a stop a pair of small wheels came down from under the bike to hold it up while stopped. As he took off, the wheels folded back up. Looks like that idea is still out there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The ONLY thing that is 'suitable' for the KLT is the sound of a Jet Engine ! ! ! !

Think about it !

The sound of a LARGE Jet Engine spooling up when you key the starter then, settling down to an idleing sound UNTIL you kick it into gear and pull away. Then the sound really cranks up to an afterburner blast when you stomp on it.

As you slow down, the whine subsides to an idleing sound as you come to a stop and, upon shut down, the you hear the PROLONGED sound of a Jet Engine spooling down to a stop.

If someone builds it, they will come and, I'll be 1st. in line. Just let me know where to send the check !

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
For us "short" guys, the training wheels are a great idea, but as long as I can man-handle the bike I will defer on the wheels!

As stated earleir, I would pick the training wheels over the trike and sidecar. But, you can't carry extra stuff like you could if you had a trike or a sidecar! Let me re-think this, the older you get the need to carry more stuff is vital. Between the drugs, walker, breathing machine, diapers and the such, maybe the trike isn't a bad choice after all!

·
Registered
362 Posts
A few years back I was at a swap meet and this wing rode in with a elderly gentle and his wife on it. As he slowed the wheels came down. They dismounted and someone said why don't you just ride a trike? The old guy turned and said trikes aren't motorcycles and I like riding motorcycles. He had had a stroke a few years back and couldn't hold the bike up. At 78 he says if you can't ride a motorcycle why ride. Nice guy.

Bill

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
BsquareWI said:
Geez folks take it easy. Sorry for the (apparently poor) attempt at a joke. It was just a way of pointing out there are a little pricey. And funny looking. Definitely funny looking.
I'm with you man! That "contraption" is ridiculous-looking and pricey, to say the least. But, you'll learn (like I did) that there's a lot of thin-skinned folk that hover in this neck of cyberspace. And they're usually better typists than riders! :D Besides...since when aren't you allowed to have an opinion?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Just guessing, but I would imagine that contraption would look a lot less ridiculous if you were physically disabled and it allowed you to keep riding. I know of a story similar to the one posted earlier, elderly gentleman, stroke etc (GW rider). Riding a trike just ain't the same, ya know?

Reactions: heywood
1 - 20 of 49 Posts