BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my battery. The owners manual says to open the key and push up on the back cover. ....no arrow to show if it slides up, to the side or what ever

Tried to pry up and now have a slightly damaged seam.

I learn the hard way not to force things....here is the stupid question.....

"Which way is up? 馃お
Jim

Premium Member
Which RT?

BTW, for the wethead 1200s, it takes a lot of force to get that cover off! Don't try to force it at the seam, or you will get what you have gotten! I can't remember how I did it!

Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Maybe it slides rather than pops open? Don't know.

Registered
Pry it apart inside where the key is stored that way you do not see the damage from prying, except of course when key out.
If you are still young enough to still be able to rip open a bag of chips you may be able to just pop it off with a thumb, otherwise probably have to pry at the seam :)

Reactions: steveaikens

Premium Member
BTW, for those of you guys who has the new '21 RT, you need to be aware that the battery for the remote is no longer CR2032! Look at your manual. The new remote uses a larger battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.....yesterday I broke the tabs on two smoke alarms when painting a ceiling. I followed the instructions that were unclear....no tabs on this key....thank for the info.

Registered
When I changed mine last November I ended up looking for a you tube video because the owner's manual was not clear to me. I think I found this same video. What I do is to get it started by gently sliding a tiny flathead screw driver into the seam to break it loose. Then I finish by pulling it off. Battery type is listed as a 2032 in my owner's manual for my 2019 RT.

Registered
2015 R1200RT
I change the battery in my 2015 remote every year. It gets much easier after the first time

Registered
BTW, for those of you guys who has the new '21 RT, you need to be aware that the battery for the remote is no longer CR2032! Look at your manual. The new remote uses a larger battery.
My 2021 remote uses a 2032 even though the manual says 1632 (which is smaller than the 2032, not larger).

Registered
This makes me wonder if BMW is using some of the older FOBs on the new bikes. The 2032 is 20mm DIA and the 1632 is 16mm DIA - same thickness and voltage. Are the FOBs a similar design with the flip-out key?

Registered
My fob has the flip out key shown on page 67/68 of the manual where it also says it's a 1632. It is definitely a 2032 because I opened it up to look.

Premium Member
My 2021 remote uses a 2032 even though the manual says 1632 (which is smaller than the 2032, not larger).
That's good to know, thanks!!! I do have a stash of 2032 which I uses on other devices as well, but if I can use it in the fob, it will certainly be better.

Registered
Bugger - I just ordered a 1632 from Amazon this morning. Read the above so opened my fob to look - yep, it's a 2032 馃槩

Premium Member
I used the blunt end of a linemans pliers....it fit perfectly in the slot

Registered
I will buy one!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts