BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good 150 mile run with my mate Eddy on our matching LT1200SE's a small problem was noticed.
It was just above freezing as we toured Shropshire and over a cup of tea we both discovered the problem in these conditions was that we both had cold feet.
My previous bike an 1800 GoldWing, I had fitted some footwings and there was also a vent from the exhaust area, so no cold feet.
Has anyone made or fitted any type of feet/foot warmers or small fairing type foot protectors on their 1200LT's any advice much appreciated.
What a great bike otherwise, it's a little secret in the UK with most riders brainwashed into a Wing.
Thanks Stevie C-D

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Get the Gerbing heated boot insoles and ride.
$60 US
Even better if you have the jacket liner and gloves to go together.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
Before I got my electric socks I would throw a chemical hand warmer packet ($0.99 each US) in each boot. Keeps the toes toasty.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ditto on what John says. For a cheap no frills fix, Wallyworld sells ToastiToes, I've kept them in my ski bag for years and used them on colder rides. They work well once they get heated up and last 7-8 hrs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Gerbings insoles are the best thing out there, guaranteed. They will keep your feet warm in any weather. The best apparel accessory I own.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:D
Hi Stephen,
Being either "Stooopid" or a "hard biker" I ride all year round, (except snow and ice :rotf: ) both on/off duty.
I am fortunate enough to have found heated garments similar to the ones mentioned by my fellow riders above.
I use BikeTek products off duty, I have the jacket(keeping the old arms warm as well as the body area), trousers, gloves and insoles.....very very toastie during the cold spell !!
All these items plug into each other and can be controlled by the single temp controller, the only point I would raise is that on the low setting they are hot!
I have only worn the gloves twice as I honestly prefer the "feel" of the controls when I use "summer" short gloves and up until Nov 2010 that's what I was wearing on/off duty, together with the heated grips :D
Hope this helps....

Rossy

:bmw:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys
I wasn't going up the heated clothing route, more the attach something to the bike route.
Looks like Eddy and I will be working with pieces of cut up silver bucket, a heat gun and some nails, we will make something :D

pictures to follow

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
stephencd1 said:
Looks like Eddy and I will be working with pieces of cut up silver bucket, a heat gun and some nails, we will make something :D
So you're gonna glue and nail this stuff to your boots? :D

I've seen many LTs with bits of the lower fairing ground off due to extreme lean angles, so I'd be hesitant to affix something solid down there. You might want to look into fashioning a piece of heavy rubber (truck mudguard or similar) into a lower fairing shield. That way, it would offer protection but also flex out of the way when you're tilted way over . . .

·
Registered
244 Posts
Stephen,
I found this old post on some "wings" for the foot.. I am looking for a website as well.. but here is a start for you..

The guy can be reached at; [email protected] If you would like to see his pics, I uploaded them to the members picture albums. I haven't looked but just seach for an album by me, JCarver.
As for how well they work, don't know yet, haven't had time to put them on yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't posted anything in a while, but this one is something I have some experience with and thought I might be able to help. I've ridden numerous times with temps in the 30's F and a few times 19 to 23 F for a couple hundred miles. I don't use any heated clothing. I have high topped 1000G insulated hunting boots that I wear for the really cold rides. I just make sure I lace them loose so I have good blood circulation, turn the seat heat on to warm the femoral arteries and the blood flowing to my feet and I haven't had cold feet yet. I like the thick soles on the boot too, more insulation from the bottom and I like the extra gripping of the lugged soles at stops.

Hope this helps, Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Matt, but the thought of Ed and I with a silver bucket, a Stanley knife, a heat gun and some sticky backed plastic is just too much for me to live without. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts