BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably belongs in the regional section, but I couldn't decide between south west or mid west, so here it goes.

I just got of the phone with the Guy whose Bushtec trailer I just bought on E-bay. He lives just north of Houston.

The plan is to ride to Houston next week, hook up the trailer and continue riding for a couple more weeks with my recently retired wife.

I had considered maybe Natches Trace, the aquarium in Chattanooga and eventually the Blue ridge parkway to view the changing of the leaves.

The guy in Texas recommended I ride on to Kerrville and see the Texas hill country and from there run up through the Ozarks towards the Smoky mountains.

I am not familiar with either one of his suggestions and I am looking for some input, whatta-ya think plan A or plan B?

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
You probably can't go wrong with either/any of those plans.

I drove (a car) through the TX Hill Country once. Had no idea Texas could look like that. If you haven't seen it, go thataway. Be prepared to pull over for photo-taking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check out www.tbmwsr.com, the site for the K12RS Texas Hill Country Rally.

There are maps there showing the best roads to ride. It is quite different from most of Texas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
hills

We just got back from the Kerrville area, try to get out there a few times a year, the ride down hwy 16 to Medina, stop at the apple store, west on 337 to 336 is one of my favorite all time rides. If you want fall colors, make a stop at Lost Maples. There is a lot of great riding, great shopping - to make sure you fill up that new trailer, and wonderful food and people. There is my nickles worth, have fun!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I went down to Fredericksburg this spring to see the gang down in that area. I rode 337, 336, 335 early Sunday morning - had the rode to myself (except for the deer) most of the day.

Saying the scenario was beautiful would be a gross understatement - I hope to get back this spring to do it again and maybe sniff the flowers a bit more (ie stop and enjoy).

I found the roads to be very well maintained and well marked... If the sign says there is a 10mph curve, then you better not try to go very much over that!

I have lived in NE Oklahoma on the western fringes of the Ozarks and they are enjoyable as well, but to be honest I haven't ridden my LT there - yet. Some of the folks make a pilgrimage to Eureka Springs a couple times a year - if you can find those posts on the old board, you'll get a flavor for the types of roads/scenario you'll experience.

I don't think you will go wrong with either and preferably both!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hill Country Love

I live about 20 miles sw of Bandera near Lake Medina, and ride the Hill Country at will. (I have to comute in on FM1283...aw shucks, aint too bad...to San Antonio.) Anyhoo, cut cross country from Houston through Austin and enter the HC via Wimberly, Sisterdale, Luckenbach, etc. to Bandera. Then take a left between Bandera and Medina and ride the 'Three Sisters' or the 3s as they are called. Wonderful roads if I do say so myself. But do these during the week to avoid the hoards of bikes (many HDs) on the roads this time of year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
"The Aet of The Motorcyle"

Just returned form the falling Leaf Rally in MO, Checked out the on “The Art of the Motorcycle” ( www.wonders.org ) on the way. It's at the Pyramid in Memphis till the 30th. Go by Bumpus HD and pick up discount tickets, plus a parking pass. If you missed this exhibit when it was in NYC or Vegas, it was worth our time..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ride Back East

After the Texas hill country head for Queen Willameana (sic) state park in western Arkansas. Ride to it via the Skyway from southearn Ok - then across Ark on Hy either of 7, 9, 16 or 26 - then into Miss to the Natchez Trace into Nashville - across Tenn on hy 19 (nice and curvy) into the Smokies at the Cherkola (sic) skyway, then down the Tail of the Dragon (371 curves in 17 miles) into Gatlinburg - then across the moutains to the Blue Ridge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts