BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a 2000 KLT apart for a rear main seal RR (54K miles). Pulled the swing-arm today. I need some opinions on the front Drive Shaft U-Joint "FEEL". Is a little center notch/valley normal?

It's not loose, moves evenly, BUT it has a noticeable notch or valley right in the middle, its present on both bearing pivots, seems as though it is right in the spot where the shaft lives most of its time in use. It doesn't hang up and no signs of damage or missing seals.

KLT was silky smooth last I rode it, 80 mph, never thought there was a problem till I hold the piece in hand.

I had a K75 I put a drive shaft in a few years ago, the vibration came through the foot pegs and the mirrors even blurred out. The u-joint on it had a serious hick-up on one side of the joint. This KLT u-joint seems very even. Not sure if this is RED FLAG or just run it till she breaks. Thanks

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Taking a 2000 KLT apart for a rear main seal RR (54K miles). Pulled the swing-arm today. I need some opinions on the front Drive Shaft U-Joint "FEEL". Is a little center notch/valley normal?

It's not loose, moves evenly, BUT it has a noticeable notch or valley right in the middle, its present on both bearing pivots, seems as though it is right in the spot where the shaft lives most of its time in use. It doesn't hang up and no signs of damage or missing seals.

KLT was silky smooth last I rode it, 80 mph, never thought there was a problem till I hold the piece in hand.

I had a K75 I put a drive shaft in a few years ago, the vibration came through the foot pegs and the mirrors even blurred out. The u-joint on it had a serious hick-up on one side of the joint. This KLT u-joint seems very even. Not sure if this is RED FLAG or just run it till she breaks. Thanks
Mark, The drive shaft is only sold as a unit with the only replaceable part being the snap ring that holds it in place. You can't disassemble it or grease it either as far as I know. If you are worried it is a little too lose, they are available used but you might be in the same boat not having it in your hands to examine prior to purchase. They don't move all that much so wear in that one point would be somewhat normal as long as it isn't binding. I will let some of the more experienced wrenches chime in on that but unless if is binding, I would put it back in and possibly look for a replacement later if it causes trouble as it isn't that hard to access. Just make sure you properly align the front and FD yokes when you put it back together. If it starts to bind up, I am sure you will know as on your K75.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Mine developed a notchiness some time ago and I acquired a spare low mileage shaft from e-bay. That was 40 K ago and it has not really gotten any worse but I will replace it next time I am in there (have a total of 98 K on the bike). U-joint failures on KLTs are very rare but they have happened. I look for dryness and hardness on the grease seals, if they look lubed and pliable I continue to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts