BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2020 rt. The Key fob won’t work unless I hold it directly under the tach and then press the start button. I changed the battery. No difference. It will not open the locks or set the alarm. I tested the battery it is good. Any ideas? After the bike is running it shows the icon with a question mark under it.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Maybe a new battery for the fob itself?

Reactions: Gomoca

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Can you set the alarm manually - ie., with the power switch?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My fob needed a new battery when that occurred

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 2020 rt. The Key fob won’t work unless I hold it directly under the tach and then press the start button. I changed the battery. No difference. It will not open the locks or set the alarm. I tested the battery it is good. Any ideas? After the bike is running it shows the icon with a question mark under it.
Bike is not seeing the keyfob. Doublecheck the fob battery is correct (it's a CR2032), good, and has the protective cover removed (from the battery). Also, make sure you're inserting the battery correctly in the fob. Any questions about which way the battery is inserted shouid be answered in your manual. When you push the center button, does the dash go through all its checks? Do you see a red dot in the upper dash panel about 2" from the right edge and about 1/2" from the bottom edge? If so, your bike is definitely not seeing the fob. Best bet -- get a new fob battery, make sure it's correctly inserted with its protective wrap removed, and try it again. Fob should be within 3' (IIRC) of the dash. I keep my fob in my front jeans pocket, under my ATGATT. When the battery is losing its charge, I first see the red dot giving me an early warning.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe a new battery for the fob itself?
Oh sorry. That’s the battery I replaced.
Can you set the alarm manually - ie., with the power switch?
I have not tried to set the alarm manually
Bike is not seeing the keyfob. Doublecheck the fob battery is correct (it's a CR2032), good, and has the protective cover removed (from the battery). Also, make sure you're inserting the battery correctly in the fob. Any questions about which way the battery is inserted shouid be answered in your manual. When you push the center button, does the dash go through all its checks? Do you see a red dot in the upper dash panel about 2" from the right edge and about 1/2" from the bottom edge? If so, your bike is definitely not seeing the fob. Best bet -- get a new fob battery, make sure it's correctly inserted with its protective wrap removed, and try it again. Fob should be within 3' (IIRC) of the dash. I keep my fob in my front jeans pocket, under my ATGATT. When the battery is losing its charge, I first see the red dot giving me an early warning.

Good luck!
ill try another battery. I don’t see a protective film on the battery nor can I feel anything on it.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Turn the front wheel all the way to the left.
Press and hold the power button until you hear the wheel lock engage and the alarm will chirp.
As noted by others, I also believe the fob isn't getting power from the battery.

·
Registered
484 Posts
All batteries are not equal, they should be, but when mine went in my fob it wouldn't work with the battery I bought. Got one from the dealer, all was fine, bizarre, but hey ho :)

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
103 Posts
All batteries are not equal, they should be, but when mine went in my fob it wouldn't work with the battery I bought. Got one from the dealer, all was fine, bizarre, but hey ho :)
Well, there ya go. If you go out and buy one of those "cheap", name brand batteries, instead of the BMW CERTIFIED AND BRANDED battery, you buy yourself nothing but trouble. Buy the 4x more expensive BMW brand, every time! 👍🤔🤣🤣🤣😣

·
Registered
484 Posts
Lol, like I said, I have no idea why the non branded battery didn't work, but it didn't and the branded one did, but could have been a bad battery I initially bought. But as I can afford a 20k bike I decided I could afford a battery from the dealership I was at, so all good ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
One possible explanation.

I have another device that takes the same battery. One day it needed a new one. I put one in, it didn't work. I checked another battery before putting it in, still didn't work. I checked the batteries I had just taken out and they weren't good, but were before I inserted them.

A bit of careful examination revealed that the batteries I was using were incompatible with the device metal connections. The connections actually shorted out the battery. Not by much, but enough. I tried other make battery and they worked fine.

The "specification" for the button cells does not include where one contact ends and the other starts.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
103 Posts
Lol, like I said, I have no idea why the non branded battery didn't work, but it didn't and the branded one did, but could have been a bad battery I initially bought. But as I can afford a 20k bike I decided I could afford a battery from the dealership I was at, so all good ;)
I wasn't ragging on ya, just joking around. It just seems like the truth, at times. Gotta have the BMW bolt for $8.00 because the hardware store bolt has the wrong threads, strips out, etc..

(And, don't get me started on BMW service. While a good mechanic is worth his charges, when you use BMW service, you also get BMW parts mark-up's, 400% on occasion. Tough to stomach that kind of bill for parts.)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I replaced a Fob battery with a new one that had been sitting for a couple of years. It worked, but the "your fob battery is getting low" light was still on my bike dashboard. I changed it again. Same thing. Bought a new one and changed it... its been worked great for over 2 years now.

·
Premium Member
5,975 Posts
I replaced a Fob battery with a new one that had been sitting for a couple of years. It worked, but the "your fob battery is getting low" light was still on my bike dashboard. I changed it again. Same thing. Bought a new one and changed it... its been worked great for over 2 years now.
Not a surprise! I was just waiting to see what you find! I have many devices that uses that same battery, and therefore keeps a stash on hand. A while back, when I replaced the fob battery, I had gotten the same low battery indication right off the bat, which made me check, and sure enough the voltage was lower than what it should be. Brand new, off-brand, battery right out of the package! I tossed the whole lot and got a new stash of name-brand ones, and things have been fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
BTDT years ago. The only battery name I really trust is Duracell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I put another new battery different brand checked the voltage still the same issue. I hooked my GS 911 to the bike and there are no faults in the keyless entry. More research is telling me the fob has lost contact with the bike. Page 58/59 EWS electronic immobilizer. But what makes no sense to me is….. if I hold the fob under the tach it will light up and start the bike. Almost like the emergency key only on the bottom instead of the top of the dash panel.

well it’s off to the dealer later this week to see what they have to say. I will update you all when I find out more. Thanks for all the reply’s

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
442 Posts
But what makes no sense to me is….. if I hold the fob under the tach it will light up and start the bike. Almost like the emergency key only on the bottom instead of the top of the dash panel.
Why makes no sense? The fob and emergency key shares the same passive parts (RFID), the fob just has the active part too for convenience and remote control. Without a working battery you are left with the passive part only, hence having to use it like an emergency key.

It is possible the key was erased from the bike's memory, the dealer should be able to confirm that and fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,975 Posts
Why makes no sense? The fob and emergency key shares the same passive parts (RFID), the fob just has the active part too for convenience and remote control. Without a working battery you are left with the passive part only, hence having to use it like an emergency key.

It is possible the key was erased from the bike's memory, the dealer should be able to confirm that and fix it.
Exactly! The manual even tell you to do exactly that if your fob had "died" because of the battery. (In the 2021 RT manual anyway. May not be in the OP's 2020 RT manual). It tells you that there is no problems with the linkage between fob and bike, but the more powerful signal isn't being generated by the fob, and hence why we all are pointing at the battery in the fob!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts