BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Keep the Backlight on???

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  PeterV 
#1 ·
Hi folks - like many others I find it impossible to see the digits on the computer screen on my 2010 RT. I notice at night it is very clear with the back-light on.

I wondered if anyone knows of a way to keep the instrument back-light on at all times the ignition is on? I know there is some gigery-pokery folks can do with the side lights etc, so wondered about this too.

#2 ·
Immediately after starting, if you push the button on the dash below the tachometer it shows a scale for adjusting the brightness of the back-light. The process is described in the owner's manual. It will be defeated during daylight by the sensor at the bottom of the instruments that regulates the back-light brightness according to ambient light.

The LCD panel is more difficult to read if you wear sunglasses or have a UV coated face shield on your helmet. It is much more visible during daylight if you have nothing between your eyes and the screen. There is another current thread dealing with this topic here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69552

#3 ·
This procedure adjust the grightneess of the screen only when backlight is on, i.e. when it is dark outside. This button even do not function when you attempt to push it during daylight.

I have attempted to adjust the daylight brightness , however this button really seems to be only for the backlight during the nighttime

#4 ·
Anyone know where the light sensor is that detects night time riding? Might be able to cover it so the bike thinks its dark out!

#8 ·
Correctly stated by MPitchell in this topic:http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69552
"Polarized glasses make GPS & other screens difficult to read". This is because LCD screens use polarization filters, see also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display
If the problem of reading the display is connected to wearing sunglasses, they could be the cause of the lowered readability.
I can read the display under all conditions (that is to say, I can see it, reading can becomes more difficult due to farsightedness :( )

#9 ·
My reading vision has been a victim of the 40 plus club. When I ride I found that using a pair of bifocals works best. I can see the road perfect and a slight glance down without moving my head I can read the display just fine. If I wear sunglasses it's still good but depending on how much surrounding light there is and the position of the sun. It is all a matter of adjustments by the individual rider. I am very pleased with the bifocals setup. It works great.
I do wear the bifocals with a shaded face shield day time and swap out to the clear shield at night.

#11 ·
I guess I'm wondering if the backlight would actually make the LCD panel more readable in the daylight :confused: .

If you're up for it, you could always take the instrument cluster out, unscrew the clear plastic cover from the display, and put a very small electrical tape "dot" over the sensor. This should force the backlighting on. I've removed the IC on my '09 RT and it's doable. Just use the first group of steps shown HERE to remove it.

However I would suggest that before you do this procedure, you do your best to block the light from the left side of the IC (using a clean, dark cloth and some tape) enough to activate the backlight, then see if it actually helps.

#12 ·
I think it's just the way these screens are, I have the same problem in my truck when looking at the radio, temp, compass etc.

On the bike I simply tilt my head back very slightly and look under my sunglasses. You could also probably see it fine without polarized glasses but that probably isn't advisable.

#14 ·
TheoM said:
If you're up for it, you could always take the instrument cluster out, unscrew the clear plastic cover from the display, and put a very small electrical tape "dot" over the sensor. This should force the backlighting on. I've removed the IC on my '09 RT and it's doable.

Why not just cover the entire speedometer without taking anything apart?

#16 ·
I am really disappointed with BMW designers for their current design. For many of us the current offering is poor at best. They spend a lot for sensors and make it difficult for many of us to read them. The designers should revisit functionality rather than the appearance of design style.

That being said I put RADTECH Clearvue over my display. Also some tape over the 'dot'. I also installed the K bike surround this all helped somewhat. The reflections are reduced. I really want to take a quick glance at the instruments to see what is going on and pay attention for DISTRACTED drivers that might stray into MY zone.

I have always liked the white on black aircraft dials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.