BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at the Kendon Single Rail trailer. With my limited garage space I like the fold up design. Looking at the users manual it states that you should have two people load the bike. Since I will be by myself when loading and unloading at home, I was wondering if any of you ride up the ramp. Looks like it should not be a problem getting your feet down while riding up and down.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jsciullo said:
Im looking at the Kendon Single Rail trailer. With my limited garage space I like the fold up design. Looking at the users manual it states that you should have two people load the bike. Since I will be by myself when loading and unloading at home, I was wondering if any of you ride up the ramp. Looks like it should not be a problem getting your feet down while riding up and down.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, I have a two-rail Kendon -- same idea, just wider. I would not even *think* about trying to ride up on just the stock ramp. The trailer deck is at least a foot off the ground, and unless you have a 40" inseam, there's no way you could reach the ground with one foot as you roll up the ramp, even if you were sliding *way far* off the side of the saddle.

I do, however, have the ability to load the bikes by myself, because I have a couple 8' ramps for loading things like lawn tractors into a pickup. I drilled holes in the deck plate at the rear edge of the Kendon for removable bolts w/wing nuts to secure the ramp ends. One ramp is aligned with the bike rail (for the bike's wheels), and one ramp is set parallel, a foot or two to the side, for walking with a supporting foot as I ride the bike up the ramp.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Kendon

I just bought a Kendon and tried loading my V Strom this weekend as a prelude to eventually loading up the K1200LT.
I used the driveway slope to minimize the angle and "walked" the bike on under its own power while standing on the ground. It was not a pleasant experience and I instantly missed my Chariot's full width ramp. I can't imagine how I'm going to handle the K1200 and I don't know what an extra person could do to help. Problem Number three is the very slippery diamond plate - some "Safety Walk" tape will be absolutely essential on that surface. Problem Number Three is the rotating chock gizmo. It was a bear to get the 435# V Strom out of it and I'd guess it will be nearly impossible with the K1200 without another set of hands to push/lift the bike.
A wider ramp would be a big help so the bike can be ridden onto the trailer, but at this point, I can't figure how to make that work since the back end of the trailer tapers down to about 10 inches wide.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thankls for the response. Looks like I need to consider another direction. Its just me so I really need something that I can load by myself.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jsciullo said:
Hey guys thankls for the response. Looks like I need to consider another direction. Its just me so I really need something that I can load by myself.
Thanks,
Jim
Maybe I wasn't clear -- I can and do load my Kendon by myself. I substituted my own ramps so that I have a place to put my foot down while driving up, but that's the only difference from a stock trailer.

Last thoughts: Loading single-handed is not a real problem (you're sweating bullets balancing 850 lb. a foot or two above the ground, but that feeling is not Kendon-caused -- it will always be there).

Unloading, however, can be an issue for one reason: It is a bear to get something the LT's size out of the wheel chock. Nonetheless, between the reverse gear and a strong pull rearward on the handlebars, it will come out. That said, I have yet to need to try to unload alone (other than to load/unload as a test at home to confirm I can do it). While it seems no one is ever around when I need to load a bike, I've never arrived at a destination where there isn't someone willing to give me a hand to get out of the chock.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jim,
If you're looking for something really easy to load single handed, look at the Chariot Cycle Sled 9'.
http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=32
The full width ramp self stores underneath and just slides out when you need it. Storage of the trailer, however, isn't as easy as with the Kendon. I just sold mine because of the storage issue.

Mark,
With the back end of the single rail Kendon tapering to a narrow 10 inches or so, it won't be easy devising a foot rail solution on at least one side. I'll probably think of something because I need the fold up capability or more garage.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
johnmckinley said:
With the back end of the single rail Kendon tapering to a narrow 10 inches or so, it won't be easy devising a foot rail solution on at least one side. I'll probably think of something because I need the fold up capability or more garage.
John, thanks very much for the correction! It never dawned on me that the singles would have a different tail, but looking just now at the Kendon site, it's obvious why.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
jsciullo said:
Thanks,
Jim
I have a 1 year old Kendon single rail for sale $1250. I have used it to tow LT's GS's RS's and my Duc. I ussualy load them by myself but if I can get help with the LT I do just to be safer.

Let me know if you're interested

[email protected]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Kendon Loading

I have an older Kendon single rail (No chock) and I use it to trailer my R100GS with great success. The R100GS is light enough that I can just push it up and hold it with one hand while I attach the tie downs. I have never had the nerve to try to load my K1200LT on it because even if I could push it up the ramp and on the trailer (actually I probably could do that but it would be tough) I wouldn't be able to hold it upright while I attached the tie downs.

If anyone has figured out how to do it I would certainly like to know as it would be great to be able to trailer the LT.

The Kendon is really great to tow by the way.

Jerry Miller

1 - 11 of 11 Posts