BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't found a good windshield for the LT. To much noise and turbulence. I start with the stock (tall) and try a Ztechnik. I ran both at 70 and 80 mph and of all the thing I like about the bike, I like the quiet of my CL better. My CL has the Laminar Lip and it is quiet and very little to no turbluence. So I tried the Lip on the LT, it's under $100 with shipping. I did need to put back on the stock windshield (5 min).

For the noise and turbluence it is great. I get a little wind on the shoulders because of the stock shield, none in the face or hemlet. Very quiet.

Down side - On my CL, I look over the shield (it doesn't move) and being short I have trouble looking over with the LT. I need to sit 'Tall'. you can look through the shield and if it's way up, below the lip. I have found that I like the shield a little lower so I look through the Lip and shield or two pieces of curved plasic. For slow going I find lowering the shield to look over. For highway speeds I look through the lip.

I really like the quiet, radio is great and no turbluence and I contend with looking through the lip.

As a note, I can move the shield at all speeds. I'm planing a long trip in 2 week, so time will tell.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
I too had the euro sheild then the stock and the V-Stream. Got a good deal on a used laminar lip and put it on the stock sheild. I am in quiet air (not great in 102 degree heat) and can see over the whole thing. I don't have a pillion report yet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
How much will it help the buffeting for the passenger?

·
Registered
786 Posts
There was an almost new Lip on here for an LT just a month or so ago for only $10 or so. I got one for the LT, and could not ride without it. I was running 80 mph all highway yesterday, had the radio playing with stock speakers, no problem with the sound.

There was an enormous amount of wind buffeting with all the traffic at those speeds, and not sure it would have been any better with any shield. But, I have no experience with anything else to offer much comparisons to, that I can recall well enough to provide useful info.

I can not ride with the shield all the way up (unless I am sitting on the passenger seat to stretch out, which really works well), as I can't see below the LIP, and I don't like looking through glasses + sun glasses, the helmet shield, the BMW and LIP, all combined. Too much distortion and all bugs make a real mess which is not easy to see through either.

I found using a shinny new finish nail on a small pair of vice grips, you can easily loosen the dual locks and move the LIP around. It does not damage the clips.

My passenger has not been on the bike long enough to offer any feedback for highway use....never seems to complain, just sleeps a lot.

If I had to try again, I would give the Cee Bailey a try.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do drive to work, 70+, biggest problem I've had is going too fast. I've been two up once so far had less then a week. Lots of crosswind that day. Wife didn't say much one way or another. Just commented on the crosswind.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm so sold on the lip, I drilled and tapped my windshield and bolted it on with nylon fasteners. I'd like to try the euro-cut version but I sold that windshield. Any thoughts on that combo?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had a laminar lip on my LT for 4 months. It does help to push the air flow higher, but I don't get the "quiet air" that others have talked about. I'm 6' 1", and my LT has the tall BMW windshield. When I get the chance I'm going to try a Cee Bailey windshield.

My daughter and I are on our way to the MOA rally. We're taking a tour before getting there - so far we've done 3400 miles in the last 9 days. So with that kind of experience, I asked her if she gets buffeted with the wind - it was a definite "yes". She puts her head down behind me to get out of it.

Does anyone know if Cee Bailey will be at the MOA rallly?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts