BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

:D :D :D

Have speakers on full volume so you can hear him clearly....he's a hoot.

This is the pilot I want flying MY plane whenever I take a trip.

Click here: Pilot

[font=Times New Roman, Times]

[/font]

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I dont think I want to fly with him. What if he misses his target and pierce's the planes skin? everyone will be sucked out the hole. so same out come different cause. Why not equip all the pilots with Tazzers.
Think about it!

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Armor piercing bullets can also be called plane piercing bullets. And a hole "the size of the Grand Canyon" would definitely affect the plane's overall stability. Think I'll pass, thanks.

Actually, I was waiting for Raffy's scary guy to come jumping out suddenly. :)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You have been watching way too many movies! :D

A bullet hole will not cause rapid depressurization in a commercial plane. If it does hit one of the windows, yes the person sitting next to it will experience some strong wind, laced with light objects sucked out, but it will not open up the side of the plane like in the movies. That is only in Hollywood.

Not that the show is much more than entertainment, but "Mythbusters" did a segment on this. Could not get a bullet to do more than create a bullet sized hole in a pressurized fuselage, even a small explosion they set off when they got tired of testing bullets did not cause explosive decompression.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
But do you know how many LEO's miss the intended target. we recently had an experience here where several LEO's unleashed firepower on three suspects in a pickup truck, over 100 rounds were fired. suspects were hit just a few times although one was killed you would expect all to have expired with that much gunfire. so put them in a plane with cofined space and 100+ passengers. I would not want to be in there!
Please dont misunderstand me I believe we all should be taught how to use a handgun and how to care for it and to carry one. Here in La we have many laws that allow us to carry a gun in our cars without much ado about it and if you use it for defense there is not much hassle. Here your car is an extension of your home. So there is no big deal about where you carry it or if it is loaded and all that. Just dont be out at night with a light and a gun in the woods, game warden may get excited.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thank you for the demystification, David...what you said.

I know of one major airline that intended to equip all cockpits with tazzers, and sent many pilots to school; a couple of whom I talked to thought it was very effective and a good use for it, but it was not to be. Probably too expensive. Meanwhile, up to a third of those pilots are now qualified to carry on board, but how many do it is unknown. The hassle of becoming and staying qualified, security concerns, and the liability of use of such is a PITA, yet some do. And, of course, the airline doesn't pay for the piece! I would like to see tazzers on board.

By the way, AFAIK, the sky marshalls are still riding the planes...a VERY expensive way to go. Anyone with an update on them?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
it is my understanding that sky marshalls carry special low-velocity bullets that will not pierce the fuselage. if there is no danger from depressurization why would that be?

not trying to pick a fight ... i'm just genuinely curious.

here's hoping none of us ever have to find out the truth first-hand ...

·
Registered
534 Posts
And what if he misses with the Tazzer? It's a one shot deal.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
There is no danger of "explosive decompression" from a bullet hole from normal hand gun. A bullet would put a hole in the skin or though a window, possibly damage flight controls, hydraulic lines etc. Air would leak out with a good whistle. The low power pistol would cause less damage, and less repairs afterward. To get "explosive decompression you need a bigger hole faster, like the roof getting torn off like Aloha Airlines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts