BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I thought I would give everyone a update on my Kontour Seats. I had both seats and back rests redone. I have ridden the bike on twisties for 2 and a half hours and no more pain the behind. Friends of mine who have seen my seats and have sat on them have also had their seats redone by Kontour Seats. I have yet to go on a long ride on the super slab to really give the seat a work out.

The super slab will probably have to wait until Spring or Summer do to all the rain we have been getting here in Nor Cal. I will keep everyone posted when I do.

:cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's great to hear been saving up to have my seat done, butt first i need to repair the rear seal leak, damn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Likewise I can report having received and installed my Kontour seat in late December. As we shifted to AZ in early January I have had a few opportunities to get out in a variety of ride types in the past couple of weeks.

I had the rider seat and backrest both fully "Kontour-ized" and the pillon just recovered to match as I only ride one-up. The service and craftsmanship in the finished product are excellent. The first thing I noticed was the strange sensation of actually feeling air circulating beneath me when seated. I can see why this seat is praised for performing well in warm climates. The seat feels good and it is easy to "plant" myself into the seat. After a few trial adjustments I got the rider backrest adjusted and it applies just the right amount of pressure to feel comfortable.

I have ridden about 800 miles total, across three rides, with probably half of that having been on a super slab. About 100 miles having been mountain twisties. The seat has done great but I feel that the backrest keeps pushing me forward on the seat. For additional testing I have removed the backrest and plan to ride a few hundred miles without it for comparison.

I will report more when I have more experience on the seat, but that's it for now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks G-MAN!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have about 8000 miles on mine now, and it is still great ! Best seat ever :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
GMassey said:
...The seat has done great but I feel that the backrest keeps pushing me forward on the seat. For additional testing I have removed the backrest and plan to ride a few hundred miles without it for comparison.

I will report more when I have more experience on the seat, but that's it for now.
I tried one of those bakrest, and I had the same experience. I wound up taking it off during the first part of my two week trip. It seems to be too high- above the small of my back, where it seems like it should go. Hopefully, it can be adjusted because it's another one of those high dollar farkles that's amounted to just another high dollar paper weight. :(

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Bmmmw said:
If you'd like to get rid of it, I'm looking for a low-dollar paper weight! :bmw:
I might be in touch, but it won't be before summer. I wouldn't bet the wind won't blow between now and then. :wave

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Just an FYI - the BakUp backrest (which we sell) for the LT can be adjusted up and down and fore and aft. Sometimes even the smallest adjustment can be a big help.

I personally can't ride my LT without mine for more than 50 miles - I start to slump in the seat and get tired. I'm fortunate that my back is in great shape. I like sitting bolt upright in the seat with a slight curve to my spine. Just like your Mom always told you to. :D Interestingly enough it also causes your pelvis to tilt forward at the same time, and for me this helps with over all balance as well. I just feel it gives me more of a *command* position on such a heavy bike.

I like LOTS of pressure on my lower back, and that's why we can modify it with dual density visco foam - without the foam it won't shape to your spine and gets old after a few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
All three back rests I've tried took a lot of playing around with to get a cimfortable position.

Once I statred palying around with the first one I understood why Ari motorized the adjustments.

Before my "Ronnieized" seat I get about 45 minutes before I started squirming. With his seat and an after market backrest I was able to ride untill I needed gas or I was running low on caffeen from green tea. Figure 300 miles to a tank and 75-80mph across Texas.

Bob

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
BecketMa said:
All three back rests I've tried took a lot of playing around with to get a cimfortable position.

Once I statred palying around with the first one I understood why Ari motorized the adjustments.

Before my "Ronnieized" seat I get about 45 minutes before I started squirming. With his seat and an after market backrest I was able to ride untill I needed gas or I was running low on caffeen from green tea. Figure 300 miles to a tank and 75-80mph across Texas.

Bob
Then came Ronson. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
So a further update on my KonTour and BakUp. As suggested below I did some adjustment in the positioning of the backrest and the degree of pressure. I have now done about 3,000 miles including one single day at a little over 600 miles in Arizona. I can safely say that it is now "dialed in" for me and as other posters have noted I can't imagine a more supportive and comfortable seat. I really like it. Thanks Ron! :clapping:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Wait till summer time. Nice and cooool. Only down side is that when it drops below about 60F my but can more than cool. When it rains the seat doesn't pick up water.

I wonder if Ron could do my ham radio room chair? :))

Bob

I always wondered what Bronson did for clothes? Same think for Buzz and the other character in Route 66.

When I read a little about life in the Old West, I was disappointed that unlike on TV and in Movies Native Americans did and do have to go to the bathroom. :))

Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
I too had a seat done by Ron in late fall/ early winter (can't remember exact date now lol)

I had only the drivers seat done and was able to get out on one ride of about 100miles. The airflow in seat was definately a first for me.. Not so good in the cold , but should be very nice in the hot. ( I much prefer my Concours for cold weather work anyhow, no comparison really, much the same as I prefer the LT for warmer weather).

I at first thought it was a huge improvement, but my butt was sore (all be it not near as much as before) by the time I got back.

I have not posted up earlier as I was waiting to put some real miles on it when the Mrs and I head to Florida soon for some real miles.(LT is loaded in the ToyHauler ready to roll)
I am hoping some more seat time will break the seat in and I will not have any soreness issues. The workmanship and finish on the seat is TOP NOTCH. We usually put about 3K miles on bike while we are gone so will have a more informed report then.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
LittleJoe said:
...I have not posted up earlier as I was waiting to put some real miles on it when the Mrs and I head to Florida soon for some real miles.(LT is loaded in the ToyHauler ready to roll)
I am hoping some more seat time will break the seat in and I will not have any soreness issues. The workmanship and finish on the seat is TOP NOTCH. We usually put about 3K miles on bike while we are gone so will have a more informed report then.
I'm confused about how you're going to get in some real miles w/ the bike being trailered. :confused: One would think getting to Florida would be the real miles, or do you plan to sit on the bike in the ToyHauler for the whole trip to Florida? :rotf:

It seems making the trip on the bike would beyond doubt give you a better assessment of the seat, as well as breaking it in. Just a thought. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
bikerj said:
I'm confused about how you're going to get in some real miles w/ the bike being trailered. :confused: One would think getting to Florida would be the real miles, or do you plan to sit on the bike in the ToyHauler for the whole trip to Florida? :rotf:

It seems making the trip on the bike would beyond doubt give you a better assessment of the seat, as well as breaking it in. Just a thought. :D
:histerica No worries about racking up the miles on a toy hauler!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ao3uUOVmQo8/TGaJvlRd9lI/AAAAAAAAd_8/2qh1iGQJXls/s1600/ole0TrailerBoyz.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Eric_R said:

Like they say, just when I thought I had seen it all. I bet they'll selling like hotcakes too. :rolleyes:

And for that authentic feel, purchase the TrailerBoyz II, where you not only rack up the miles on your speedo, but your butt aches as if it really did complete the Saddle Sore 1000!

"But wait! That's not all. If you'll order by credit card within the next seven minutes, we'll throw in free shipping when you upgrade for only another $199.99, where your ass will feel like it's been on a Butt Burner 1500, and you're speedo will even reflect the miles to prove it! And the best part is- you never have to unload your bike to do it! Amazing!" :histerica

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If I was Catholic, I'd feel compelled to go to Confession. :eek:
BUT I"M NOT!!! :histerica :histerica

:bike: One thing's for sure, if you trailer your bike, then you don't have to worry about an FD failure. :yeah:

Eric, thanks so much for the laugh. :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think you guys have to look where Little Joe is coming from;You would have to have your chains on to get there.NOT A FUN RIDE

Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
BecketMa said:
I wonder if Ron could do my ham radio room chair? :))

Bob
That is a great idea ! Those long hours in DX contests would be way more comfortable . Of course, most would have to be the "Magnum" if you consider what you see at hamfests :thumb:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts